VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal???

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal??? Empty Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal???

Post by kookykrispy Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:23 pm

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about going to solid side doors on my '64. I know a couple sources where to get 2nd gen solid doors. I have heard that there are subtle differences between 1st vs. 2nd gen doors... specifically the upper lip, just below the drip rail is supposedly different between 1st and 2nd gen?? Can anyone shine some light on this for me? I don't want to get stuck with doors that are not correct for my van.

Thanks everyone!!
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal??? Empty Re: Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal???

Post by mo_1040 Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:45 pm

I have 1st gen doors on my '67. Both side and rear cargo doors. The upper lip is different but everything else is the same. My front doors are also from a 1st gen and the only difference in the sheetmetal is the top lip. And of course the 2nd gen front doors after '67 have the side marker lights.
    Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal??? Door10
    A little dusty Shocked time to give my van a cleaning!
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal??? Empty Re: Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal???

Post by mo_1040 Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:57 pm

I think if I had to I'd rather have 1st gen doors on a 2nd gen van than the other way around... Anyone have any pics of 2nd gen doors on a 1st gen???????

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:58 pm

I will take some pics of my rear doors, they are 2nd gen on the 65.

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:39 pm

Here's the pics of 2nd gen doors on a 1st gen, they dont look much different on the back.

Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal??? ATT00086Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal??? ATT00066Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal??? Atdoor
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:04 am

OK, the search continues for 1st gen solid doors then... or maybe I will just be happy with having windows for awhile.
    gotavan
    gotavan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by gotavan Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:38 pm

I have all years and doors here and I don't see much difference in the top form on the doors. The biggest changes are the hinge holes on 64's and the access holes on the inside. the check straps are different also. 2nd gens have a different inside door handle. Window and panel doors both have about the same shape at the top.
    Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal??? Corvan10
    The 1964 only had the small hinge holes before they were enlarged for the grommets.
    Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal??? 64door10
    1964 panel van from GM
    Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal??? 64hing10
    1966 panel door on a 64 GMC
    Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal??? 65-68d10
    1965 door left and 1968 door right
    Any difference between 1st and 2nd gen side cargo door sheetmetal??? Factor10
    this is the 1963 promotional folder look at the top corner of the rear cargo door.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:00 pm

Yup, they look about the same to me.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:02 pm

Cool, looks like 2nd gen should work fine on a 1st gen...

Post by Guest Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:17 pm

I checked out all the doors that I have (2 2nd gen & 6 1st gen) and the top trim/molding really doesnt look any different on any of the doors.
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:56 pm

This made me curious and I looked at all my first gen doors and the 2nd gen doors and they all are the same. bill
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Post by mo_1040 Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:22 pm

So these doors are not designed to match the body line? That's interesting.
    This is my first van and was told I have 1st Gen doors(which I do). I just always thought the body line on the top of the doors didn't line up because of that. Learn something new every day!
    That's one of the best things about this websight...all the things we can learn from each other...
    I for one appreciate all the info everyone has shared in this post as well as all the others...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:21 pm