VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

1965 E100 Van with interesting paint job

fermatseye
    fermatseye

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2020-02-15

1965 E100 Van with interesting paint job Empty 1965 E100 Van with interesting paint job

Post by fermatseye Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:23 pm

Greetings from Indianapolis USA. I picked up this Econoline after a long search about 3 weeks ago. So far I've done the brakes and am working on getting the engine running. It's got the 240c.i. and the 9" rear end, and it has passenger doors on both sides, which I had never seen before. The frame is remarkably solid for being an Indiana vehicle, but the front pans are pretty much gone. I bought some new ones but haven't installed them yet.

Now, the paint is interesting. They even painted the roof, I guess so people from the 2nd story of office buildings could see them as they made deliveries. I'm going to save it for now. The body has some rough spots, some bad bondo and repair jobs, etc., but I think I can get it presentable and functional without destroying the paint. I'll shoot clear over it for the time being.

Honestly, I would like to paint the whole van someday, so we'll see what happens. First order of business will be getting it driveable.

Let me know what y'all think.

1965 E100 Van with interesting paint job Img_2014
    1965 E100 Van with interesting paint job Img_2015
    1965 E100 Van with interesting paint job Img_2013
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

1965 E100 Van with interesting paint job Empty Re: 1965 E100 Van with interesting paint job

Post by vanny Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:26 pm

I do the Econo postings on this site and saw that Beauty and fell in Love with it! Congrats on the Major score!!! cheers cheers cheers

I would keep that Paint for as long as I could because it's showing it's age in spectacular fashion and it's only going to look that way once...Keep in mind that this is only my humble opinion and you should do whatever makes you happy!

That's a Fine piece of History!

I reimported your pics at 640 Pixels so they wouldn't get cutoff...

1965 E100 Van with interesting paint job Sports10

1965 E100 Van with interesting paint job Sports11

1965 E100 Van with interesting paint job Sports12

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

1965 E100 Van with interesting paint job Empty Re: 1965 E100 Van with interesting paint job

Post by jrdunn96 Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:55 am

Make that 2 votes for keeping the original paint! JM2C
    fermatseye
    fermatseye

Post by fermatseye Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:56 am

Looking good, that's 2 for keeping the original paint so far!

Thanks Vanny for fixing the pictures. I saw the post on how to keep them from getting clipped but of course I thought I was the exception to the rule and didn't read it (just being honest!)  Laughing

Originally the idea was to find a van to haul a couple of motorcycles to the track this spring and summer. I had my sights set on an Econoline from the 70's but after a long search this one came up and I couldn't say no. How practical that decision was is another matter! I may have to drop the handlebars to get one of the bikes to fit, but we'll see. Also, highway travel may be sketchy. It has the 3.5:1 gears assuming no one has changed them, but it looks like swapping those out for something a little more highway friendly is possible.

I stuck with the stock drum brakes for now, replaced everything including master cylinder and turned the drums. Good shocks and new tie rod ends are also on the list.

Surprisingly, the distributor is stuck in the engine block, and I do mean stuck. I've been soaking it with pen oil and applying heat but no movement yet. Once I get it out I have an electronic ignition setup to drop in.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:45 am

Sounds like you’re attacking the essentials first! Nice planning. Get the mechanicals working properly and then work on the fun stuff!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    chrlsful
    chrlsful

Number of posts : 184
    Registration date : 2014-04-22

Post by chrlsful Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:19 pm

Lub me an 8dor (-0- windows tho).
    240, even tho older, has some advantages over the 300. May B it's 'use the head on the 4.9'? And that's the way ta go if U wanna efi. (4.9 till 1996) I ues these guys for the straight poop:

https://fordsix.com/viewforum.php?f=2

Thanks for the posts~
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:53 am

Congrats on getting the van. An 8 door window van is unusual. With the 240 and a 9" is a good starting point. What year is it? If it's a 67 it's got a dual master cylinder and back up lights. 3 spd or auto?

I'm from Indiana, born and raised in Wabash.
    fermatseye
    fermatseye

Post by fermatseye Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:47 pm

chrlsful wrote:
    240, even tho older, has some advantages over the 300. May B it's 'use the head on the 4.9'? And that's the way ta go if U wanna efi. (4.9 till 1996) I ues these guys for the straight poop:

https://fordsix.com/viewforum.php?f=2

I'll definitely check into the head swap. Right now I'm still struggling with a stuck distributor. There was a little movement on it the other day so I think it's close. Once I get the new one in, new plugs and wires, and clean out the fuel system we'll see where that engine stands.
    Thanks for the link, that's a great forum! Man people have really pushed inline sixes to the limits on there, I love it!
    fermatseye
    fermatseye

Post by fermatseye Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:56 pm

Seth G wrote: What year is it? If it's a 67 it's got a dual master cylinder and back up lights. 3 spd or auto?

I'm from Indiana, born and raised in Wabash.

Hi Seth, It's a 1965 so it's got the old widowmaker single master cylinder. I bought a new one for now, but will eventually want to put a modern dual on there. As I've gotten a little older I've come to appreciate good brakes and good suspension. There is a distinct memory which crops up from time to time, from my early 20's, of blowing through a busy intersection in New Orleans in a 1964 Dodge D100 because when I pressed on the brake pedal it went straight to the floor. I paid $200 for that truck and drove it out of a farmer's field where it had sat for many years, changed the brake pads, oil, and new battery, added coolant and drove it from central Indiana to Louisiana! Should have checked the lines and MC! At the time I wasn't that phased, but these days I don't want to repeat it!

Oh and the van's a 3-speed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:36 pm