VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Digz
AzDon
vanny
back2thewoods
Skulptorchaz
9 posters

Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

radiator - Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.  Empty Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:21 am

Hey guys,
     I have been working on cooling my 292 since I can not go more than 4 miles down the highway without it getting hot. In town, and idling, it's OK.
     I have talked with several of you and it seems I need a belly pan and/or a cooling tunnel. Since I could not find one for a reasonable price, I'm building one. I am also, basically, building a cooling tunnel, regardless if the pan cools it enough, as I would like for it to be a cool console. I won't cut in the holes to make it a cooling tunnel if the belly pan works.
     History:
     I put a 292 in my van as the 194 was shot...........and I like power. Smile I also put in a larger aluminum radiator (custom altered by me) with 2 - 11'' electric fans. (I'm going to switch them to be able to turn off with the ignition, in the winter for more heat, and off of the engine thermostat in the summer to take some of the heat out of the doghouse when I stop.)
     The radiator was a bit taller, as well as the 292 and Weber carb, so I flipped the dog house lid and modified it for the carb.

radiator - Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.  Dsc00813

The next thing was that the radiator also dropped a little lower so I made a guard out of 2''x2''x3/16'' angle iron to protect it. It will also be the mount for my belly pan.

radiator - Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.  Dsc00814

radiator - Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.  Dsc00815

So now the belly pan. I made it from 1/8'' aluminum and it will be attached to the guard and run all the way forward. It will actually extend down an inch below the front splash pan and about 2 inches or so forward of it to create a scoop.
    It also has 3 louvers in it, 2'' wide front, 2 1/2'' middle and 3'' wide rear that extend down a little more each time as you go back. I'm hoping, between the scoop and graduated openings of the louvers, that it will pick up a lot of air BUT, I also know from my heating and air friends, air can do some weird things.

radiator - Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.  Dsc00816

radiator - Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.  Dsc00817

radiator - Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.  Dsc00818

So there ya have it so far. I still have to weld a front mount to both the pan and the frame and close up the sides of the louvers and put center braces in them to stiffen them up. I just thought I'd fire off some pix now in case one of you have any other suggestions or advice.
    Enjoy, and I hope maybe this might help someone else in the future as you guys have sure helped me a lot!!
    Chaz
    back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

radiator - Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.  Empty Re: Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.

Post by back2thewoods Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:13 pm

nice fab work
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

radiator - Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.  Empty Re: Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.

Post by vanny Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:03 pm

Looks Great Chaz...looks very professional! Very Happy

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Thanks guys. I just hope it works as planned.
    More pix to come......
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:08 pm

I like it!
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:17 pm

Hey Gents,
    Well, here it is. I finished welding it up, mounted it and took it for a spin to see if it would work before I touch it up in case I had any MAJOR alterations to do (it warped just a bit and needs a little trimming).
    I just had too post cause ........................IT WORKED!! I'm stoked!!!!! I drove a bit around town till she got up to about 190* and the fans came on. I hit the highway and drove about 4 miles to the neighboring town, which before would have got it up to 220* but, this time she hung right on 180*. Perfect, there and back.
    Now, it is cold here right now, so I can not say with absolute certainty that it will cool in the summer as well but, it did not get hot where as it did before. Plus, the top of the, un-insulated, dog house did not even get warm. My side of the dog house got a little warm but nothing to speak of. Any sort of insulation would have kept what little heat there was, out. I may even re-think the 3 way switch thing. (???)
    Here it is mounted but it is a little crooked.

radiator - Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.  Dsc00819

radiator - Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.  Dsc00820

radiator - Custom belly pan and radiator guard - pictures for you.  Dsc00821

There ya go. I think it is going to work out well. If I come across any issues, I'll post.
    Later............
    Chaz
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:15 pm

Good deal ! Looks cool also !
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:58 pm

Like a little bit lambo under the rig
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Gotta love successful experiments! cheers
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:49 pm

Way to go!

vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:26 pm

It looks Awesome, Chaz! Glad to hear it worked for you...MacGyver!!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    redvango
    redvango

Number of posts : 115
    Registration date : 2015-06-27

Post by redvango Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:04 am

Thanks that pretty much what i did and i put a small honda radiator with an fan under the side doors so when it would get over 180 temp i turn the fan on! I wanted to copy a stock belly pan to see Gm did? van on hot days at 70 mph run a little warmer!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:05 am