VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
Scott
BADBADGER
67a 100 pickup
DanTheVanMan
kookykrispy
G-Man
jkr
11 posters

Anyone knows about old paints??

Anyone knows about old paints?? - Page 2 Empty soda blasting

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:36 pm

I HAVE A SODA BLASTER THAY WORK I PICKED IT UP AT HARBOH FREIGHT FOR $100 it did a find job it's the only way to go

Anyone knows about old paints?? - Page 2 Empty soda blasting

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:36 pm

I HAVE A SODA BLASTER THAY WORK I PICKED IT UP AT HARBOH FREIGHT FOR $100 it did a find job it's the only way to go
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Anyone knows about old paints?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone knows about old paints??

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:26 pm

There is a lot of stuff in auto paint one shouldn't breath. A good respirator, coveralls right the the wash and gloves should do the trick when stripping. I've painted a bunch of old vehicles and never had a problem if they were prepped and primed properly. Keep the lead on the car as it is safer coated out than airborne. Lead is a terrific rust preventer too. Just my 2 cents.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Anyone knows about old paints?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone knows about old paints??

Post by mo_1040 Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:51 pm

The old paint on my van has kept it from rusting for over 40 years... I left it on! I painted over the old paint and no problems... If this lead is so dangerous...tell me...what do you guys do with it after you strip it off the van??? Throw it in the garbage??? Sweep it to the curb to go down the rain gutter??? Or maybe sweep it up with the soda to use in the sandblaster again??? Or does it actually end up going to a hazardous waste site???
    My vote....leave it on....just my 2 cents...
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:23 pm

I got a soda blaster from Harbor Freight today plus 100 lbs of soda. I tried it out, but I have several thick layers of paint/primer, so I didn't get very far. Found out my grill used to be chrome! I also got a straight line sander. I'm going to get the bulk of the old paint off with the sander then hit the last layer and contours with the soda.

What grit sand paper do you guys recommend?
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:38 pm

I found that 80 grit worked well goin through the 4 coats of paint on my pick-up used about 2 rolls on a DAAnyone knows about old paints?? - Page 2 Gedc0436
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:52 am

What do you use to seal the bare metal between sanding and primer?

What is the best way to deal with the small embedded pits of rust so they don't mess up the paint down the road?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content