VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

How to remove dashboard switches and knobs

nwguy
    nwguy

Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2017-04-16

How to remove dashboard switches and knobs Empty How to remove dashboard switches and knobs

Post by nwguy Wed May 06, 2020 3:02 pm

Am prepping to strip the dashboard on my 62 pickup before painting. Have removed the main panel on the dash with the gauges. Normally I'm pretty handy, but this is making me feel stupid. How do you remove the headlight, ignition and wiper switches? There's no tooling on the bezels to turn them and I don't see or feel lockrings or release tabs on the assemblies. Whatta you do?
    nwguy
    nwguy

How to remove dashboard switches and knobs Empty Re: How to remove dashboard switches and knobs

Post by nwguy Wed May 06, 2020 3:54 pm

OK, I got the headlight and wiper switches out. A guy told me to push a pin, like a paper clip, in the tiny hole on the face of the ignition switch with the key in a certain position to allow the switch to be removed. Indeed, when you have it on the accessories position, a pin in the hole feels like it's depressing a spring. What do you do then?

Also, someone installed in a newer lighter in the dash. See attached picture. A big collar seems to be threaded onto the body of the lighter behind the dash (big coarse threads). I don't see a way to hold the body still while turning the collar. Maybe oil the threads?

How to remove dashboard switches and knobs Lighte10
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

How to remove dashboard switches and knobs Empty Re: How to remove dashboard switches and knobs

Post by Barnabas Wed May 06, 2020 4:14 pm

Ignition Switch -- after you push in the paper clip, turn the key counter clockwise and the lock cylinder should pull out.
    Press in on the rear of the switch and rotate the switch 1/8 turn counterclockwise (as viewed from the terminal end). Remove the bezel, switch and spacer.
    nwguy
    nwguy

Post by nwguy Wed May 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Barnabas wrote:Ignition Switch -- after you push in the paper clip, turn the key counter clockwise and the lock cylinder should pull out.
    Press in on the rear of the switch and rotate the switch 1/8 turn counterclockwise (as viewed from the terminal end). Remove the bezel, switch and spacer.

After you press in on the rear of the switch and rotate the switch 1/8 counterclockwise (I was able to do this), how exactly do you "remove the bezel"? It's still securely attached when I do that.
    nwguy
    nwguy

Post by nwguy Sat May 09, 2020 7:27 am

OK, I got both removed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:06 pm