VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
lws67
jkr
Keith D
7 posters

Small block chevy in a A100 ?

Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Small block chevy in a A100 ? Empty Small block chevy in a A100 ?

Post by Keith D Wed May 31, 2017 9:12 am

Has anyone put a small block Chevy motor into a A100 / A108 van? If so what was involved?
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Small block chevy in a A100 ? Empty Re: Small block chevy in a A100 ?

Post by jkr Wed May 31, 2017 2:37 pm

I haven't nor would I ever but I know of two that were done around here. sbc has a lower height than a dodge and the turbo 350,turbo 400, and 700r are as short as the correct 727 would be. the rest is like mom's cake, made from scratch....
    Keith D
    Keith D

Post by Keith D Wed May 31, 2017 4:21 pm

jkr wrote:I haven't nor would I ever but I know of two that were done around here. sbc has a lower height than a dodge and the turbo 350,turbo 400, and 700r are as short as the correct 727 would be. the rest is like mom's cake, made from scratch....

I figured that for the same amount of money to rebuilt my 318 and upgrade it with roller rockers and Edelbrock heads I could get a brand new Chevy motor with all the goodies and a roller cam to boot. It also would have a 150 more horse power to boot. BTW I was planning on getting it in 383 ci. that should make the Mopar purest a little happy...right?

LOL...
    lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Post by lws67 Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:18 am

No need to stick a lesser engineered brand engine (Chivy 350 vs Mopar SB) in a Dodge just based on cost! affraid All Chivy is is abundant, therefore cheap. Parts to parts the Mopar makes more power, do the research. You don't need frivolous Edelbrock heads or roller setups to make serious power with any make. There are better heads ootb than Edelbrock, and for much less. And the Torqueflite is a superior trans also. Take the 318, buy a 4" stroker kit, makes it a 390, do some head work, select components to work together, you already have a trans. So cost is the only issue but it's moot, you'll be better off building what you have and make more power. But the value of the van with a Chivy drivetrain will also be less than if it had what should be in it (Mopar) when it comes time to possibly sell it, not to mention you reduce the number of prospective buyers. Don't do it man!!geek
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:11 pm

saving an a van and putting a sbc in it is a moot point. just save the early !! a wise man said " if we all liked vanilla ice cream it would be a boring world". do something different. so have a dodge with chevy power. we would all see dodge first....

Post by Guest Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:19 pm

My '64 A Pup came with a Chevy 305 4 bbl. and 350 trans. I appreciate the engineering that it took to make everything work, and it runs GREAT. Also, I have always liked oddball stuff, like small block V8s in British sports cars and V8 motorcycles.

No one bats an eye at SBC swaps into Fords, so why the fuss about swapping in a bastard engine into a MOPAR?

BTW, we put a 327 Chevy into a Tacoma pickup once, mostly because that's what we had: a pickup with a shot drive train and a spare Chevy block. That thing went like crazy but handled like the Queen Mary. Do not do that unless you are looking for straight-line speed! Couldn't keep tires on it, either.

But, I digress. Build 'em like you want 'em, resale be damned.

jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Keith,
    I say, it's your dream! Dream whatever color and flavor you want.
    Jim
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Well using the word Chevy in the Dodge section sometimes raises the hair on the back of the neck.

Now the small block GM platform is probably the easiest most cost effective engine transmission platform to use if one has a hankering to do a little playing around, hot rodders love them, Ford is one of the hardest to fit in a non ford followed by Mopar in anything but Mopar. Dollar for dollar the Mopar is the most expensive engine to build, facts of life being the red headed step child.

For me whatever blows your skirt, heck I put a Ford 9" in my Dodge van, there was no mention of lynching or being burned at the stake. Go for it!

Keith D
    Keith D

Post by Keith D Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:18 pm

The idea of putting a small block that is light and makes as much power as a 70s big block for a reasonable price is appealing. You can get a LS motor and make even more power and have even less weight that a Chevy 383 small block. It sure would be fun to have a 12 second A108 van, it that would definitely turn heads at the starting line.

On the other hand, the idea of having to doing major engineering to get it to fit in and work correctly is not appealing. From what I am starting to gather there is no "simi-easy" way of getting a Chevy engine in to a A100. I was kind of hoping that someone who had done it before could tell me the parts used and I would not have to reinvent the wheel.

I am starting to think that I may get the van up and running with the 318 and then later down the road when I feel the need for speed I will revisit the engine choices. I have seen where you can stroke a 360 to something like 408 CI. That may be an easier way of doing it as I have seen rebuild able 360s for sale cheap. Although I have heard of some issues with the 408.

Anyway I have a lot to think about which way to go with the old van. Thanks to everyone for your inputs...and keep them coming.
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:53 pm

if I was young and nimble enough to attempt a swap into an a series it would be a new style hemi. harness and computer kits from mother mopar. and just like swapping in a chev all fab work. but those new hemi's make gobs of horsepower like a sbc and readily available in salvage yards. short transmissions too. but alas, to old, fat, and half crippled to attempt it.....
    lws67
    lws67

Post by lws67 Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:23 pm

I'm doing a 408 stroker at the moment, projected 450+ HP and hoping for low 12's in the 1/4 mile, not really concerned about cost, just an old school type build, a few modern pieces, nothing extravagant, just solid proven parts, it's gonna be done right regardless. I know I will have traction issues but who cares! If ones goals are driven purely by cost then they'd need to consider the whole package: engine, trans, accessories etc. Being you have a V8 and trans already in place with all the brackets, pulleys, linkage, driveshaft etc you are way ahead and won't have to fork out for all that stuff that will add up quick, if you do some research you may find it'll be cheaper to build what you have vs. what you'll invest swapping in another make of drivetrain. Lots of people building stout 318's, as well as stroking them to a 390. Might wanna check out "For A Bodies Only" forum, tons of info on builds and great advice regarding small block builds, especially on a budget.
    uncle ron
    uncle ron

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2012-05-31

Small block chevy in a A100 ? Empty chevy in a mopar

Post by uncle ron Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Mopar engines really are expensive .                                                                                        
                                                                                                    Small block chevy in a A100 ? Mopar_10

Keith D
    Keith D

Post by Keith D Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Cool... I will see if I can talk the wife into selling our house so we can buy the engine. I will let her know that there is free shipping, that ought to do the trick.

If that doesn't work I will let her know that we can live in the van and with that engine if we need to make a fast getaway we can.   cheers
    lws67
    lws67

Post by lws67 Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:09 am

I hear there's a nice spot down by the river just perfect to park it!clown
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:34 pm

uncle ron wrote:Mopar engines really are expensive .                                                                                        
                                                                                                    Small block chevy in a A100 ? Mopar_10

these are circle track and drag race engines. not much streetability but certainly stout. a stroked LA style 318 with minimal machine shop work will be considerably less money and horsepower but more street friendly and enough torque to pull a house off a foundation...
    CJ66
    CJ66

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2017-01-05

Post by CJ66 Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:56 pm

This is a LSI 2006 and it fit great along with its auto tranny. I added a stand alone wiring harness, GM power master cylinder, front brakes, corvette radiator down under. Stays cool, parts are cheap as someone mentioned. If I need to work on it i pull the doghouse remove the seats and its so easy!

Small block chevy in a A100 ? 1_0b10Small block chevy in a A100 ? 1_1b11

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:38 pm