VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
samsvan
jrdunn96
Vanish
uante
OutofSight
Bruce67Econoline
Seth G
dogsbody
dix
GMman
vanny
15 posters

Close call but just glad to be alive!!!

vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Close call but just glad to be alive!!! Empty Close call but just glad to be alive!!!

Post by vanny Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:29 am

Near the end of my workday today, I was in my 2011 Ford Ranger(daily driver) and a Honda Civic came barreling at me head on in my lane...I hesitated for a second to see if he would swerve back into his own lane but he didn't even slow down. I swerved left to hopefully avoid a head-on collision and he smacked my passengers side and sent me into a 360...I got out of my truck and a witness came over and asked me if I was OK. I said yes and we went over to the driver's car to see if he was OK.

As we got close, we could hear him trying to start his car but his passenger airbags were blown up and his wheel was in the middle of the road so he wouldn't have gotten far anyway. Another witness came up to me and said that same guy passed him and five other cars further down the road at about 80mph (speed limit on this road is 40 tops). I'm OK but was shaky for about a half-an-hour later. Here's my poor Ranger  affraid  

Close call but just glad to be alive!!! Img_0111

Close call but just glad to be alive!!! Img_0112

Close call but just glad to be alive!!! Img_0113

Close call but just glad to be alive!!! Img_0114

Somebody was watching out for me today!
    Amen

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    GMman
    GMman

Number of posts : 798
    Registration date : 2014-10-14

Close call but just glad to be alive!!! Empty Re: Close call but just glad to be alive!!!

Post by GMman Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm glad your OK. I hope they threw the other nut in jail.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Close call but just glad to be alive!!! Empty Re: Close call but just glad to be alive!!!

Post by dix Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:38 pm

glad to hear you are in a walk away condition,

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2016-12-13

Post by dogsbody Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:51 pm

Scary!
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Whoa Vanny. Glad you're OK. Some people...
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:55 pm

Glad you are all right brother.
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Close call, glad you are not hurt.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Thanks guys, might be a little sore tomorrow morning...

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Definitely scary! Glad you didn't get badly hurt! Heck of a way to start a new year.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:11 pm

REAL GLAD YOUR OK PAUL !!!!! Hope the Honda person went to Jail !!!! Pisses me off when they think there gonna Drive away from an accident .... with no reguard for what they have caused !!!!

jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Glad you're OK!!
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:26 am

The Police Chief was there and told me he couldn't lock the guy up because he had his license and registration but that from the scene and witnesses, they were going to charge him with driving to endanger, speeding and crossing over a double yellow line. I was just happy to be able to walk away from it...

GMman
    GMman

Post by GMman Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:18 am

It really sucks when people dont know how to drive. I hope the other guy had good car insurance to replace your Ranger. That looked like a nice little pickup.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Talked to the Officer today and found out that they revoked his license because he was an immediate threat. They found pills on the floor of his car. Gave the insurance info to my agent and hoping to be able to replace my truck. I miss it already... Also found out it was the first accident of the New Year for that town. I kept waiting for someone to throw confetti and tell me I would get a brand new truck or something... What a Face Also found out that one of the witnesses was a Town EMT who actually was the first person to call it in so that helped too!

samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:44 pm

I feel for you brother! I just got my Dailey driver out of the body shop. Nothing as exciting as your deal though. Glad you're ok.
    Vannin Ken
    Vannin Ken

Number of posts : 292
    Registration date : 2012-12-29

Post by Vannin Ken Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:18 am

Wow! that was a close one Paul, Glad your Ok. Dont mind me i still lurk this site quite often. Ken
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:48 am

Great to know you're still checking in Ken! Maybe someday, you'll find another van to rescue...we hope!!! Very Happy

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:40 am

Glad your ok Paul !!! Just drove to Florida, I-75 looked more like a NASCAR race. Can't believe the way some of them drive, 80 plus mph and less than a car length between.

GMman
    GMman

Post by GMman Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:33 am

vanny wrote:Talked to the Officer today and found out that they revoked his license because he was an immediate threat. They found pills on the floor of his car. Gave the insurance info to my agent and hoping to be able to replace my truck. I miss it already... Also found out it was the first accident of the New Year for that town. I kept waiting for someone to throw confetti and tell me I would get a brand new truck or something... What a Face Also found out that one of the witnesses was a Town EMT who actually was the first person to call it in so that helped too!

Your going to get a new truck!
    Close call but just glad to be alive!!! Confet10
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:57 am

Thanks GMman! You made my day!!! I just found out that he reported to his insurance company that he hit a patch of ice and went into a guardrail with no one else involved...Oh, and he is not the registered owner so their insurance company is investigating to see if he even qualifies as a driver on that policy...Drama!

Good thing it was a busy road and witnesses who were willing to come forward! Worst part is having to wait until the insurance companies and police departments share all the information.

AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:57 pm

Insurance companies insure THE CAR and are responsible for damage done by THAT CAR regardless of who is driving..... You are entitled to a rental car from the date of the accident until the day you settle...They will try to stall getting you a rental car or just say no because you are not likely to pursue re-imbursement for your loss of transportation after the fact. Also, once they rent you a car it is a daily expense for them that puts a daily cost on stalling a settlement, and they don't like tthat because stalling is one of their favorite tactics......INSIST ON A RENTAL CAR IMMEDIATELY and if they don't set you up, tell them that you are going to rent one at full retail and they are going to pay for it.... THEN GO DO IT!
    If you do or say anything that makes you sound like a reasonable and sane person that is the slightest bit iffy about "fault", they will take advantage of you. Taking charge of the narrative and discussing it passionately is your most likely path to being treated fairly....
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks Don, the police report has finally arrived today so I am going to call them tomorrow and get this moving now that I have proof that the driver was lying to them.

AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Another issue you should be aware of... TOWING AND STORAGE....works against an insurance company that is stalling because per-day storage cuts into the amount they expect to get for the salvage..... It also works against you if you leave the vehicle with the towing company because it's a bill that the insurance company leaves you stuck with if they don't settle and that bill can get to be more than the leftovers are worth..... Best to pay off the towing company quickly and move it to a buddy's body shop that will charge the insurance per-day storage until they authorize repairs or pay up and remove the salvage after settling with you..... Everything will move more quickly if there is a per-day cost to them for stalling.....
    Get in the mental frame of mind that the owner of that car is 100% liable for the accident and his insurance company is contractually obligated to pay up.. The accident is 100% indefensible, yet an insurance company will use every trick in the book to spin it otherwise and try to settle at a discounted wholesale rate....
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:47 pm

Once the insurance company cut the check, I went back to the dealership where I bought the Ranger and they had another one that was one year older but had less mileage than mine. When I looked at it, I noticed discoloration on the passenger's side and when I felt it, there was some rust bubbles...I didn't want to have to deal with that so I asked them what else they had available with 4WD or AWD because I use my car to drive places for work. I ended up buying a 2012 Ford Edge with only 31,000 miles on it. I'm cruising in style now with leather interior, heated seats, panoramic sun roof, voice command navigation, Bluetooth, rear cameras for backing and blind spot indicators when someone's passing you... I guess I might have grown up? A little at least. It's a nice daily driver and would be great for a road trip. Here's a pic and the color is called Ginger Ale!

Close call but just glad to be alive!!! Img_0117

Close call but just glad to be alive!!! Img_0116

Close call but just glad to be alive!!! Img_0115

uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Pretty Cool! Sounds like it's loaded with comforts too! cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:30 am