VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

67 shackle rebuild

67 shackle rebuild Empty 67 shackle rebuild

Post by Guest Sat May 30, 2009 6:28 am

I've been able to find the spring eye bushings for my van, but not the shackle rebuild kits for the back of the springs. What have some of you guys done? scratch
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

67 shackle rebuild Empty Re: 67 shackle rebuild

Post by donivan65 Sat May 30, 2009 7:45 pm

Well,,,,,,a 1st Gen shackle is the same as a 55 Chevy car,,,,,,,now the question is, is yours the same,,,,,give me some dimensions,,,,,and what do you really need,,,,the bolts????

67 shackle rebuild Spring10

Post by Guest Sun May 31, 2009 5:56 am

I'll have to get it torn down for the measurement. The rubber bushing looks really bad on one, and as you'd expect, lots of rust to battle. I'll be replacing bolts as well to avoid dealing with that part. Appears you went back with poly...do you like the ride with those?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun May 31, 2009 10:51 am

The front of the springs have those metal capsules pressed into them and they are hard to find. So I cut down those red bushings and a sleeve to replace it. They are better than nothing,,,,,they do make some noise,,,,,those 4 rubber bushings on each shackle are probably from a 2nd Gen that I cut down. If you put a bottle jack on top of the spring and jack up the frame, you can take the pressure off the shackles and remove the bolts to check them,,,,,,,that is,,,,,IF they feel like coming out,,,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sun May 31, 2009 1:14 pm

IF they feel like it...heh. Putting shocks on this thing without air tools was a very humbling feeling. I also have several other projects that are covered in lots of tasty rust...my hot rod and rock crawler. One of these days I might lose my taste for old iron...but really doubt it...
    Thanks for the tip on the jack situation...have a feeling that will be a big time saver.
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Sun May 31, 2009 2:21 pm

renrob5000 wrote:IF they feel like it...heh. Putting shocks on this thing without air tools was a very humbling feeling. I also have several other projects that are covered in lots of tasty rust...my hot rod and rock crawler. One of these days I might lose my taste for old iron...but really doubt it...
    Thanks for the tip on the jack situation...have a feeling that will be a big time saver.

PB BLASTER + patience cures "most" corrosion. Smile
    You'd be surprised what will come loose in good shape with some good old PB Blaster applied liberally over a few days time. ( Sea Foam makes an even better rust killer/break free spray called "DEEP CREEP" --> http://www.seafoamsales.com/deep-creep/index.html )

I'm interested in a second gen shackle bushing rebuild ( as I too have a 67)............so please keep us updated on the HOW, WHERE & HOW MUCH.

Smile

Post by Guest Sun May 31, 2009 5:10 pm

I had PB Blaster...and a torch...a cheater pipe, and some ripe language. Friend gave me a couple of things to try...after I was through. Wire brush the threads, heat it up w/torch, the put a candle to the threads. He also said another forum he was on said a mixture of 50% ATF and 50% finger nail polish was a real winner too. Haven't had a chance to try these two out. Found the front spring eye bushings here...but haven't ordered them as of yet.
    http://ecomserv.bytedesigns.com

Post by Guest Sun May 31, 2009 6:55 pm

geez...post should have read 50% ATF and 50% nail polish remover. affraid (having nightmares of someone putting nail polish on their bolts.....)
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun May 31, 2009 7:08 pm

Have you tried the candle trick yet??? I have heard about that one before, but have never tried it yet. That tip was in Hot Rod years ago.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:19 am

Not yet. Out of town with work. Will give it a shot when I get back to Texas. Just internet connection in the mountains...get to do planning here.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:24 pm