VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
kermit
sasktrini
Vanish
G-Man
8 posters

Replacing the /6 in the Mystery Machine

benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Replacing the /6 in the Mystery Machine - Page 2 Empty Re: Replacing the /6 in the Mystery Machine

Post by benwah Wed May 06, 2009 5:32 am

Hey..... thats a great idia! Looks good and must function well also!
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Replacing the /6 in the Mystery Machine - Page 2 Empty Re: Replacing the /6 in the Mystery Machine

Post by jkr Sat May 09, 2009 11:36 am

no offence neil but be real careful with that setup. these old engines make a good pile of vibration and the starter relay with a battery positive terminal and your spare ground are dangeroisly close together. i'm no physics major but the angle of your bracket and gravity along with engine vibration could equal disaster no matter how tight the bolts are. just my 2 cents

Post by Guest Sat May 09, 2009 3:04 pm

Good point. Maybe I'll move them around? What I didn't tell you though is, the bolts are WELDED to the metal bar! :-) I've also used toothed locking washers on every connection.

Post by Guest Sat May 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Speaking of welding, I bought a new Miller 140 welder. Works like a champ! I don't imagine I'll ever go back to a flux core wire thing after this, no way!

Project one was to weld up the holes in my floor, yes, the gas tank is out. That's being painted as we speak, then a new sender and new rubber hoses too.

I used a hydraulic jack to hold a piece of copper under the bottom just to make sure I didn't get burn through, works like a champ!

Replacing the /6 in the Mystery Machine - Page 2 Miller10

Replacing the /6 in the Mystery Machine - Page 2 Miller11

Replacing the /6 in the Mystery Machine - Page 2 Miller12
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sat May 09, 2009 4:36 pm

ok. that was forward thinking on your part to weld the bolts in place. should be good to go. yes those are great welders, we all should have one in our treasure pile.

Post by Guest Sat May 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Don't get me wrong, I only welded them because I pictured myself trying to adjust them with two wrenches and didn't like that thought. The safety thing never entered my mind!

I ALWAYS need a few tips on safety and someone to watch my back. It's the most important thing really.

I never used to wear safety goggles until I worked with a guy once that would shut down all the table saws and equipment and yell at me until I put them on. Since then I wear them 99% of the time and feel naked when I don't.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:05 am