VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
busman78
jrdunn96
CJ66
7 posters

My first A100, technically my first anything

CJ66
    CJ66

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2017-01-05

My first A100, technically my first anything Empty My first A100, technically my first anything

Post by CJ66 Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:00 am

My first A100, technically my first anything Vanarr14
    My first A100, technically my first anything Img_3512
    Arrival day December 24th and a Christmas present from my Dad is here, my Mom wanted a toyota or something. We have been to shows and looked for a van and it is finally mine. Since I got it I had to change the water pump. alternator, & distributor with my G-pa who is in the photograph.  Here is where I am having a problem. I am at top dead center but I can not get it to run for more that 10 seconds. It has and electric fuel pump but now I am thinking it may be the carb. I found a rebuilding kit from Mikes carbs and a how to video. Any other ideas?

I have been monitoring this site for six months or so and have developed my game plan from the threads. Thanks for any advice.CJ
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

My first A100, technically my first anything Empty Re: My first A100, technically my first anything

Post by jrdunn96 Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:31 am

Welcome to Vintage Vans!
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

My first A100, technically my first anything Empty Re: My first A100, technically my first anything

Post by busman78 Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:05 am

First take the fuel hose off the carb, stick it into a can, even better would be a quart or larger pyrex measuring bowl, turn the electric pump on, let it run for for 15 seconds, does it pump at all, is there enough fuel flowing?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:18 am

,,,,can you keep it running by squirting carburetor cleaner down the carb?
    CJ66
    CJ66

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2017-01-05

Post by CJ66 Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:16 pm

Update: I did as you guys suggested and it worked. I had a gut feeling and decided to replace the old distributor. Now the reason my G-pa suggested replacing it was that there was vertical play in the shaft. When I replaced the old one she fired up straight away!!

I got the dist from autozone and I will have them replace it I guess.
    gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Post by gary h Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Welcome to the Site!
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:37 am

Welcome ! Sweet window van you have.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:45 am

Glad to hear you have been researching for a while!
    Suggestions for reviving the van, since it was towed I assume it wasn't a driver when gifted...

Lubricate everything! I you have a manual, it's all laid out in there. If not, grab a grease gun, wire brush and a few rags and go underneath and hit every zerk fitting you can find. These include manual shifter through the grille, pedal pivots, steering linkage, U-joints. Find some rubber lube for spring bushings. Silicone spray for window rubber (and glass cleaner for after!) Don't forget wiper refills (not full black plastic blades) if it's still rainy like the first picture.
    White grease or PB Blaster for door latches, handles and hinges, window regulators, vent window pivots, seat tracks and pins, nuts and bolts you plan on removing. Also shifter cable or shift linkage and E brake handle, wheel, cable and pivot.
    Graphite for locks, NOT oil-based spray.
    Then replace fluids as you can find the time and money - brake fluid, coolant, oil, transmission, diff. Adjust the brakes and parking brake too.
    Clean battery cable ends and ground connections, along with ammeter connections and fuse clips. Check all light bulbs.

Doing this will help you get to know the van better and make it wake up smoother.

Some glass cleaner followed by chrome polish on a rag (or "00" steel wool for rust spots) will get those Cragar SS's nice again. Make sure the lug nuts are tight before your first drive! Are they still left side left-hand thread?
    It's a good idea to have one battery terminal loose enough to be removed in case of fire at first, and bring an extinguisher along.
    Looks like a great start, a Custom Sportsman with most of the trim still there. Is it a /6 or V8, auto or manual? What year (guessing 1967-68)?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:18 pm