VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
Keith D
REIGNSoner
Russell
Scott
savage
JackeFriend
jrdunn96
vanny
12 posters

GMC Jacke's van

vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

GMC Jacke's van Empty GMC Jacke's van

Post by vanny Sun May 10, 2020 12:26 pm

That's one cool looking ScooterJacke! That gas tank looks brand spanking new...cheers cheers cheers

Here's a link to the 1st thread for Jacke...  This one continues where the link leaves off...

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t52331-gmc-jacke-s-van?highlight=jacke

Last edited by vanny on Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:13 pm; edited 3 times in total

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

GMC Jacke's van Empty Re: GMC Jacke's van

Post by jrdunn96 Sun May 10, 2020 3:50 pm

It looks great Jacke! It looks like you are getting close.
    Jim
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Post by JackeFriend Tue May 12, 2020 10:59 am

jrdunn96 wrote:It looks great Jacke!  It looks like you are getting close.
    Jim

Thanks I am trying to overcome the weakness in knowledge everyday! Here is the newly painted front fender, Clutch cable in and mud flap installed. Next I am going to work on the key switch situation. The switch had a 4 wire box and it is slightly larger that the opening. I may just bite the bullet and order the correct one...NOS. But the costs is crazy so maybe not...LOL
    I ordered a battery and bulbs today while I ponder what and how to fix the switch.

GMC Jacke's van Front_12
    GMC Jacke's van Mud_fl10
    GMC Jacke's van Clutch10

cheers affraid
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Tue May 12, 2020 1:32 pm

Looking Good Jacke. Bet original Honda parts are $$$.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed May 13, 2020 11:59 am

savage wrote:Looking Good Jacke. Bet original Honda parts are $$$.
    Thank you Tom. The parts are hard to find NOS, but they are out there. Prices are high for the hard to find parts... but they don't make them anymore in Japan, so Mad .
    I did find some repopped in Thailand... I am currently awaiting the seat, side mirrors and chain guards I bought from overseas. It will take over a month to receive the DHL shipment. It must travel by Ocean container to take so long to arrive? But it is as close to the original seat as is obtainable. 1962 seats are rather hard to find new. I bought a used muffler and tail pipe today... could not afford the new version which is over $400 OMG! So I have cleaned up my heat guards and the other parts I have for the bike, whether they will fit I am not sure, as the old muffler was incorrect for the bike. I will figure it out next week!
    I am getting closer now and soon I will be starting the bike, once I get the muffler and the new accelerator cable. I think I am good to go! Basketball
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat May 16, 2020 10:41 am

So, the Disc brakes are done. Now the steering box has been sent out to be rebuilt. Then the power steering work can begin once everything is returned from the shop. I really miss the van more and more, with nothing to drive but my car... oh what fun?!
    The bike is coming together, I will have all the various missing parts by Monday. I installed the new sprocket and chain. Next the new accelerator cable goes in today. Finally Monday I will get to the exhaust system. Then Ill get the engine started up!
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Sat May 16, 2020 11:12 am

You got to keep thinking ,your van will be Better than New Jacke.
    Hopefully  you wo\ill have you bike running soon , so you can Terrorize your Neighborhood Very Happy
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat May 16, 2020 7:03 pm

GMC Jacke's van Muffle10
    GMC Jacke's van Rear_f10

Got my muffler early! So it is installed now. I am charging the 6v battery (it's so tiny and cute), changing the accelerator cable out for a new one, but the screw is stripped. I need to get a new screw and replace the cable. But all is going well in the beginner mechanics school of scooter work. Razz bounce
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat May 16, 2020 9:03 pm

Jacke, I showed my wife a picture of your scooter and she loves it...when I first met her,she had a red Honda 125. She tells our grandson that one day she'll get a motorcycle with a sidecar so he can ride with her!
    Anyways, the scooter is really moving along and you're doing a bang-up job! I guess if you get it done too quickly before Goldie comes home, you might have to find another project to work on... What a Face We all know how patient you are when waiting for work to be completed on Goldie. Razz

Keep up the good work but maybe pace yourself a bit... Very Happy

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sun May 17, 2020 5:49 pm

vanny wrote:Jacke, I showed my wife a picture of your scooter and she loves it...when I first met her,she had a red Honda 125. She tells our grandson that one day she'll get a motorcycle with a sidecar so he can ride with her!
    Anyways, the scooter is really moving along and you're doing a bang-up job! I guess if you get it done too quickly before Goldie comes home, you might have to find another project to work on... What a Face We all know how patient you are when waiting for work to be completed on Goldie. Razz

Thanks, tell your wife the 125cc is a big motor compared to this little bike! LOL Chopper mama. VVvvrrrooommm. I hope she gets one!
    I wanted a side car but with such a little bike I would be able to take one Dachshund for a ride at a time without over load! LOL Laughing talk about miniature. Imagine how little the side car would be... like a clown car! jocolor lol!

GMC Jacke's van Minisi10 ---(Vanny)
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu May 21, 2020 7:22 pm

GMC Jacke's van Steeri10

That is what I would consider a re-manufactured gearbox, which is far better! Next power steering is in the plans! Just getting the steering box rebuilt would be great enough, with the added power steering upgrade, I am set for some easy steering and turns that will be smooth not like a wrestling match!

GMC Jacke's van Drivin11
    tter.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri May 22, 2020 2:46 am

Great!
    That'll make it more enjoyable for you!!! Very Happy

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 am

JackeFriend wrote:
    vanny wrote:Jacke, I showed my wife a picture of your scooter and she loves it...when I first met her,she had a red Honda 125. She tells our grandson that one day she'll get a motorcycle with a sidecar so he can ride with her!

