VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
benwah
wylee
Scott
7 posters

Auto Part Stores – Favorites / Can’t Stand

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Auto Part Stores – Favorites / Can’t Stand Empty Auto Part Stores – Favorites / Can’t Stand

Post by Scott Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:46 am

When posting part sources on here I always wonder what store I should be posting part numbers from. I’m sure we all don’t have the same places, but I want others to be able to just go to the store and ask for the specific part number. It got me to thinking about what others like and dislike about the different chain Auto Part Places, local or online.

Locally I have three to choose from, NAPA, Oreilly, and Autozone.

NAPA

Positives: Only 15 miles away, they know their stuff, and they keep a much larger varitety of parts at the store

Negitives: Hard to find open, and they usually cost more.

Autozone
    Positives:
    Only 15 miles away, their hours are great, and they are cheap

Negitives: They don’t know anything about cars, most of what I ask for they don’t know what I’m talking about. If they can’t find it in their computer they can’t help. They remind me of a place we used to have all around here call ‘Chief Auto’, I once went in looking for 16 pushrods, after digging around on the computer they went back and came out with an armload of cams. Needless to say I quit shopping there. One thing that makes me cring at Autozone is when I’m checking out and they push their Knuckle Buster tool they have on sale, or telling me about the 'Fantastic Fuel Injector Cleaner' they have on sale. That alone makes me want to just walk out without buying anything.

Oreilly Auto
    Positives:
    Great hours, know what I’m talking about when I ask for something, their cheap, and what they don’t have they can get by the end of the day.

Negitives: 30 miles away, and not a great inventory kept at the store.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Auto Part Stores – Favorites / Can’t Stand Empty Re: Auto Part Stores – Favorites / Can’t Stand

Post by wylee Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:26 am

how true about auto zone, they dont have a clue... i have nappa also not bad, advanced auto- about the same as auto zone. one store is called east cost speed- all the nice stuff, crome,hp parts but pricy.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Auto Part Stores – Favorites / Can’t Stand Empty Re: Auto Part Stores – Favorites / Can’t Stand

Post by benwah Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:46 am

There all about the same up here, Napa didnt even have shorty plugs for a 350 with headders affraid ! I have a large folder of nothing but part numbers and what store napa-carquest ect... usually I make a list of things I need for the week and go to napa armed with part numbers and expecting to pick up my parts in a few days. Lets face it I dont expect any auto part store to have a large inventory of 40+ year old van and truck parts, in a perfect world it would be diffrent though,.... There was a mom n pop parts store next town over they knew their stuff. The old guy who ran it got furious with the town after a chain parts store moved next door, oh forgot to add the town gave the store chain a tax break?!!! He was telling me every time he wanted to add on the town was wanting their cut. Good bye 3 generation parts store you will be missed Sad
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:04 am

Ben,I'm with ya on'the little man'.Box stores & chains have killed those.Don't EVEN get me started with WallyWorld.
    We had an old guy who knew part numbers like Rachel Ray knows her spice cabinet.And what would cross reference. I miss those folks.
    Napa - the guy that runs it is such a jerk,I dont go in there.shame
    Auto Zone - usually have what i need,kinda skeptical on some of the quality of some parts.Hey AZ....it dont matter if i have 4wd or a/c for a valve cover gasket !
    O'reily- lil bit higher sometimes,but better parts.if they dont have what i need,they will have it soon.
    Carquest- not close to home,they do have a clue,dont treat folks like they are duma$$'s,competitive price,good quality,and more like old school parts house.
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:58 am

I too knew a guy at a Chevy garage that knew the parts #'s off the top of head and could recite them back to me! Sadly he retired and that was the end of that resource! Sad Those were the good 'ol days!
    B.W.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:27 am

Hate to say we are seeing the last of the good home town parts stores. The big chains are eating them up. People can't see the value in a good auto parts store. Everyones just looking for a cheap price. And with the cheap price comes no knowledge, bad quaitity and usually the wrong part.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:19 am

I like Advance Auto Parts or Rockauto.com

I do most of my shopping online though.
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:53 am

Auto Zone SUCKS......stupidly moronic sales people that are also extremely slow moving and lazy.....( at least around here)....PARTS CHEAP QUALITY too many times. I will do mail order before I do AUTO ZONE.

Advance Auto Parts ( parts America online)......THE BEST!.......best prices, good quality, fast special order. THIS PLACE GETS the lion share of my business!
    Smile

NAPA........use them sometimes but part quality can sometimes be bad. All in all though not to shabby.

Rock Auto online..........GREAT for hard to get stuff. Great prices too!

EBAY---> Well.........sometimes ya just gotta. It's like playing Russian Roulette..........ya never know if you'll make out or get screwed. LOL
    My "last resort place". JUST DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

LASTLY..........certain people on these forums will treat you great! And can be a great source for hard to get stuff or deals on used stuff.

"gp70" comes to mind as he just sold me a great door wing, complete & at a fair price. A painless transaction. THANKS GP70 ! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:23 am