VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Heat/Vent/Defroster Controls

K-Noods68
    K-Noods68

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2014-05-22

Heat/Vent/Defroster Controls Empty Heat/Vent/Defroster Controls

Post by K-Noods68 Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:56 pm

The controls on my 68 are pretty stuck in place. The defroster is the only one that will move, but with some effort on my part.

I figure I will try to treat them with a good amount of WD40 to see if that will get them moving again.

Also, I was figuring just replacing them altogether.

I think I remember reading somewhere before that the cables and control from the early Nova are interchangeable with the 2nd Gen vans.

Am I right?
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Heat/Vent/Defroster Controls Empty Re: Heat/Vent/Defroster Controls

Post by AzDon Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:51 pm

What have you got? Mine is two pull cable knobs and a switch knob on the steering column support.... This is the only setup I've seen on one of these vans......Yes, the cables get stiff and bind, but factory cables are worth working with lubricants to get free.... the outer cable housing is a continuous spiral winding of spring steel wire that is over double the thickness of the spiral wire on aftermarket cables, so they don't stretch like cheap cable do when you push the knob in.... you can lube along the entire outside length of the cable with wd-40, making space between the spiral by bending it..... If you have one of the GM control panels with slide levers that operate the cables, the levers are VERY EASY to break if force must be used on them because they are typically made from cheap pot-metal.....LMC sells replacement levers if the panel is the same as a pickup, but they are expensive.....
    K-Noods68
    K-Noods68

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2014-05-22

Post by K-Noods68 Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:18 pm

This is what I'm working with. Needs some cleaning as well.Heat/Vent/Defroster Controls Img_2211
    Heat/Vent/Defroster Controls Img_2212
    KISSfan
    KISSfan

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2016-08-23

Post by KISSfan Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:47 pm

Looks like mine! My 67 doesn't operate too good either, but I've only had it for 2 weeks.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:35 am

I think I have a set of good working cables, do you want me to check on them?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:13 pm