VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Radiator Fan

SportVan
    SportVan

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2013-06-13

radiator - Radiator Fan Empty Radiator Fan

Post by SportVan Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:43 pm

I had a 5-blade fiberglass flex on my 66 Chevy SportVan with a in-line 250 out of a 79 C10. I was driving 75mph and the engine overheated. Reportedly at high rpms the flex fan flattens out and doesn't pull much air through radiator. Found out the aluminum timing gears needed to have been heat treated when put on instead of banged on incorrectly. As such, things got messed up, my cam started walking, causing the timing to keep jumping, roll pin in distributor gear to shear and eventually ruin cam and lifters. Anyone using electric fan, if so what brand? If Not, are you using a factory fan and how many blades? Thanks
    SteelyVan
    SteelyVan

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2009-08-14

radiator - Radiator Fan Empty Re: Radiator Fan

Post by SteelyVan Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:54 am

Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:40 am

radiator - Radiator Fan Rad410
    My Van has a 7 blade fan that was on the 6 cyl. when I got the Van, I don't think it is the original fan. It works well without the belly pan or shroud but the engine does get hot sometimes.
    radiator - Radiator Fan Img_0910
    I added a electric fan to the front of the rad that is hooked up to a timer switch I can turn on when needed and the timer will shut it off if I use it after stopping to keep the fumes out of the Van. (Dovivan's "hamburger fan")
    radiator - Radiator Fan Img_0911
    Timer switch.
    In this picture you can also see the tunnel I added to the front of the doghouse which really helps get air to the radiator.

I have been reading up on the advantage's of a clutch fan and am thinking that might be a better fan choice for the future.
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:00 pm

I hope I can post a picture of what I have. I have 2 smaller fans that I staggered so they are at the inlet and outlet of the radiator. I also have the largest aluminum radiator I could stuff in there.
    The fans "sorta" worked but, it still needed a belly pan. Once I made my belly pan, they cool perfectly.
    radiator - Radiator Fan Dsc00811

radiator - Radiator Fan Dsc00812

radiator - Radiator Fan Dsc00813
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 pm

BTW, it is best to "Pull" instead of "Push". Also, two fans keep the fan motors away from the water pump pulley.
    The fans come on with a thermostat. I am going to be changing it so that one will stay on till the engine thermostat cools down. That will keep less heat in there to heat up the interior of the van.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:23 am