VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

steering gearbox.

mothradeath
    mothradeath

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2009-06-17

steering gearbox. Empty steering gearbox.

Post by mothradeath Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:23 pm

i swapped out the steering column in my van with a different one that came with it. now instead of the almost full turn of play in the steering i now only have about 1/4. i still fuggin hate it. what are my options and is there any easy solution to get rid of it? somebody said it should be adjustable but i didnt see anything on it that would lead me to believe that. i see MAC's rebuilds steering boxes from almost $500 to $650 bucks. wtf? thats ALOT of money. especially since i only paid 6 hundred for the van. tell me i have options?

steering gearbox. Empty Re: steering gearbox.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:17 pm

There is a screw on the box that you can adjust it with.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:06 pm

First of all???????? did you swap the steering column or the steering box??? If you swapped the column there is no adjustment other than the gap between the wheel and the upper bowl. If you swapped steering boxes, theres is an adjusment screw and lock nut on the outside of the box, just under the shifter arms on the column itself. The adustment screw is slotted, and locked in position with the lock nut. Be careful over tightening it, or it could lock up on you. Adjust in the center of your turning, and dont over tighen it. In regards to price invested,,, whew,, bad on you,,,, These trucks are a of love,,,, regardless of what you paid for it,, cost of parts is cost of parts, does that mean you wil only pay $5 bucks for used tires also???????? BTW> there is a company in San Diego,, that specializes in rebuilding the steering boxes,, last price I heard from them about $200.
    oldskool

POWER CRAFT`
    440 Olive Nth
    Vista, CA 92083
    760) 806-9497

Last edited by RipVanArkie on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : offensive content)

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:22 pm

Napa charges $600.00 to rebuild the steering box. $200.00 sounds like a damn good deal to me if they actually rebuild them and not just clean them and put in new seals. I know people that do just that and charge $200.00 so be careful and ask questions

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:49 pm

think about it. these vans are over 40 years old and have no appeal to the general public and even very little amongst the classic car world. the fact that you can get it rebuilt, meaning not just taken apart and cleaned out a little but replace worn parts seals etc is pretty good. 600 sounds reasonable to me. besides get used to it, nothing for these vans is cheap or easy. hardly any one makes replacement parts finding used ones in good condition is a pain and once you find it they either are practically giving it away because they think its worthless or they want an arm and a both legs for "barely used!" because they know its so rare. its how the van itself is too. you can get a really nice solid one for dirt cheap like i did because they'd never seen one before and had no idea what is was worth or you can pay upwards of a grand for terrible bondo work and crappy looking square headlight conversions with half an engine, no glass and a torched interior.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:03 pm

mothradeath wrote:
    Old Skool wrote:First of all???????? did you swap the steering column or the steering box??? If you swapped the column there is no adjustment other than the gap between the wheel and the upper bowl. If you swapped steering boxes, theres is an adjusment screw and lock nut on the outside of the box, just under the shifter arms on the column itself. The adustment screw is slotted, and locked in position with the lock nut. Be careful over tightening it, or it could lock up on you. Adjust in the center of your turning, and dont over tighen it. In regards to price invested,,, whew,, bad on you,,,, These trucks are a of love,,,, regardless of what you paid for it,, cost of parts is cost of parts, does that mean you wil only pay $5 bucks for used tires also????????
    BTW> there is a company in San Diego,, that specializes in rebuilding the steering boxes,, last price I heard from them about $200.
    oldskool

POWER CRAFT`
    440 Olive Nth
    Vista, CA 92083
    760) 806-9497

I think we all agree that $600.00 is way to high but that is the average price to have one rebuilt correctly. personally $200.00 sounds good til you consider for someone to do it for one third the average price they just might be taking shortcuts, using old parts or just doing like I said before and cleaning them up and adding new seals. Your life depends on the steering box working correctly so why take chances. I would say your life and those of anyone riding with you is worth paying to have it done right. I had one go out on me years ago that was supposed to have been rebuilt but wasn't but I was lucky I was only going maybe 10 mph at the time and was able to stop quickly.

