VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Help Ford engine ID

gotavan
    gotavan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Help Ford engine ID Empty Help Ford engine ID

Post by gotavan Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:52 am

I junked out a 1970 Ford van that my Dad made into a camper, it was a 3 speed manual trans. I was told the engine is a 302. I have an automatic I took out of a 1965 Comet 289 I had planned on using , but it will not work. What is this engine I have? Where can i look for ID numbers?
    Help Ford engine ID Ford1
    1970 Ford van engine
    Help Ford engine ID Ford2
    Help Ford engine ID Ford3
    1965 289 Comet transmission
    Help Ford engine ID Ford5
    the two differrent trans plates
    Help Ford engine ID Ford6
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Help Ford engine ID Empty Re: Help Ford engine ID

Post by 61econoline Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:08 am

remove a valve cover 289 should be stamped in there
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:11 am

Maybe theres some kind of adapter plate, From one year to the other?? What you going to put in in???Your Fordson Crawler tractor(just kidding),one of you English Ford seadan delivery's???
    gotavan
    gotavan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by gotavan Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks for the link on the adapter, Tom. I think I will try to get a free trans out of a pickup down at my cousins. I also found out I can get an econoline no door from my cousin in Ohio, they are going to scrap it. They gave away the front axle to a guy that was building a trailer. Well I guess the engine is a 5.4 modular, I will just use the C-6 out of the pickup on it. The Anglia's are Vans, not sedan delivery's, 3.5 cwt!!
    Help Ford engine ID Sporvan
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:55 am

How many bolts hold the transmission to the engine ? If it is only 5 then that's a 64 Comet transmission. From the photo that's what it looks like. Engine looks like a 302, should be on the tag on the valve cover along with the year. Also cast into the head when you remove the valve cover. It will have 6 mounting bolts to the transmission. The fuel pump should also mount in the timing cover, same for a 351 W, 351 Cleveland has the pump mounted in the block which projects out further than the 351 W or 302.
    There should be numbers cast in the bell housing of the transmission. What are they?
    If you are not going to use the transmission I am interested in the bell housing and plate. I have a 5 bolt early 289 that it will fit.
    Fred

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:53 pm