VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Got delivery of that G 10 from Chicago today

Got delivery of that G 10 from Chicago today Empty Got delivery of that G 10 from Chicago today

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:35 am

Hey guys,

The trucker delivered that 66 G 10 to me today. Of course, right off the bat..............dead battery! THEN the 3 speed linkage gets stuck in 3rd (I think). The driver noticed the linkage moving behind the grille, pulled on it and..........................Cool! Un-stuck it! So a couple of initial questions: Could the column linkage be worn out and if so, is it available? Also, does anyone know a supplier for windshield rubber for a 66 G 10. A million more questions to follow. Thanks dudes!

B
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Got delivery of that G 10 from Chicago today Empty Re: Got delivery of that G 10 from Chicago today

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:47 am

Jammed up linkage is usually worn grommets,,,,,so look on both ends of each shift rod and check each bushing for wear and see if the levers on the trans are tight,,,,,

Got delivery of that G 10 from Chicago today Empty Re: Got delivery of that G 10 from Chicago today

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:03 am

Cool. Thanks. Are such parts available or would I just match up what I could generically.

B
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:37 am

We need pics!!!

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:41 am

Will do! I'm Mr Low tech, so I have to get my Daughter to (begrudingly) take the pics. I'll try to do it tonite. I had to run right back to work after it was dropped off but it looks like somebody removed the radio with a can opener! Lotsa fun ahead. Thanks guys.

B

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:14 pm

I had the same problem with the linkage on my 64. I was told I need the bushings or grommets that hold the linkage rods in place. I had trouble finding replacements so I just went to the plumbing section of my local home depot and found some rubber bushings that I cut to fit on the metal grommets. It helped out alot but I must warn you, these vans were built around this linkage. It was a simple fix, but not necessarly an easy one. Good luck and congratulations on your van!!!

-Ryan

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks Ryan,

I had to take delivery then run back to work. Looking forward to digging into it. I'm sure I'll have a lot more to share over the next few weeks....months.

B
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:00 pm

Here is what we use for a 64-66 Chevy/Gmc Van windshield. It will work, you might have to cut a bit out for a tight fit around the windshield. And you just need to check out your van and see what you got,,,,like worn out 40 year old linkage,,,,,but we got you covered here,,,,,,,

Got delivery of that G 10 from Chicago today Windsh12

Got delivery of that G 10 from Chicago today Worn_r11

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:08 pm

There are also pins that are bolted to the linkage rods, that look like square blocks with a hole, that end in a short round shaft.
    These wear the same way the rod end in the pic shows.
    I solved this by filling the wear point with weld, filing it to proper shape, and then doing a bit of home heat treating with a torch and a coffee can with some 30 wt oil in it.
    Heat it to red a few times and quench it in the oil, then heat it to 'less than red' a few times and quench it in the oil.
    Not professional, but it will work for you till you can find the NOS stuff you need.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks Mandos. You guys really know your stuff!! Thanks again.

B
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:31 pm

How about some pic's BOSS?

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Got delivery of that G 10 from Chicago today Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:43 pm

You got it Dan. Like I said I'm Mr. Low tech. My Daughter Will get the pics for me. We're expecting a few days of rain here in beautiful OC NY. :>) If you check some "members vans" it's "Winks Stormbringer". I'll get some motor pics etc. Thanks all.

B
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Got delivery of that G 10 from Chicago today 434804134_nXfLb-M

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:06 pm

Like the "leg burners"

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:31 pm

Thanks MK. Back in the 80's I had a '41 Ford Business cpe. With same pipes. (I was missing the running boards) My Ex burned the HECK out of her leg one day on them. (Not a good memory)
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:30 am

Looks good Boss. I think I remember this van, just can't remember where.... scratch

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:46 am

Thanks Dan,

It's listed on this forum under members vans (hopefully this link works) Thanks again. I'll get more pics going as soon as I can.

http://vintage-vans.smugmug.com/gallery/6803158_iA8iH#434804134_nXfLb

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed link....)
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:54 am

Yep, that's where I saw it... (Fixed your link for ya)

Sharp looking van Boss! Congrats! cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Post by Guest Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:22 am

Thanks Dan. (I can be pretty lame with technology sometimes)

Anyway, some member alerted everybody about it being on Craigslist. When I called the guy he didn't really have any strong candidates as buyers so I picked it up at a decent price. Transporting was only $600 so the whole thing made sense.

The prep of the paint job was not done to a very high standard, looks OK at 20 ft (depending on the lighting) Has a small block and 3 on the tree. Blazer seats, Skylark wheels and functional side pipes. Just a bunch of little stuff that needs attention. Stripped door handle shafts, sloppy shift linkage, etc. But, hey.......that's half the fun, right??? pale
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:33 am

Sounds like you got a good deal. And yes, working on them is half the fun. You can get info on just about anything relating to earlies here, just do a search here in forums and if you can't find what you looking for then just ask... Again, congrats and welcome to the club!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

sonnygable
    sonnygable

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2008-09-03

Post by sonnygable Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:56 pm

hey boss55,you did say your ex burned the crap out of herself,i wish i had a memory of my ex that way
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:10 pm

Oh Boy..... Her comes the "EX" jokes!!!! clown

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Post by Guest Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:15 pm

Good one guys. I guess in hindsight things could've been worse, right ? NOT!!! (just kidding)

B

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:58 pm