VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

new to the econoline scene!

Gezsfrk
    Gezsfrk

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2022-06-26

new to the econoline scene! Empty new to the econoline scene!

Post by Gezsfrk Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:11 am

So i am new to the econoline scene but I just bought a 62. The original owner stuffed either a 300 or 240 under it and cut up the center support ( where the transmission mounts) in order to move it all back and his mount is hideous…. Anyone have any advice or pictures on a proper engine and transmission mount for this swap? Thanks
    13-ball
    13-ball

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2020-07-23

new to the econoline scene! Empty Re: new to the econoline scene!

Post by 13-ball Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:31 am

You'll want to spend some time reinforcing where your crossmembers mount to the body. Even the "frame" rails on these are thin sheet metal and are likely rusty (thinner yet) or cracked.

You can get a factory engine crossmember from a 65 - 67 van like the one in this pic.  Or, if you're handy you can fabricate one to do the same thing.  Then you'll want a similar looking crossmember for the transmission to sit on.

If you take the time and make the effort it'll be strong and look great.

new to the econoline scene! S-l40010
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:20 am

13-Ball is right. You really want to go in and install the correct components for the motor and transmission someone stuffed in there.

But if it were me I would put the correct size motor block back in it and make it close to stock. These little trucks and vans don't need big sixes or V-8's to be fun to drive. You can put a 200 cu. in. straight six in that van and it will get it up faster than you really want to go in that type of vehicle. The 200 was not available for the vans and trucks but they are the same length as the 170 which was put in the vans and pickups. The 200 was available as a standard motor in the early Mustangs. They are easy to find. They even had them fuel injected in the 80's and 90's if you want to go that way. And the 200 was built up until 1996 so all the parts are available for it. It will give you all the power and torque you need for such a small vehicle. And be well mannered and a blast to drive.

Welcome to the site!
    Gezsfrk
    Gezsfrk

Post by Gezsfrk Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:41 pm

Thanks for the replies… I have both the 300 and the 170. The 170 has a c4 and the 300 is a manual the biggest problem is the guy cut the body up where the transmission mount to put in the longer 300 combo and was looking for some pics of a proper installation. I have the correct front crossmember he just hacked up the support for the trans. I will get some pics this weekend For reference.
    Gezsfrk
    Gezsfrk

Post by Gezsfrk Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:56 pm

Ok here are the pics of the body where the trans has been butchers in and I question the mount for the engine because it is only mounts on the inside bolts not the outside. There appears that there never was another mount????new to the econoline scene! 146b6d10
    Gezsfrk
    Gezsfrk

Post by Gezsfrk Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:58 pm

Mount pictures
    Gezsfrk
    Gezsfrk

Post by Gezsfrk Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:01 pm

Mount picture
    Gezsfrk
    Gezsfrk

Post by Gezsfrk Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:02 pm

No idea why the mount picture won’t load
    Three-Nuts
    Three-Nuts

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2022-09-06

Post by Three-Nuts Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:22 pm

I happen to have the center frame section from a '62 that has the original transmission mount, unmolested.  I'm in the process of refurbishing my '65 pickup and needed bed sections to repair rust. I found a yard here in south Jersey that has six vans from 62 to 67 so sectioned the front half of the bed as a donor, separating the sheet from the frame.

Photo is as it was when I brought it home:

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/L0T1EpP.jpg[/timg]

If it's of use to you, in whole or in part, let me know.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:58 am