VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Lap seat belts

67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Lap seat belts Empty Lap seat belts

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:41 pm

Will any of the A/C body or B/E body seat belts from year one work in our vans??? All I want is some lap belts to keep the seat belt nazi's from giving me a ticket here in MI while I am cruising in the van. When I get further along with the body work on the pickup I will weld some shoulder belts into that one.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Lap seat belts Empty Re: Lap seat belts

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:49 pm

found some universal lap belts on ebay. Let you know how they work out when they get here.

Post by Guest Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:03 am

67a 100 pickup wrote:found some universal lap belts on ebay. Let you know how they work out when they get here.

That's the route I went since my van needed them too. It would be nice to add some hooks to the wall to hang them on though since I'm always fussing with keeping the belt straight and looking to see where they've fallen to. Smile
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:46 pm

" seat belt natzi's "??????????? i'll have to remember that one.if these trucks wern't built with them they are not required. by the laws here anyways. for some dumb reason around here you can't have 4 people in the cab but 3 is ok. i figure the one behind the passenger seat is gonna be the only survivor.
    when you drive a flatty your the first one at the accident scene......
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:47 pm

jkr.... I wish mine hadn't come with any, but my '67 and '68 both had lap belts in them. I haven't put the new ones in yet. I took the old ones from the '67 pickup and put them in the van for Baker's, they ain't pretty but they work and I don't have to donate to the "new" cop car fund when they pull me over just so they can take a closer look and then hit you for not wearing a seatbelt ticket. After all the work on these I'm not trying to be "that" guy and smash it up. With 4 drums I am stopping wayyyyy early and easing up to the lights. Laughing
    kermit

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2008-05-27

Post by kermit Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Speaking of the law and seat belts in an early, what is the law in most states if you get pulled over in a cargo or p/u version if you have a third person? Can they legally ride in the back? What about on the doghouse? And if someone specifically wants to ride on the doghouse, should I be concerned about excessive engine vibration?
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Main thing on the doghouse would be the heat on the passengers rear end. Mine is a "pop-top" and my first rear rear flips and folds flat and doesn't have any seat belt mounts so I am running the chance of the cop being nice.
    kermit

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2008-05-27

Post by kermit Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:37 pm

Mines a 69 A108 cargo, and the doghouse actually feels very cool when moving. It's insulated pretty good, and I replaced the doghouse seal for the lid. Builds up a little heat when I have to idle for any extended length of time in the summer, nothing that would burn anybody. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that if you have a 3rd person in a cargo van they'd be safer sitting on the doghouse than rolling around in the back (and a lot cooler too) but the downside is that makes them visible to the cops too. In fact, I had another request today to ride in the van, so I drove slow and cautiously, and didn't go far.

Although I've now got a couple of bench seats over the rear wheel wells, (no seat belts yet) in the summer the heat factor in the back is terrible. (no roof ventilation or windows to open) I mainly put the bench seats in to use when stopped (table in middle, makes into bed) So far all of the passengers have wanted to sit on the doghouse than ride in the back anyway.

Talked to a local cop about it & he said in Ohio the driver and passenger must wear a seat belt (if the van originally came with one) but a passenger (16 yrs or older) can ride in the cargo area since its enclosed. He wasn't sure about the doghouse, felt the if the doghouse was in the passenger compartment it would be illegal but when I told him half was between driver and passenger & other half in the "cargo area" he wasn't sure. He then surmised it might make a legal difference if they were sitting on the front part or the back part (like with their legs behind one of the seats.) Bottom line was, he said if your seen doing it you'll probably get pulled over (any excuse to find that illegal meth lab or bags of dope some cops in this area are looking for) and maybe ticketed whether it is legal or not, and let the courts decide. The last 3 times I've been pulled over in the van I've been by myself anyway, and didn't do anything worthy of them writing a ticket or even a warning, they just wanted to run my license and of course look inside. My interior is so bare they didn't even call for the dog, just left with a look of disappointment on their face.

Last edited by kermit on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to inlude information from local law enforcement on question)

Post by Guest Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:20 pm

kermit wrote:Speaking of the law and seat belts in an early, what is the law in most states if you get pulled over in a cargo or p/u version if you have a third person? Can they legally ride in the back? What about on the doghouse? And if someone specifically wants to ride on the doghouse, should I be concerned about excessive engine vibration?

I'm pretty sure California law requires a seat belt for each passenger. That the excuse I've heard for giving folks tickets for sitting in a pickup bed. AND I'm pretty sure Calif doesn't require that you put 'em in if the vehicle is early enough not to come with them. I've only had people on the doghouse a couple of time, and I'm been lucky so far in that I didn't get pulled over. Pretty lame answer, huh? Ron
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:58 am

If anyone needs anchor plates for the seat belts mooneyes has new ones listed under safety equipment.
    Dantra
    Dantra

Number of posts : 293
    Registration date : 2009-08-31

Post by Dantra Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:04 pm

67a 100 pickup wrote:If anyone needs anchor plates for the seat belts mooneyes has new ones listed under safety equipment.
    Have you used them? I assume they weld in....
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:36 pm

I'm not to that point yet, but the stock ones are half the size of these and are just boled through the fender well and floor, they didn't use any welds. I guess they figured with no hood to protect you from the crash who care if the seatbelts pull through.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:26 am

Wesco Performance

Has chrome lift-lever vintage belts (new), I bought a lap belt for the driver and a three-point for the passenger.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 am