BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Dodge A108 Roadtrip USA

kai-by-vecona

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2018-02-17

Dodge A108 Roadtrip USA

Post by kai-by-vecona on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:17 am

Hi Everybody,

my name is Kai and I'm from Germany. I turned 50 this year and fullfiled a dream travelling around the States in July for 7 weeks.

I already bought an '69 A108 which the previous owner help me to get everything working fine until I arrive in July to have the best chances for the trip.

I don't won't hear anything that it's nuts to buy a car just from three pictures and a phone call but I already did it twice and it wored fine so here's my third try :-)

I start 8th of July in Virgina, down to Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans, Dallas, El Paso, Phoenix, LA, San Francisco, Portland, Chicago, Boston and finally New York. Many Miles for seven weeks.... but if it works it will be fine, if not, it was worth a try.

During the trip I will meet friends, buy parts for my other cars which are hard to find here in Germany (a 42 Dodge Coupe and a 55 DeSoto) and like to meet new people.

So, if anyone lives nearby my route, wants to meet or knows any good yunkards for parts I would be glad to receive an answer.

I'm also interested if anyone could tell me if there are week points at the A108 which I should keep an I one. I'll buy all neccessarx small parts for iginition, cooling, electric, fluids and lots of tape, glue and clamps in advance but it would be great to know most known upcoming things that could happen... cause I will make it on his wheells not on an AAA hauler.

Thanks and I hope to meet some of you soon

Kai
jrdunn96

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2016-01-01

Re: Dodge A108 Roadtrip USA

Post by jrdunn96 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Welcome Kai! It sounds like an excellent adventure. It'll be great to have you visit the U.S. I'm sorry to say that I live off your route(about 240 miles North of Dallas).
Jim
vanny

Number of posts : 10585
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:28 pm

Welcome Kai, that sounds like a trip to remember!!! Great way to celebrate turning 50! Sounds like you have a nice collection of vehicles. Please keep us posted and post pictures, we'd love to see and hear about your adventure. It's neat to see that American cars are popular overseas as well as here in the USA. I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip as it gets nearer! Very Happy cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
kai-by-vecona

Post by kai-by-vecona on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Hello Jim,

I visit a friend (also a Jim :-) in Arp, Texas who sold me the 42 Dodge in 2012. I try to stay there some days so we never know... it all depends how fast I'm on my way and how often I have to make repair breaks :-) We stay in touch :-)

Hi Vanny,

of course here are lots of fans of American Cars. The Desoto is still a project and I bought a 392 Hemi in Redding CA, that's also a reason in buying a A108 'cause I have to pick up the engine there.

Of course I'm going to document the trip and hope to get some greats pics from all the great places of the US

Best wishes

Kai

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:30 pm

That's some great idea. Have to take care of that special day next year...

Hope to see some nice pics and stories.

If you're in need of help - let these guys here on vintage-vans know. I have not found a nicer community, yet Smile. Extremely helpful friends around.

Will you stop by in Herten in August (Mopar Nats in Germany)?
OutofSight

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Welcome aboard and enjoy the adventure!
kai-by-vecona

Post by kai-by-vecona on Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks 69 and OutofSight!

Great to see, that are also some guys from Germany. Think I can't join Herten because I will be still in the States unti end of August, but maybe next year with the A108 :-)

Kai
mattimuss

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Post by mattimuss on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:22 am

Hello Kai,

If you find that you are going to be in the San Diego area let me know. I'm here if you need any help. I can PM you my contact info.
kai-by-vecona

Post by kai-by-vecona on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:34 am

Hello Matt,

it's a little south and I don't know if I find the time but who never knows. Would be glad if we could meet. If you could leave me your contact data, that would be fine...

Thanks and best wishes

Kai
apedave

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2017-05-09

Post by apedave on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:11 pm

What route are you taking between LA and San Fransisco? If you are coming up the 99 through the Central Valley, I would gladly buy you lunch in exchange for stories of your trip!

-Dave
kai-by-vecona

Post by kai-by-vecona on Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:06 am

Hello Dave,

we have noch special plan. We just look where the road leads us to. It would be a pleasure to meet you and I hope I have some good stories to tell until then :-)
When I fly to the States I will get an US Mobile phone. As soon as I have a number I send you an PM s we could get in contact. I think I will be in your areay about beginning of August.
I'm really looking forward to meet you :-)

Kai

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:57 am