VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

anyone have a 1st gen GMC Handibus Custom?

Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

anyone have a 1st gen GMC Handibus Custom? Empty anyone have a 1st gen GMC Handibus Custom?

Post by Russell Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:30 am

anyone have a 1st gen GMC Handibus Custom? Gmc_ha13
    I have a '66 GMC Handibus Custom, I'm trying to find out how rare is it? I've seen a couple of 2nd gens and a few 108's but in all my search's not more than 1 that is a first gen that runs and drives.
    Who here has one or knows of any?
    anyone have a 1st gen GMC Handibus Custom? 10710
    Russell
    Russell

anyone have a 1st gen GMC Handibus Custom? Empty Re: anyone have a 1st gen GMC Handibus Custom?

Post by Russell Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:37 am

Is this the only one still on the road?
    chrlsful
    chrlsful

Number of posts : 184
    Registration date : 2014-04-22

anyone have a 1st gen GMC Handibus Custom? Empty Re: anyone have a 1st gen GMC Handibus Custom?

Post by chrlsful Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:18 am

(not'n owner, 1 of my favs tho)
    skim the site, there's plenty.
    Ur's looks good.
    Thought the
    Handi had
    less windows.
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:47 am

chrlsful wrote:(not'n owner, 1 of my favs tho)
    skim the site, there's plenty.
    Ur's looks good.
    Thought the
    Handi had
    less windows.
    I've searched many sites besides this one, there's a few 2nd gen's and a few Handibus Vans but the "Custom" on a first gen is very rare. I've only been able to find 2 others on the world wide web and they both are rough.
    chrlsful
    chrlsful

Post by chrlsful Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:40 am

Any Qs or just wanna see others?
    Try cheb itself if the latter~
    chiefcrewdog
    chiefcrewdog

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2017-11-29

Post by chiefcrewdog Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:25 pm

As you probably know, Chevy and GMC did not keep production numbers for our vans. BUT I think we can kinda get there by looking at data that does exist and then test it based on observations and experience. For the last ten years, GMC van numbers appear to be around 20% that of Chevy and that seems to make sense when you think about the ratio of light trucks that you see bearing those 2 brands. So, a Handi-Bus Custom which appears to be the GMC version of the Sportvan Deluxe, is probably pretty rare. 1, at least in the early years, the cargo vans were more prevalent. I've read in 64 window vans were made from cargo vans. The formed in window areas didn't arrive till 65 (I believe) This could be construed that passenger versions were an afterthought and a market to develop. 2. the level of attrition over time. When I bought my 1st 2nd gen in the early 80s, these vans were already becoming scarce. Now they are very rare to ever see one on the road or anywhere else. So in general, our vans are rare, regardless of trim levels. Those that are further differentiated from the mass of delivery vans that were built, are probably even more rare these days.

Russell likes this post

chrlsful
    chrlsful

Post by chrlsful Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:11 am

owned a '68 "108" (w/an i6) in '73 or so.
    Never saw a 1st gen Cheb/GM on the rd back then in NE usa.
    An 8dor/'no window' '64/6 would still B my fav even over the 13 window
    or double cab (or any other) ve dub (subie, etc, etc).
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:29 pm

I sold one in 2013 when I moved north. It was in Justin Texas, but was told it was heading to California. I hoped I could see it be restored, even put a vintage-vans.com sticker on it.  But I havent seen it since then.. Sad

anyone have a 1st gen GMC Handibus Custom? Bessie10

chrlsful likes this post

chrlsful
    chrlsful

Post by chrlsful Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:44 pm

Mmmm..., now 'that's sharp'!
    mig a panel over the last 3 windows each side, no patina (esp this's uns roof...

Mind a dollar Q?
    What was paid for it Scott, in '13 @ what location in TX?
    Thnx~
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:16 am

I bought it near Springtown Texas for $800. It looked like a spotted cow when I bought it, but it ran. I sold it in 2013 at Pate Swap Meet, which takes place every year just north of Fort Worth at the Texas Motor Speedway. I think I sold it for $1000. But thats primer and white paint you see. I was covering all the spots to make it look better, but a friend told me to stop because some may think I was covering body damage.

You can't really see it, but the back side windows had big 'Yamahauler' stickers. The back door windows were pop-outs, and had screens made to fit them.

Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:51 am

Scott wrote:I sold one in 2013 when I moved north. It was in Justin Texas, but was told it was heading to California. I hoped I could see it be restored, even put a vintage-vans.com sticker on it.  But I havent seen it since then..  Sad

anyone have a 1st gen GMC Handibus Custom? Bessie10
    Another Chevy, not a GMC Handibus Custom.
    chrlsful
    chrlsful

Post by chrlsful Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:35 pm

thanks Scott. I am testing a theory that urban sales are higher than rural (all other things equal).
    Pretty close to D/FW so I'm saying 'urban'. Living in that location (just outside) can be less expensive but an item like this can take advantage of the close huge population for increased sales income.

Sorry Russell, gm or cheb I like the 1st gen. Hope U
    acquire all the info U seek !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:55 am