VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Fcat
gfleduc
donivan65
smittyG10
8 posters

Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors

smittyG10
    smittyG10

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2018-10-25

Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors Empty Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors

Post by smittyG10 Sat May 16, 2020 9:59 pm

Trying to find somewhere for the hinge pin bushing kits for the front door.
    The existing pin is .230 closet fraction is 15/64"
    The bushings are 5/16" OD.

17/64" hinge pins are as close as I've found.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors Empty Re: Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors

Post by donivan65 Sat May 16, 2020 10:38 pm

gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors Empty Re: Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors

Post by gfleduc Sun May 17, 2020 3:49 am

Also Dorman 38404

Heads up / reminder mark with end the head goes on otherwise you will convert the hinge for the opposite door...
    Fcat
    Fcat

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2019-02-11

Post by Fcat Fri May 22, 2020 3:52 am

Not hijacking thread, but...

I did this a few months back, also had to reinforce the door where it had been flexing under stress from worn hinges. Only issue is door adjustment - or lack of. Even with my 'new' hinges having almost zero play, the doors are still dropped so they don't close well.

With the lack of any obvious fix for this, I was thinking of 're-educating' the doors with a jack under rear edge - can anyone think of something less brutal to try first?
    smittyG10
    smittyG10

Post by smittyG10 Fri May 22, 2020 8:50 am

That's probably what I'll end up doing as well , seems like I have quite a bit of movement to adjust hinges however, we'll see.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Sat May 23, 2020 11:45 am

Fcat wrote:Not hijacking thread, but...

I did this a few months back, also had to reinforce the door where it had been flexing under stress from worn hinges. Only issue is door adjustment - or lack of. Even with my 'new' hinges having almost zero play, the doors are still dropped so they don't close well.

With the lack of any obvious fix for this, I was thinking of 're-educating' the doors with a jack under rear edge - can anyone think of something less brutal to try first?
    another option is to jack the top mounting point on the pillars. not just pushing it back but "twisting" it. with doors off, hinges on, you can push on the outermost part (hinge pin) and easily gain more clearance than you ever could jacking the door. downside is this is very time consuming! 1/32" too far and door back off, pull hinge back, door back on and check again.
    smittyG10
    smittyG10

Post by smittyG10 Sat May 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Ok great thanks for the heads up
    Fcat
    Fcat

Post by Fcat Sun May 24, 2020 3:59 am

I think this is exactly what I need to do - thanks!

When I'm finished with that, I've got to try to jig the rear opening of my van to square again so the rear doors sit properly but this may fall outside a DIY fix.
    smittyG10
    smittyG10

Post by smittyG10 Sun May 24, 2020 9:30 am

Haven't even looked at that yet.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Mon May 25, 2020 1:47 pm

There's also the bodyshop technique of (slowly) slamming the door with a 2x4 wedged into the proper place between the door and door frame to realign things. But here's something to check for before you resort to these measures: Look for cracks in the door metal where the hinge bolts to it. The thin metal gets stress cracks over the years and they might get worse from the strain of jacking the door around. Sometimes you can strengthen it by adding a large washer under the bolt but it could require some welding to regain the structure of the door.
    smittyG10
    smittyG10

Post by smittyG10 Mon May 25, 2020 8:55 pm

thanks
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:11 am

Can this be done on the van, or do the hinges need to be removed for the rebuild?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:13 am

The hinges have to come apart and drill each side a different size,,,,,,,biggest problem is getting that pin out,,,,,,I have had to sometimes heat them up with a torch to get them to come loose,,,,,but you can just take one hinge off at a time without taking the door off to work on it......
    Fcat
    Fcat

Post by Fcat Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:23 am

Thanks for that tip VANagain - I had to weld in a reinforcing plate top and bottom where the steel had cracked so I have 'fixed it' wrong (in the wrong shape). will try the timber trick next before jacking.

I had to torch, drill and punch hinges as Donavan says.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:50 am

One at a time is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that..

Thank you Donivan.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:30 pm

Fcat wrote:Not hijacking thread, but...

It's shocking how much flex there is in that front panel of the door that the hinges bolt to... I've designed some stiffening plates for the front of these doors, but I'm not sure whether they should be 1/8th, 3/16th, or 1/4 inch or how much fastening I should do to get the most effect.... I may make an extra set or two to maybe sell...
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:41 pm

VANagain wrote:There's also the bodyshop technique of (slowly) slamming the door with a 2x4 wedged into the proper place between the door and door frame to realign things. But here's something to check for before you resort to these measures: Look for cracks in the door metal where the hinge bolts to it. The thin metal gets stress cracks over the years and they might get worse from the strain of jacking the door around. Sometimes you can strengthen it by adding a large washer under the bolt but it could require some welding to regain the structure of the door.

I'm on my second set of doors that have cracked Sheetmetal around the bottom hinge bolts of the driver's door.... The factory spotted a bit thicker piece of sheet metal to the inside of this panel, but it's not thick enough to create stability and the outer skin cracks at the edge of where the two are boned near the lower hinge...…

The deal with shutting stuff in the door frame is that I think the door Sheetmetal around the hinges is about as stout as a beer can, so doing these things probably only loosens everything up....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:35 pm