VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

throttle cable linking?

throttle cable linking? Empty throttle cable linking?

Post by Guest Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi all,

I recently installed an Offenhauser DP intake manifold and a Barry Grant 525 street demon on my 300 and am now trying to figure
    out the throttle cable problem.

The primaries are facing the engine so the carb has to be mounted sideways. Which makes it a little different for the throttle
    cable, since it has to pull from the passenger side outside the doghouse (see red arrow).
    I've played with the cable a little and it doesn't seem to reach the carb by routing it underneath the engine but I was able to make a bracket
    bolted to the head on one of the intake studs and pull at the smaller return spring lever and attach the return spring to the throttle lever.
    The cable still hasn't enough pull to come to full throttle, probably 80%.
    I was shopping autozone, napa, advanced and o'reilly but neither has a long enough cable, just a 26" universal.
    The stock cable I have is almost 5 foot long.

Has anyone done this or something similar, or knows where I can get a long enough cable or bracket?
    That would be awesome.
    I've noticed on my japanese fuel injected car that the throttle cable was reversed by routing it over a small wheel attached to the throttle body.

Anyways, any input is highly appreciated. The Van runs like a scalded cat with this set up and I'm happy so far Very Happy

Cheers

throttle cable linking? Thrott11
    primaldesigns
    primaldesigns

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2009-01-11

throttle cable linking? Empty Re: throttle cable linking?

Post by primaldesigns Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:23 pm

I once had a VW trike that required an extra long clutch cable. I went to Flander's and they made a custom cable to the exact length that I need. It was inexpensive too!
    Here is the link to their website. I don't know if they take internet orders but check them out and see for yourself.

http://www.flanderscables.com/
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:41 am

Isn't the linkage supposed to run along the passenger side? A bunch of levers? It looks to me that the carb is mounted 90 degrees off...

Is there such thing as dumb questions? This one is new to me... pardon the ignorance on my part.

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:39 pm

Yes, the carb is mounted sideways because the Offy dp has the primaries both on the engine side.
    Found a transdapt cable today but the ends are not Ford ;(
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:17 pm

If there is enough cable to reach the passenger side for a straight down pull ,one mite rig up a bell crank type thing mounted off the outer carb plate bolts?
    I ended up using a cable off a Fiero on my chevy, its over 6 ft long.

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:32 pm

I've tried, not enough reach, also the stock cable is very stiff.
    Lokar sells 96" cables for little over $100, ouch.
    Summit has CSR in 84" but I can't see what ends they have.
    My pedal linkage has a little ball joint to the cable.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSI-6007/

I like the idea of the bell crank. where would I get one?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:58 am

Great explanation... thanks! Fiero cable, yeah... linkage would be really long in those!

Post by Guest Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:33 am

I had my cable custom made to the length I wanted. Any hot rod shop should be able to tell you where you can have one made. Usually shops that make hydraulic hoses and such can get them made for you. I had a 10' made for $79.00

Post by Guest Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:34 pm

I ended up buying an 84' inch throttle cable and picked it up from Lokar as well as their throttle cable bracket. Nice stuff, all stainless steel. Fit perfectly on the BG Carb, cable comes around behind the engine out of the doghouse, turns and goes back in. Oh well.
    I've got a bigger problem, the pedal doesn't have enough leverage to pull for full throttle. I've got maybe 85%.
    Any ideas?
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:09 am

I had the same problem on my 67 Chevy.... pedal would only open the primaries and not the secondaries. I rebuilt the rod that the pedal bolted to so it would have more "swing". The way the original pedal was setup, it would push the cable and I made mine so it would pull the cable. I really didn't care for a pedal "pushing" the cable. I have no idea how the fords are setup scratch Are they setup the same as Chevy's?

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:19 pm

The Econolines pull the cable from the bracket and it's linked to the kickdown rod.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:38 pm

Cut the doghouse today and driving it like that for now.
    I doesn't stick out that much, perhaps two inches and clears the seat.
    Blows a whole lot of hot air out that would be otherwise accumulating in the DH. I think I'm going to make a duct to exit on the left side.
    Plenty of power still without all the throttle pull. Jetted to 70 mains (the carb came with 58's ) and replaced the yellow spring for the secondaries with a purple one so I can get the secondaries to open before wot. Fun stuff Smile

Cheers!

throttle cable linking? Doghou10

throttle cable linking? Doghou11

Post by Guest Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:37 pm

I'm thinking about making the pedal arm link longer somehow, to give it more leverage. But.....
    It's really too hot & humid here now, to get under there and think.

Another problem! When accelerating, the engine tilts quite a bit to the right, pushing the intake manifold onto the trans dip stick which is pushed against the dog house side wall. When I let go off the throttle the dip stick snaps back onto the doghouse wall making a loud scary noise.

I guess I have to get me a flexible Lokar dipstick.
    Oh well, one step forward and two steps back.

Cheers Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:20 pm