VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Seat material

jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Seat material Empty Re: Seat material

Post by jrdunn96 Thu May 06, 2021 3:33 pm

Thanks for letting us know. Sorry you had to find out the hard way. Sad
    Jim
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Thu May 06, 2021 9:19 am

Follow-up: DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SMS AUTO FABRICS!!! Took me two years of hassling them just to get two rolls of vinyl. I had ordered front seats and all the stock panels for a 1st Gen Sportvan Deluxe. They actually have the patterns they can stamp into vinyl, just like stock, but their quality is questionable. Someone had two-tone seat vinyl made. It was shipped rolled up and when they unrolled it, the white started delaminating from the turquoise!

And their customer service is HORRIBLE!! They don't take phone calls anymore so I had to email them every week. They can make vinyl in any color and texture, but it is very expensive per yard and I've been told it is not high quality. The color can be scratched off the vinyl I got. When they finally sent me the second roll, it was not the same color as the first one they sent!! They did own up to that and eventually gave me the right color.

It's too bad. They can match anything and I had high hopes but I am very glad to be done with them now!

KAYTWO likes this post

VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:14 am

I received my first shipment from SMS! This vinyl will be used by a local upholsterer to make the sides and backs of my front seats. Next they'll make the "inserts," into which they will emboss the fake seams and the white stripe.  

Since my paint color is a little different than the stock turquoise, I didn't want to use the stock vinyl color, which it a "metallic" turquoise. It looked too green next to my paint color, and made the paint look more blue. I had them send me samples of all the colors similar to the stock one. This is also a metallic, but a better match. (Metallic doesn't mean it has "metal flakes" in it. It means it's less "flat" than a regular color. Like modern paints that have more "flop," it has more contrast when seen at different angles. Highlights are brighter, shadows are darker.)

Seat material Sms_vi10

KAYTWO likes this post

Tanz
    Tanz

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2018-03-03

Post by Tanz Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:26 pm

VANagain wrote:SMS Auto Fabrics can reproduce the stock vinyl for your seats. I know they have the dies to emboss the patterns for seats and interior panels for 1st Gen Sportvans. And in any color! Contact them to see if they have the 2nd Gen dies and patterns.

https://smsautofabrics.com/

Warning: They have a 6 - 12 month waiting list! I keep meaning to put in my order to get on the list... If I'd have ordered them when I first talked with them, I'd have them by now!! Rolling Eyes

Thanks mate, ordered and told 1 to 2 weeks delivery!!
    Also, your van pic is the colour of what mine used to be...

KAYTWO likes this post

VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Mon May 21, 2018 11:19 pm

SMS Auto Fabrics can reproduce the stock vinyl for your seats. I know they have the dies to emboss the patterns for seats and interior panels for 1st Gen Sportvans. And in any color! Contact them to see if they have the 2nd Gen dies and patterns.

https://smsautofabrics.com/

Warning: They have a 6 - 12 month waiting list! I keep meaning to put in my order to get on the list... If I'd have ordered them when I first talked with them, I'd have them by now!! Rolling Eyes
    Tanz
    Tanz

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2018-03-03

Seat material Empty Seat material

Post by Tanz Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi, need to recover the front seats, can anyone help with a material number or type for a 68 deluxe sport van. I am in the UK. Thanks guys

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:10 pm