VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Belly pan necessary?

No1rascal
    No1rascal

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2013-02-19

Belly pan necessary? Empty Belly pan necessary?

Post by No1rascal Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:09 pm

Just picked up my 1st Econoline van, its a 64 Falcon window van. Been sitting for a while & of course needs attention, but my question is how important r the belly pans on these vans? I know earlies run hot in general, but does a belly pan on an econ make a big difference in keeping them running cool?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks very much.
    Scott
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Belly pan necessary? Empty Re: Belly pan necessary?

Post by vanny Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:28 pm

The belly pan helps with keeping the engine cool when driving. It circulates the air coming thru the front of the van thru the radiator and doghouse. I think there is more of an issue with heat when stuck in traffic or idling but if you can get a belly pan, I would put one in. Definitely won't hurt to have it there. JMO Very Happy

Scott, did you buy the one in New Jersey? I spoke with the owner thru emails about it. Seems like a good project. Looked to be in pretty good shape except for the little bit of rust on the rockers but they have panels available for those, I think.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    No1rascal
    No1rascal

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2013-02-19

Post by No1rascal Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.  Trying to keep this a low budget driver build, and it seems a belly pan aint cheap which is why I asked about it.  I know on the G vans they r more there for highway driving, forcing the air into the doghouse with louvers.  

I came across this 1 at a local car show on Sat.  Its rough, hasnt been on the road for years, but runs & almost drives, lol.  Gonna do what it needs 4 now & decide to keep or sell in the spring.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:53 am

I believe the belly pan helps when both driving and while stopped.

Without the belly pan the hot air coming out of the radiator can go under the radiator and right back through the radiator.

With the belly pan, the hot air coming out of the radiator has to travel much father to get back into the front of radiator, and by then it has mingled with the cooler air.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Barnabas wrote:I believe the belly pan helps when both driving and while stopped.  

Without the belly pan the hot air coming out of the radiator can go under the radiator and right back through the radiator.  

With the belly pan, the hot air coming out of the radiator has to travel much father to get back into the front of radiator, and by then it has mingled with the cooler air.

Agreed, belly pans are needed all the time, especially at slow speeds.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:21 pm