VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
jrdunn96
sittingheavy69
ac95
JackeFriend
67VanHelsing
vrod64
No1rascal
kookykrispy
Vanquished
13 posters

My overheating, radiator solution

sittingheavy69
    sittingheavy69

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2018-06-24

radiator - My overheating, radiator solution  - Page 2 Empty Re: My overheating, radiator solution

Post by sittingheavy69 Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:41 pm

radiator - My overheating, radiator solution  - Page 2 A7541710
    radiator - My overheating, radiator solution  - Page 2 001c8510
    radiator - My overheating, radiator solution  - Page 2 D1ed3b10
    I used the three attachment points on the radiator guard and just used sheet metal screws into the upper part of the shackle housing. I made sure it sits higher than the shackle housing so it’s not lower than that.
    67VanHelsing
    67VanHelsing

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2014-03-04

radiator - My overheating, radiator solution  - Page 2 Empty Re: My overheating, radiator solution

Post by 67VanHelsing Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:28 am

Nice work! Glad you were able to get this resolved. Crazy how the proper air flow affects the cooling system.
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:18 pm

Just a thought, has anyone put a chimney from the top of the doghouse out the roof? Very Happy
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:35 pm

I remember a thread about someone rigging up a blower that blew the heat out the back of the doghouse through a vent tube that ran under the van along the frame. I believe it was a set up in a Dodge. I bet Dix could direct you to the thread.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:51 pm

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t47791-fan-in-doghouse-to-blow-air-out?highlight=Doghouse

If you do a search on doghouse there are a few threads on the subject of pumping hot air out of the back of the doghouse and out under the van

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:21 pm

OK, I was sort of kidding about the chimney. The bilge blower seems like a great idea though. I did a little reading and it looks like most of them are meant to run for short periods of time but there are some that are made for continuous use. The one I saw was a Jabco for about $220. It uses a 4" duct line, it moves 235 cfm and draws 6 amps. The reviews say it's quiet.
    Thanks for posting that reply Vanny!
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:54 am

No problem Sam! When I see these interesting subject threads, I usually save the url address to a file for future reference but sometimes I forget which computer I saved it on and where I stored the file...I remember that I liked it, I remember that I saved it, I just can't remember where I put it...Hee, hee hee... Embarassed Razz

AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:03 pm

I had a big-ass aluminum scoop under the front of my 66 van (396 powered) and kept crunching it on driveways (but it did work)…..
    For my dropped 69, I'm thinking of having a couple of side rails extending from the bottom of the valance to the bottom radiator support that has angled aluminum slats (think louvers) at whatever widths and depths that I can get away with.... The very front "louver" (louvre?) would look like an air dam, but be tucked behind the valance.... I'm also considering plumbing TWO aluminum radiators, angled back and spaced apart, each with it's own air dam and fan because I'm installing a 454 and figure I want big coolant capacity being cooled..... I'm going to have a lot of doghouse space because I'm setting the engine back (likely) 18 inches...
    mitechman
    mitechman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2014-10-23

radiator - My overheating, radiator solution  - Page 2 Empty engine cooling

Post by mitechman Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:25 am

When I did an engine swap in my Dodge A100 truck (98 camaro LS1) I used a 4 core radiator and a black magic 16" fan that came with a shroud- you need a shroud it takes the radiator and tapers down to the fan or our just pulling air around the fan and not the whole radiator. Summit racing has lots of fans with shrouds to choose from, including ones that have an adjustable fan thermostat. a shrouded 3500+ CFM fan should fix most overheating issues. If you still have problems- the older Japan cab-over vans actually used TWO radiators, one flat in front of the main engine rad with a fan blowing down.radiator - My overheating, radiator solution  - Page 2 Dodgef11

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:30 pm