VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Why Not Post Real Price

Why Not Post Real Price Empty Why Not Post Real Price

Post by Guest Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:57 pm

Something I have found on ebay is something I don't really understand. Mainly don't understand the strategy behind this action. Could someone explain it to me.

Just curious about possible motives or mindsets.

Here is the question. Selling something, with a reserve, YET, not stating the reserve price and yet, when it sells, post sold across the picture, then stating that it did NOT sell, because reserve wasn't met. huh????

The reason I ask is because I have place a few bids on such items, and prior to placing a bid, wrote the seller to find out the reserve. I wanted to find out the "freaking real sell price without playing games". Yet no return on reserve price was stated.

To me it only takes away from the sellers credibility when hiding the reserve because it leads me (in particular), NOT place any bids.

This, because even if you bid, your bid isn't going to be accepted (if your the winning bid). Which in the end, is just a waste of time even placing a bit etc..

Again, just attempting to find out about the mindset in NOT stating reserve price, right from the start.

And please leave out that the seller might be hoping to get more than the reserve. I understand that part. But if you turn off more "buyers" from being sneaky, and hiding the "real price", then doesn't that cut the amount of bidders that might be interested in your vehicle in the first place?

Thank you.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Why Not Post Real Price Empty Re: Why Not Post Real Price

Post by vanny Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:23 pm

The majority of the sellers place a Buy it now price but yes, some play games to get an idea of what they might be able to get. Testing the market at the buyers emotional expense. Not a good idea if they're really trying to sell. There are way too many flaky people out there who play these games. JMO

Sometimes people on this site sell their vans or know someone trustworthy that's selling one. As a matter of fact , savage has a trio of vans for sale because he doesn't have winter storage for them. Worth checking out.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:28 pm

Most van shows will have a few for sale and you can check them out in person right there. Might be something to consider if you're near any of the shows.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    QCT
    QCT

Number of posts : 559
    Registration date : 2015-01-01

Post by QCT Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:59 pm

While I feel your pain and also think the reserve game is a pain, that's just how auctions work. Estate auctions, classic car auctions etc. Vanny is right on that sometimes people play games just to "test the waters" and aren't actual serious sellers.. That may be the non-sense you are running into on eBay. Any of the vans I have sold on eBay I would never disclose the reserve price if asked, however i'd always offer a "buy it now" in the listing. I'd also state in the listings i'm open to reasonable offers. Cutting to the chase and not wasting others time I find works best. As far as parts I almost always list with a "buy it now" and "best offer" option vs auction style. eBay/PayPal are a HUUUUUUGE pain in the a** for sellers however they are probably one of the best ways to sell anything.. Unfortunately not every one of our fellow van owners is on the forum.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:02 pm

I usually sell my vehicles on eBay, because it is reliable and I know it works.  When I sell on eBay, I run a real auction, starting at a very low starting price with no reserve.  
    It takes alot of balls to sell like this, because of course you have no idea what the final price will be.  You have to be willing to take whatever the end price is, and just trust that the van will sell for the actual market value.  I add plenty of photos that show everything, and then full description with everything that is good and bad about the vehicle.  The past several vehicles I have sold on eBay, I have been pleasantly surprised at the final bid.

I honestly do not understand the strategy behind not disclosing the price either. I guess it usually is a lesson in psychology. Or usually I imagine the seller figures he will be tricky and receive more bids by being deceptive rather than simply disclosing what he really wants for the van. In my experience, it does not work like that, and that technique is not the way to get top dollar on eBay.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 2:54 pm