VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

changing for a younger one...

changing for a younger one... Empty changing for a younger one...

Post by Guest Sun May 31, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi everyone, i'm new here, you guys seem to know your stuff, so i have a little question for you, i'm planning to change my old original 1966 slant six from for a newer one, i decided to go super six ( that i'm still searching for), all the one that i've found were all with automatics tranny, ....is there a problem to match my old ringear with the new engine?, wil it fit?. is there a dash pot for the BBD carter carb? is there something i should lookout for? anyone did this ? it should'nt be complicated but i prefer to know befor i start doin the job, thanks to everybody...
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

changing for a younger one... Empty Re: changing for a younger one...

Post by jkr Sun May 31, 2009 5:49 pm

just my opinion, but the older slant 6 blocks were better than the newer ones. the biggest difference in the two would be better valves and valve seats (unleaded fuel). older ones had solid lifters and cams which means perodic valve adjustment. not nessacary to change everything but the manifold assemblies, intake and exhaust. don't seperate them unless you really have to and make sure to check the mounting surface with a straight edge. if their warped or been seperated get them resurfaced at a machine shop. your biggest challenge would be to make the throttle linkage work....good luck..
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 pm

Did the same thing with my wife a few years back. New one runs much better and is un-leaded... The old one had way to much lead and made this god awful noise everything you tried to get her in gear!!! lol!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

changing for a younger one... Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:30 am

there may be an issue with newer engine mating to your trans - could be wrong but i think that has been discussed here at some point - a good super six article and much slant info here - slantsix.org - if you do use a newer complete engine you may want to grab some wiring to splice in - newer engines come with dual field alternators and electronic ignition - both pluses in my book - oo3

Post by Guest Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:04 pm

I did the same thing awhile ago, best thing ti've ever done!!!!! I now laugh better love life and still go truckin' Cool
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:31 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:Did the same thing with my wife a few years back. New one runs much better and is un-leaded... The old one had way to much lead and made this god awful noise everything you tried to get her in gear!!! lol!
    so where do you take them to exchange for the new and improved version???????????????
    on a more serious note the bellhousing bolt pattern on the leaning tower of power has not changed ( and i'm sure of this ) from the first 194 cid to the last 225 in the early 90's. and all had a 6 bolt flywheel mount.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:59 pm