VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Black, nasty smelling goop in the fuel tank...

Wyowanderer
    Wyowanderer

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2022-05-15

Black, nasty smelling goop in the fuel tank... Empty Black, nasty smelling goop in the fuel tank...

Post by Wyowanderer Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:13 pm

I decided to remove the tank Monday night, and I was astonished at the amount of black smelly stuff in it - I poured nearly a gallon of it into a can I use for old motor oil.
    I poured three gallons of mineral spirits in it, but it didn't seem to want to thin this cr@p. I emptied the mineral spirits into its container, then emptied the tank into a bucket and let the remainder of the goop drip out overnight. The MS seemed to cut it a LITTLE, but not enough I'll want to use it.

My current plan is to turn it over to a local rad shop and let them tank it out.
    Anyone have a better idea short of spending $400 on a replacement? I can def. afford it, I'd just rather put $400 toward window rubber or something, and I'd like to keep the original tank. For that matter, I'd rather send it off and get it professionally remanned.
    Wyowanderer
    Wyowanderer

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2022-05-15

Black, nasty smelling goop in the fuel tank... Empty Re: Black, nasty smelling goop in the fuel tank...

Post by Wyowanderer Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:23 pm

Looks like the best way to deal with the fuel tank was to install new. I found one on Ebay and ordered it, and a new sender while I was at it. It went right in with no issue, although I did tape the sender wire to the tank "valley" so it didn't get squashed. I also installed a new 5/8" hose on the vent and 2" hose to the filler tube.

I really wanted to use the old tank, but the local rad shop didn't want to touch it, and the shop in Gillette wanted almost $400 to clean it out.

Next, the engine.

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:43 am