VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Keith D
dix
bpeak82
Otto
8 posters

New to Vanning - 67 Econoline 5.0 EFI

bpeak82
    bpeak82

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2020-11-05

New to Vanning - 67 Econoline 5.0 EFI Empty New to Vanning - 67 Econoline 5.0 EFI

Post by bpeak82 Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi there. New to the forum, new to vanning, new to it all. I usually stick to bikes and artwork. But was meaning to snag an early van of some sort to haul the bikes to shows and set up for display booths for my engraving work. Here in NC there were actually a good batch to choose from. But most were totally rusted out and rough motors. All except this one.

New to Vanning - 67 Econoline 5.0 EFI 1a10

New to Vanning - 67 Econoline 5.0 EFI 1ab10

New to Vanning - 67 Econoline 5.0 EFI 20201012

She's a 1967 Econoline panel. The previous owner was a bodywork and paint guy. He tore it all down. He did the sheet metal and paint and final assembly. Everything is super clean and hardly any rust anywhere on it.

The unseen though, is what he had a buddy of his do. Again, I'm not super familiar with this world. I'm still a vannin-infant. But apparently they dropped a 5.0L from a 94 Mustang, fuel injected. Use the same mustang rear end but kept the leaf rear suspension. They used a front end suspension and steering off of a Ford Aerostar van to lower it and get some function. So it has 4 wheel disc brakes. The previous owner tried to do some interior work but it was incomplete and so-so fit and finish.

It does need some love. The linkages for the controls could be a little tighter. The engine needs a tune up (all of the throttle and intake sensors seem tired). Might do a new, larger gas tank and upgraded fuel pump and filter. And the interior.

She runs and drives but not pleasantly. Yet. My first goal is to do maintenance or replacement on the suspension, adding a sway bar, get the engine tuned, and some other basic nic naks. Then it's on to the fun.

I'm actually pondering doing a carb swap to eliminate a bunch of electronics and wiring and sensors. Not sure. I'm going to redo 100% of the interior. That is up my alley and I'm looking forward to that. Need to stiffen up the front suspension cause it bottoms out too easy. Etc etc etc.

It's a blast though. Been loving the past few weeks diving into the van culture. Found the forum here which seems super cool. I've always documented my motorcycle work on forums and learned most of what I've learned about bikes from forum dudes with loads of experience. Looking forward to documenting the process with this van. We'll see.

If there's anything that stands out in anything I said above... advice... recommendations... anything... let me know. Super cool. Cheers!
    Otto
    Otto

Number of posts : 125
    Registration date : 2020-09-02

New to Vanning - 67 Econoline 5.0 EFI Empty Re: New to Vanning - 67 Econoline 5.0 EFI

Post by Otto Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Welcome! Your van looks interesting and has a unique story with the modifications that it has. Please show more of that!

I might suggest leaving the EFI, it's really not that sophisticated of a system to operate and not too hard to learn how it works: reverting back to a carb will be more work than it seems. Plus, I'd think you'd be leaving some power, fuel mileage, and drivability on the table.

bpeak82 likes this post

bpeak82
    bpeak82

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2020-11-05

New to Vanning - 67 Econoline 5.0 EFI Empty Re: New to Vanning - 67 Econoline 5.0 EFI

Post by bpeak82 Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:14 pm

Right on. I've been bouncing back and forth a lot on the engine. Just need to find a local shop or 5.0 nut that can help me work through it. It's quite the snug fit. The intake tube goes down behind the passenger seat, and the air filter hangs below the deck where (as I understand it) the battery exists in some early vans? I dunno. It's interesting.

New to Vanning - 67 Econoline 5.0 EFI 20201013

New to Vanning - 67 Econoline 5.0 EFI 3a10

New to Vanning - 67 Econoline 5.0 EFI 4a10

The front suspension is interesting. It's a handful to drive without the swaybar, bouncy springs, and this much zoom zoom. Keeps me on my toes haha.

Otto likes this post

Otto
    Otto

Number of posts : 125
    Registration date : 2020-09-02

Post by Otto Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:14 pm

Looks like some custom work for sure. If you import the pictures at the 640 width, it won't cut the photos off and we'll be able to see more.

Another benefit of EFI that occurred to me: with the engine in a small box and nowhere for heat to go carbed engines in early vans suffer a lot of vapor lock, carb boiling, and hot start issues. With EFI, you're immune to that.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:19 am

welcome to vintage vans.
    sweet van.

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Post by Keith D Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:30 pm

Welcome...I love the paint on the van, very cool.

I think that once you get the suspension dialed in you are going to have one sweet ride.

I personally am from the keep it simple (old school) mentality, so I like a mechanical fuel pump and carburetor. You will give up a little fuel economy but if fuel economy was your goal you would have bought a Prius LOL.

Congrats on getting a great looking van.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:07 am

Great looking ride! Welcome to Vintage Vans!!! cheers cheers cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Pdxgeo
    Pdxgeo

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2016-11-27

Post by Pdxgeo Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:28 pm

That’s killer! Can’t wait to follow the progress on your interior
    Hawgford
    Hawgford

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2015-08-17

Post by Hawgford Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:41 am

I don't post much because my running 62 170 is off the road in the line of projects,but with a battery and a lil uv itll fire up,just smoke like hell,probably valve seals. Anyway Welcome bpeak82, I'm in Atl,Ga and  hard core old school   Harley builder restorer as well as old Ford trucks and long time machinist.My 2 cents on this is don't fix what ain't broke, although if you're sure its a 67, its came with the 240 300 six cyl which is a much better  truck motor and should have been rebuilt and used.I expect you will find out you have problems with overheating and electrical,but at least you had good past owner..i've heard of using aerostar clips before and hopefully it was done right.Since the motor is a 94,it would have had  the OBDII code  reading system in it and if you can figure a way to get  the port and harness installed that will be your best bet to deal with sensors etc.theres probably a you tube video out there to help.i would find a good alignment guy and get it on a rack and see  how everything squares up.i will be using my 62 to haul my 62 XLCH bobber and use it as a camper with a few amenities. good thing  they used a aluminum block motor,you didn't mention what trans,an AOD would probably have been installed.I would check and see if the  counterweight has been taken out as you said it sways and that was supposed to help with that more than a sway bar will and I think one  from a ranger or explorer is the right fitment,somebody here will know.I got a rain day here ,so I got  extry online time,lol  good luck,message me if i can help on something bike or trucks.I got alot of parts and fixed alot of problems over 4 decades that folks gave up on
    EnduroRdr
    EnduroRdr

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2014-12-13

Post by EnduroRdr Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:13 am

Welcome to the forum - that's a pretty cool ride you have there.
    I had several ford econolines and Falcon vans in the past so Im familiar with these. V-8's are very tight in there but your install looks prey sweet - I see A/C compressor (but don't see how your A/C cools in van) you might want to share a few pictures of that for the rest of us.
    Also that small steering wheel makes for more difficult driving especially without power steering or sloppy linkages etc.
    I'd probably seek out a nice Falcon Van wheel with the nice horn ring if you can find it.
    But its a really nice looking van - Keep On Trucking Bro.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:57 pm