Last edited by RipVanArkie on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : offensive content)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:16 pm

So,,,,,,lets see if I can get some information up here before this post gets deleted,,,,,,,If you have a lot of play in the steering wheel, rotate it through the slop and watch the pitman arm under the van while you rock the steering wheel. IF the pitman arm moves THEN there is a problem in the linkage, like the drag link, tie rods, center link, kingpins or wheel bearings. If the pitman DOES NOT MOVE while you rock the steering wheel back and forth, then the steering box has the problem. 1st step is like they said, check the adjustment. Loosen the locknut, lightly seat the setscrew and tighten the nut back up. then you need to CHECK AND SEE IF THE STEERING WHEEL NOW BINDS WHEN TURNING IT,,,,,,BEFORE YOU DRIVE IT. If the box is too worn out, adjusting it can cause binding. then you know where you stand. And speaking of Ford gear boxes,,,,,,are they all the same???? does 1 size fit all?????

steering gearbox. Steerb11
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Post by mothradeath Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:27 pm

first....thanks for the helpfulness. theres no problems with the pitman arm doing its thing as far as moving its just that it has an amount of play in the wheel before it does so. granted its 45 years old but i would like to get rid of the slop. its enough that i REALLY have to be on my toes while driving. so when you say "seat" what do you mean? i turn the slotted nut slightly clockwise as if i am tightening and then snug the stop nut back up?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:38 pm

Thats right, tighten it down like 1/4 turn at a time until the slop goes out or it bottoms out. And maybe have it jacked up so you can turn the steering wheel stop to stop and feel if the steering wheel binds after you crank that screw in. You don't want the wheel to lock up on you. And check and see if there is grease in there also. I will cruise by that shop in Vista in my travels and see what they actually do with steering boxes over there,,,,,,,,,
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Post by mothradeath Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:39 am

donivan65 wrote:Thats right, tighten it down like 1/4 turn at a time until the slop goes out or it bottoms out. And maybe have it jacked up so you can turn the steering wheel stop to stop and feel if the steering wheel binds after you crank that screw in. You don't want the wheel to lock up on you. And check and see if there is grease in there also. I will cruise by that shop in Vista in my travels and see what they actually do with steering boxes over there,,,,,,,,,

pulling it out, trying that screw, and checking the grease situation today. thanks for the the insight.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:01 am

There is probably another adjustment on it too, the worm gear bearing preload. It should be done 1st. So if you do it, back out that set screw on the high point adjuster and do this one. It is where the steering shaft goes into the gearbox, like in the cab, at the floor. They would normally tell you remove the pitman arm, loosen up the big nut and crank down the housing until you get 1 pound of preload on the bearings. So its a little more complicated to do. Then do the other high point adjustment. You might be able to get the van steering to act better or it could be worn out. But the plan here is to give you choices and you decide whats best for you.
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Post by mothradeath Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:15 am

nice. thanks again. youve helped me understand what needs to be done. i found a link through a link to this site which pretty much tells everything there is about them and rebuild kits and.........well, just everything.
    http://www.stangerssite.com/
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:49 pm

First:
    Let's all remember that if you take offense at someones comments, take it up privately with them or let one of the mods know. Let's keep this site clean and friendly.
    Second:
    Let's not put the mods in the position of voting anyone off this site.

All comments that I personally would have found offensive by myself and any retaliation has been removed from this thread.

Later,

2013 MidSouth Econoline Meet
    Host of the MidSouth Econoline Meet, Petit Jean State Park, AR
    1967 Econoline Pickup
    1966 Econoline Supervan
    1967 Econoline 8-door regular van
    1965 ChevyVan, Cargo, 250/3speed

1964 Econoline 8-door Window Van, 4spd
    1966 Falcon SuperVan, Automatic
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:51 pm

Have you eliminated the possibility that there is slop any where else in the steering outside of the gearbox?

Later,
    Rip
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:08 pm

Dont know about any offensive things other than the price of fixing these trucks. Anyone who would expect to repair one of these so inexpensively, perhaps with the wrong thought in mind to start with,, they are old, worn out, and parts are dwindling?? ANY restore is $10 grand to start,, and half that on good paint,,, dont need to go any further with that?
    If the box will not tighten up, without binding, its plain and simple had it. The place I recomended in Vista, was through a friend who has just finished his 62 five window crossflow, complete restore,, and ITS BEAUTIFUL by the way. That was the price he said that he had it done for??????? I would love to send some pics,, but have to say that I have been helping him now for over 4 yrs, as well as Mike in Reno's fine ride, and they BOTH ARE PRISTINE, so have little doubt in what he said. Also, the first one I have seen with a Vintage Air A/C underdash that is unreal,, yesterday he had it puttin out 38 degress, and moisture on the dash. I would be curious also, as to the outcome of someone going by and talking to the people in Vista, I am told they specialize in steering boxes?????????????
    Oldskool
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Post by mothradeath Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:28 pm

this thread alone has me leary of dealing with the powercraft companys rebuild options. good outcome or bad, seems sketchy.
    http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/powercraft-steering-brakes-vista-ca-121246.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:39 am