VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Engine fan: automatic or manual?

Engine fan: automatic or manual? Empty Engine fan: automatic or manual?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:23 am

I have to pull a switch to turn on the engine fan and cool the engine off in my 67 A. This seems strange as my 65 Coronets were auto fan cooled. Plus it makes the alt work really hard and I'm on my second one in 3 months. So my question is was the engine fan automatic or manual from the factory?

Thanks,

jocolor
    69 a 100
    69 a 100

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-01-03

Engine fan: automatic or manual? Empty Re: Engine fan: automatic or manual?

Post by 69 a 100 Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:18 pm

my fan is automatic i dont believe any A came with a manual fan but i could be wrong
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:27 pm

so is it an electrical fan? - upon reading your post i have to guess you are saying an electrical fan is placing an increased load ( more current needed ) on your electrical system - but then i may be misreading - some more info should help - engine, stock or mods of engine / electrical - etc - oo3
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Engine fan: automatic or manual? Empty Engine Fan

Post by BADBADGER Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:08 am

Many moons ago I had a 67 A100 purchased from the original owner. It did not have a electric fan of any kind. The origianal fan was a steel blade which I replaced with a multi blade flex fan after the steel blade was damaged when a motor mount broke. I owned the van is So California and drove it to the desert and Baja Ca. Never had a heat problem. Engine was 318 with auto trans. Hope this info helps.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:16 am

Mine is a 318/727 also. I think I need to dump the electric fan someone put in there and get the same one you put in. I wonder why someone would put in an electric fan??
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Post by BADBADGER Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:23 pm

It's hard too say why one would put in an electric fan in place of a standard fan if the cooling system was working as designed. Are you having cooling/ heating problems?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:37 pm

And where is the fan,,,,,behind the radiator taking the place of the original fan blade or somewhere in front of the radiator. they make kits to automatically control that fan. I have a mechanical fan on my Chevy Van , a big 5 blade Ford type and a little helper fan on top of the belly pan in case things heat up,,,,,,I doubt that an electric fan would harm a 40 amp alternator,,,,,,are you running that little 2 wire mechanical voltage regulator????

Engine fan: automatic or manual? Reinva10

Post by Guest Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:39 pm

Engine fan: automatic or manual? P6080114
    This is the fan that is in my van. I can turn it on without the key!

Engine fan: automatic or manual? P6080115

Not sure what this is. Maybe the voltage regulator?

Engine fan: automatic or manual? P6080116

Wires run all over the place! I really need to rewire the whole thing. My first kid is due in 2 weeks so it will have to wait a bit!

Engine fan: automatic or manual? P6080117

The white button in the upper right is the one set to control the fan. What was it?

Post by Guest Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:41 pm

BADBADGER wrote:It's hard too say why one would put in an electric fan in place of a standard fan if the cooling system was working as designed. Are you having cooling/ heating problems?

No cooling problems when the fan is on. Not much for heat in the winter though.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:59 pm

Thats the starter relay,,,,,,,the voltage regulator is probably under the dash like above the gas pedal. Vans depend on the bellypan to shoot air up to the radiator going down the road and sitting there at idle, the mechanical blade aint doing much good. Thats why an electric fan is ALWAYS on the job,,,,,I have a twist 60 minute ceiling fan timer under my dash as well as a switch. Here is one of those temperature sensing relays for an add on electric fan

Engine fan: automatic or manual? Electr10

Engine fan: automatic or manual? Electr11

Engine fan: automatic or manual? Electr12

Engine fan: automatic or manual? Electr13

Engine fan: automatic or manual? Electr14
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Post by BADBADGER Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:14 pm

Looking at the pics, it appears that the original steel fan was replaced by the plastic electrical fan. Installing a manual flexfan of the right diameter should eliminate the need for the electrical fan altogther. The installation requires using a spacer or two to set the correct distance from the back of the radiator tubes to the front of the fan. Comes with the fan. The flex fan changes pitch as rpm increases. Mine worked very well for quite a few years. Im probably preaching to the choir here but the cooling system is a balance of several components that need to be working together to provide proper cooling in the summer and proper heating in the winter. So bear with me on this:
    Radiator : proper thickness and number of tubes and coils, clean inside and out.
    Radiator cap: correct pressure and seals well.
    Radiator shroud in place.
    Correct thermostat installed with the right side toward engine.
    Water pump operating correctly. Correct coolant mixture.
    All hoses in good shape. ( I had a messed up by pass hose on mine, looked ok on the outside but the inside failed, drove me crazy all of one summer.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:41 pm

and I would add if you use a flex fan, it would be a good idea to have a bellypan on there to divert the air up to the radiator when that fan straightens out and quits pulling air at a high RPM,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:17 am

Looks like someone added the late style dual belt setup to the engine. Depending on what water pump pulley was used, there may have not been enough room for the stock fan, so an electrical one was used instead.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 3:34 pm