VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
sasktrini
wacko
6 posters

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota Empty Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2009 4:43 pm

I have posted a few questions already over the past couple weeks asking questions regarding my possible purchase of a 1966 Chevy G10.

So... I got it.

Flew down to South Dakota from Toronto, Canada. Saw it, and bought it on the spot. I then drove it back to Toronto - with all the stops for gas and food and a 3 hour sleep at one stop, and a huge delay at the border, (thats another story) I wound up getting home 22 hours after I left. These are the things I thought about during that drive, (with no radio).

The engine was 'ok' as per the previous owner, but it was old and had only a few minor repairs done to it, so any major problems that might happen, wouldn't necessarily not happen. They just hadn't happened yet. The head gasket was new, but there's this other gasket below that, (between the engine and the oil pan), that was instantly leaking. I wound up putting about 8 to 10 quarts of oil in during the drive back. Ok, if that's the worst of it, fine. Clutch seemed good, lights worked, should be ok.

Then I started thinking about the drivers position, (instant death in a head on). That combined with the obvious softness of the front tires. They were old. The previous owner said "they're ok?", with no real conviction. I wondered how the steering would react to a front tire blow. There's a lot of weight up front, (engine, and driver). Seem's a front blow would be followed by a very difficult pull. So I had that on my mind, especially when I was on a two direction highway with on coming trucks sometimes almost perfectly timed to pass me in the other direction seconds after I would hit a big pot hole with my front tires.

So after hours and hours of that, and crossing the border, I finish my marathon drive in the dark, in the rain along some of the worst pot hole highways yet, and to top it off, its like all the trucks decided to come out all at once in that last stretch.

I was screaming along seemingly at 160km's, (whats that... around 100 mph), but the fact is, the engine is so loud, the body interior rattles so much, and the alignment was out a bit to add to the vibrations, that grandma speed was a thrilling and riveting experience. I'd say I was the Pass'er about 2% of the time, and 98% pass'ee, (humbling when your passed by middle aged women in a tercel).

Anyways, that's my story. And I own this van now. So my mission is to convert it into a better ride. Along the way I changed my priorities drastically. I am focused on the engine, suspension, wheels, and dash elements first, then I"m going to do my utmost to insulate and gasket every potential rattle and sound leak. Only then will I play around with the exterior beauty factor. That may be the reverse of how a lot of kids do it, but I don't know if I would enjoy this van if it looked way better but still drove and sounded like it does.

Eh! what a you gonna do!.

Cheers,

Heavy
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota Empty Re: Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota

Post by wacko Thu May 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Congrats and looking forward to some pictures.

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota Empty Re: Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2009 5:10 pm

i'm happy for you! at least you've got what you want. and no vehicle has ever motivated me to improve it like my van. perhaps you're the same way!

we're all antsy for pictures already!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067

Post by sasktrini Thu May 07, 2009 5:22 pm

great story! What's with you guys from Ontario driving vans home from the other side of the continent? Either you're committed, or you oughta be! Laughing

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2009 5:32 pm

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota Van211

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota Van310

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota Van411

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota Van510

These are the pics. They are from a South Dakota Craigslist ad that was linked to on this site from the G's for sale forum.

I hope i did the image thing correct.

Heavy

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2009 5:39 pm

It show's well from the picures, but its a bit of a different story in person. The body work done prior to the paint job was done by a father and son, (one teaching the other). The lines reveal a bit of a fast and dirty job.

The roof is a wavy mess, like some teenagers had a good old time jumping on it for one drunken evening.

The actual paint job was a quick mask job and there are a few over spray spots the support that, although the previous owner wasn't trying to conceal that, (very forthcoming with full disclosure). Things like the stuff behind the front grill, are completely oversprayed with white as opposed to a black to make it all disappear.

The interior was painted black, but it was done with can's of Tremclad and I can scratch it off with my finger nail, (especially off the dog house as the paint was definitely not a high heat paint.

So they made a few bucks for their efforts but most of it I will have to do over eventually, but that's how it goes with these van's. Not many out there so you take what you can get.

Cheers,

Heavy

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2009 5:41 pm

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota Van_se10

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota Van_da10

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota Van_do10

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota Van_en10

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2009 5:56 pm

Oh ya, couple other highlights of the drive back.

I left my 'original' gas cap on a gas pump somewhere in the middle of the night,

Trying to adjust the passenger side mirror, i broke it,

At some point during the drive the lid from my air filter came unscrewed, (probably from the crazy vibration), and it must have fallen through the dog house onto the road - gone forever,

And until I could confidently find 1st gear, I started out from 2nd a bunch of times. Painful clutch abuse.

Heavy
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu May 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Well Heavy,
    She looks good and glad you mad is ok, it's ok to get passed in these at first.. Of course there's a middle aged women in a tercel talkin smack about how she was racing a guy in a van and kicked his butt! But that's her story. As you go through the van you'll find everything that needs to be addressed and you'll fix them we all do and are still doing. OIl pan seals are easy and you can get another air cleaner. I'm just glad to hear the trip went well (even without a radio).

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks Dan,

I had my Iphone with a bunch of music on it, so I caved at one point at a truck stop and bought a $14 double speaker set for CB radios, that had an 1/8" plug for my phone, but on its loudest setting, I couldn't hear squat. I even put the speakers under my collar on my shoulder but that was lame so I gave up. This beast is loud.

I mean with the alignment out and the general looseness, it was like sitting in a tin pinata at a Mexican boy scouts conference.

Heavy

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2009 6:45 pm

It sounds like your trip got rough at times, but I think it was worth it and im sure you do too. It looks like you got a really cool van and I look foward to seeing what you do with it!!!

-Ryan

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2009 6:47 pm

Glad to see you made it home.......thats over half the battle sometimes! Ester didnt make it but 46 miles from purchase point then got towed the rest.

Nice van.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Thu May 07, 2009 7:30 pm

looks like a nice start.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu May 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Like any new horse your ride gave you the knowledge to what needs to be addressed first. It's got you home. The fun starts now
    billski
    billski

Number of posts : 262

Post by billski Fri May 08, 2009 12:53 pm

Heavy, Welcome and nice van, eh! Glad you made it home ok. Look forward to seeing pics of the progress. Get it road ready for the Baker's eVANt in June! Not too far from you considering the road trip to get your van home.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri May 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Heavy Pants, be sure you wouldn't be the only one to make the Trek from Canada. Would love to see your van in person. You can get alot of van ideas seeing that many early's all in one place.

Post by Guest Mon May 18, 2009 9:42 pm

Hey,

Here it is with your rims Bill.

Just got the new 66 G10 back from South Dakota Scooby11

BTW, I put 275 60 R15's in the back and as it turns out, 255 60 R15's fit on the front without modifying the fenders, (ridiculously close though).

Cheers,

Heavy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:43 am