Thanks, tell your wife the 125cc is a big motor compared to this little bike! LOL Chopper mama. VVvvrrrooommm. I hope she gets one!
    I wanted a side car but with such a little bike I would be able to take one Dachshund for a ride at a time without over load! LOL Laughing talk about miniature. Imagine how little the side car would be... like a clown car! jocolor lol!

I think I WILL build a side-car! What fun and kinda silly! LMAO

GMC Jacke's van Minisi10  ---(Vanny)
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat May 23, 2020 2:19 am

So it seems the seat from over seas will not arrive until maybe July? Ok floating across on a raft I assume.  Rolling Eyes
    Anyway I am not able to wait to sit on the bike until July. So I took the old seat frame as broken and old as it was and resurected it into a usable temporary seat. I had all the materials around the garage so it was no cost, at least. Not perfect, bit it will have to do until the ral seat comes. cheers

GMC Jacke's van Seat110

Last edited by JackeFriend on Sat May 23, 2020 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Sat May 23, 2020 5:01 am

Great job Jacke. You got it running??/
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat May 23, 2020 7:10 pm

I had to wait for the new exhaust stud nuts and the new accelerator cable. Now I need a new screw for the handle perch a 8mm Philips. The nuts and bolts are specific to the Honda, but I did find some at the hardware that worked for a couple areas. But by Tuesday, I will have everything I need and can attempt the first kick over. I put the carb back together and new fuel lines and a little filter between the tank and engine. Gas is in the tank and I have the Honda oil to put in on Tuesday! The headlight worked, it and the tail lights have new bulbs, I am getting a new brake light switch too. The key switch is not a perfect fit so I am figuring a good way to hold it into place without drilling a hole. I have to do the wiring and get the old new wires married. I am no electric motorcycle mechanic! LOL affraid so I have been stalling a little!!
    I have only the ability to try.  Colors are colors, and I can attempt the rewire of the simple 4-6 wires. I bought new butt connectors and that will be on Monday's to do list.
    Remember this bike was a 30+ lost cause, that no shop would even consider fixing for $$$ money! LOL
    I am excited and apprehensive as I put it together myself with no real mechanical knowledge.
    So when it gets started next week, I will feel like a "winner, winner chicken dinner". Arrow
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun May 24, 2020 5:12 am

Nothing motivates more than someone telling you it can’t be done for a reasonable amount of mula $$$...I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that Tuesday is successful! Good Luck next week! Twisted Evil What a Face

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri May 29, 2020 5:51 pm

Well the bike started right up third kick! I have not figured out the right adjustment for the carburetor yet. It seems to be too high of a throttle? But no problems with the engine, just need to get some knowledge on adjusting the carb screws. But I am happy I am having no trouble getting it to start up and run strong. Next I will need to get the brakes checked when moving and tires replaced. My makeshift seat seems to be ok for now. A little something to sit on at least. I will see if I can drive the bike this weekend and maybe post a picture of the little bikes first ride after 35 years! Very Happy cheers
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Fri May 29, 2020 7:35 pm

Cool good to hear you got it stared Jacke. Cool
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat May 30, 2020 3:19 am

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:57 pm

Well ordered the new set of tires for the Honda today, should get them by Friday. Then off to the little bike shop I found up the street... gonna drop the bike up to get the tires changed and the clutch and accelerator cable adjusted correctly. Also need the brakes checked over by a mechanic. I think safety is important when you are old as dirt! LOL
    I think when I get the van back... I will attach two hooks on the wheel wells to attach the bike to with
    straps.  I think Russell did it for his motorcycle in his van? Mine is just about small enough to fit just between the two wheel wells, inside the side doors, I think? So when I eventually enjoy a camping trip to the mountains. I will just take the bike for cruising around the campground trails. I am getting excited about having the scooter and my van back this summer to play, play and play! I am glad I did not give up on fixing the old bike. Sometimes I think if you don't try... what else can you do? Anyway all is well in scooter land... tires coming! Finally a Real Mechanic adjusting cables and brakes & tires too. I want a rear rack with a white mesh basket... to carry my little goodies along! Oh I got the brake light and the headlight working too. It does not have blinkers... queen
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:29 am

Congrats Jacke and once you get them back, please post pics or it never happened... lol!

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:33 pm

So the tires already arrived! Wow over night, I cant complain! I was also able to use the old heat guards fixed enough to work pretty good. At least my leg will have some protection against that hot muffler. Getting closer to enjoying the bike  Smile

GMC Jacke's van New_ti11
    GMC Jacke's van Heat_s11
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:53 pm

So, I think I am so bored I have gone off the deep end of the kiddie pool. I bid in an auction for another Honda 50... and won the darn thing, also won the auction for the gas tank! Now I have to drive up the coast and pick it up. Hmmm I did not think I would win it for a little $50 bucks? Considering what parts go for it was a steal just as a parts bike... but I do have that second engine which I have been threatening to try and learn to rebuild, so... yes I will try down the road. Just maybe when I get up to living in WA and am really retired and bored. LOL
    Cute little bike though...
    GMC Jacke's van New_sc11
    GMC Jacke's van New_sc10
    GMC Jacke's van New_sc12
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Hey Jacke,

Electric PowerSteering in this thread might be something to consider.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t56656-theory-power-steering-for-super-cheap-and-no-pump

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:52 am