VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Slant 6 on stand

docmcg
    docmcg

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Slant 6 on stand Empty Slant 6 on stand

Post by docmcg Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:28 pm

I just pulled the engine/trans from my truck. Stuck the motor on a stand, but don't think I have it centered right. Very hard to rotate motor. Can someone give me any help finding center of motor so it's easy to spin on the stand.
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2011-04-02

Slant 6 on stand Empty Re: Slant 6 on stand

Post by 66e100pu Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:57 am

docmcg wrote:I just pulled the engine/trans from my truck. Stuck the motor on a stand, but don't think I have it centered right. Very hard to rotate motor. Can someone give me any help finding center of motor so it's easy to spin on the stand.

Unless you have a very expensive stand equipped with head bearings and a gear driven rotator, this is unfortunately how most of them are. Making sure the head is thoroughly lubed with wheel bearing grease helps, but the easiest way to rotate the engine is to use the cherry picker to either take the loading off the front of the engine, or use it to actually assist in the rotation. Once the head and all the ancillary stuff is off the basic block is easier to turn once the weight is reduced.

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:44 pm