VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Possible story on my Vanishing Breed

Possible story on my Vanishing Breed Empty Possible story on my Vanishing Breed

Post by Guest Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:28 pm

I got this email today and answered it. I copied the email and my answers so you all can read it.

Mike Cook

----- Original Message ----
    To: mdcsr173rd@yahoo.com
    Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 3:10:25 PM
    Subject: Stater Bros. Route 66 Rendezvous - 1966 Ford Van -- Mike Cook

Your vehicle entry form was passed to me for a possible story for our program that is published close to the Rendezvous by The Sun Newspaper and also Word Mill. There are some questions I would like you to complete. Also, we need a high resolution photo of your vehicle to include when submitting the story, and if you restored it, if you have a before and after photo that would be great. Also, since Inland Vans Berdoo will be inducted into the Hall of Fame this year, it would be great to have an accompanying story about one of the vans!

1. Give me some background on the vehicle. When did you purchase/acquire it? Was it restored, or did you do it or have it done? How long did the restoration take?

ANSWER: I purchased my van four years ago from a member of my van club, Steve Portias. It was basically stock with wood paneling and a new paint job. I got started right away customizing it. Some of the work I did myself but since I am a disabled veteran I had to have help with the rest. I had the 347 stroker motor built by a shop in North Carolina that specializes in Nascar motors. It was installed by Bergee Automotive here in San Bernardino. Joe Bergee and his father and crew also installed the new rear end and transmission, added disc brakes all around and completely rewired the Van. I had Evans Auto Care in San Bernardino paint it candy apple red and also do all the upholstery. Jack at Pink House Kustoms did the graphics. All of the glass was cut and installed by Mark English of San Bernardino. Virtualy every nut and bolt was taken off and replaced. The restoration took three years and was well worth all the time and effort spent. I must add that my wife Gail was very supportive and helped me a lot with the build

2. Was there a reason that you purchased this particular vehicle? (1st car as teenager, year you were born, memories from childhood, proposed to my wife in a vehicle like this, etc.) If there is a good story about that, it would be great to hear it!

ANSWER: I bought the van for two reasons. One I have been a member of Inland Vans Berdoo since 1974 and love these old Econolines and second it was built the year I graduted from high school.

3. Is there any history that goes along with this vehicle. (i.e.., used to deliver food to Jack Stater..., owned previously by someone notable, used in Rose Bowl parade, anything that the public would find interesting.) Has it won any awards? If so, what are they?

ANSWER: It was formally a Bell telephone truck. It has been in a Honda Oddysee commercial, on "Pimp My Ride", and was filmed recently for the new "Fast and Furious movie starring Vin Diesel and has been in Truckin Magazine, and Japans largest car Magazine. A guy came to my home from Tokyo to take pictures and right the story. It has won awards twice at the Route 66 Rendezvous three times at the Veterans Car show as well as 15 Best in show awards, several best paint, best interior, most creative etc. 42 awards in 38 shows. It has also been in newspapers and was Car of the month once and Car of the Day at the 2005 Route 66 Rendezvous.My van was also Show off of the Month on cardomain.com. you can see it at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/733977 .

4. Is this the only classic vehicle you own? Have you owned others? How long has this been a hobby...or is it more than a hobby? If you own other vehicles, how many and what are they? How do you choose which to bring to the Rendezvous?

ANSWER: I own two other Econolines like this one, one a 1964 and the other a 1965 that I am working on. I have owned several more of these Econlines over the years. My 1966 which is the one we are talking about is always in the Rendezvous and this year I will have my blue 1964 Econoline there too. These vans are more than a hobby, they are very much a part of my life.

5. Do you belong to any car clubs? How far do you travel to car shows? How many car shows do you attend per year? Do you always take your vehicle, or do you go also as a spectator?

ANSWER: I am Vice president of "Inland Vans Berdoo" and have been a member since 1974. We go as far as Pasadena to car show. I always take a van to the shows. We attend up to 15 a year. I also am a member of two great online vanning sites: www.vannin.com and http://www.vintage-vans.com/. I get a lot of information and help from the great people at both sites. Vanners always stick together and help each other. We are a family of vans.

6. How many times have you attended Route 66 Rendezvous? Does the nostalgia of Route 66 have any meaning to you? Can you share a story about traveling on Route 66?

ANSWER: I have been to every Route 66 Rendezvous. I have a lot of memories of traveling Route 66 with my parents. We only made it as far as Texas each time but I remember the old Burma shave signs and the gas stations with the huge arrows and the Teepee motels and the Indian trading Posts more than anything else. I once stopped at a gas station in New Mexico on the route when a couple walked up and offered me $5000.00 for my son who was a baby. I wasn't thrilled about that.

7. What events do you participate in the Route 66 Rendezvous? Poker Run? Burn-out Contest? Neon Light Contest? Open Header Contest? Model Car Contest? What is your favorite part of attending this event? Music? Classics? Food?

ANSWER: I usually don't participate in any of the above events. My favorite part is seeing all the custom rides and talking to everyone about my van as well as seeing people I haven't seen in a long time. The music gives a perfect atmosphere too.

8. What is your favorite thing about owning this vehicle?

ANSWER: It is a blast to drive and brings back memories for a lot of those that owned vans back in the 70's which was vannings heyday.

Thanks for all of your help with this. I look forward to talking with you soon!

If you could get this information back to me within the next week, it will have a better chance of making the program. You can respond via email, just hit reply and you will be able to insert your answers under each questions. You must hit reply first, however.

The old green van is the way my van looked at first then it was paint yellow and finally red. The blue van is my current project that will also be at the Redezvous this year.

Karen Blanco
    Director of Communications
    San Bernardino Convention & Visitors Bureau
    Stater Bros. Route 66 Rendezvous
    Berdoo Bikes & Blues Rendezvous
    California Welcome Center - San Bernardino
    Phone: 909-891-1151 ext. 28
    Toll Free: 800-867-8366 ext. 28
    1955 Hunts Lane, Suite 102
    San Bernardino, CA 92408-3344
    www.san-bernardino.org
    www.route-66.org
    www.cwcinlandempire.com

Mike Cook

Vice President

Inland Vans Berdoo

American by birth
    VANNING SINCE 1969
    ROUTE 66 HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE
    1964 ECONOLINE "VANTIQUITY" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960709
    1965 ECONOLINE "LIL BLUE" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3093714
    1966 ECONOLINE "VANISHING BREED" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/733977
    2006 F-150
    AMERICAN BY BIRTH VANNER BY CHOICE
    LIFE MEMBER OF "THE MILITARY ORDER OF THE PURPLE HEART"
    LIFE MEMBER OF "THE AMERICAN LEGION"
    LIFE MEMBER OF "DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS"
    THIRD DEGREE BLACK BELT IN KEMPO KARATE
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Possible story on my Vanishing Breed Empty Re: Possible story on my Vanishing Breed

Post by Kakster Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:28 pm

Sounds like you might get another 15 minutes of fame! Congratulations. Hope it works out and we vintage vanners get some positive press.

Kakster
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Possible story on my Vanishing Breed Empty Re: Possible story on my Vanishing Breed

Post by G-Man Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:13 pm

Alway great to see early's in the spotlight!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:03 am