VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Hey PolarBear

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Hey PolarBear Empty Hey PolarBear

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:04 pm

Vanagain can use your 3:36 and you might be able to use his 3:73. But we might have another one for you,,,,I took the rear end out of the CrashVan, and it was a 12 bolt, which probably means its a 3:73 or 4:11. I did not open it up and left it at Vanishes' place. So it still might be up there. Vanish could open it up and see what kind of gears are in it or at least see what the inside looks like.
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Number of posts : 183
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Hey PolarBear Empty Re: Hey PolarBear

Post by PolarBear2 Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:33 am

Hmmm...

I understand there may be/are differences between 1st & 2nd Gen rear spring pad locations......or something to that effect? Is the Anza rear end from a 2nd Gen? Why would a 2nd Gen fit a 1st but not the other way around? I would be interested in the CrashVan rear end if it's in good shape as far as not being bent and has a good ring & pinion set. I'll be glad to make a trip to Vanish's place to check it out.

On another note......

Doug and I had a great trip over to Havasu yesterday to pick up the `79 donor van for his `72 G20 . My rebuilt trailer worked great! cheers
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:56 am

They don't fit,,,Check out the spacing on your 2nd Gen centering pins ,,,,,the 1st Gens measure 47 1/4" from the centers of the centering pins across the top of the differential. What is yours? I think the perches need to be cut off and moved over so the springs will line up. And,,,,,,,VANISH,,,,,,is that rear end still there???????
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Post by PolarBear2 Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:04 am

Thanks for the skool'n!

I take it the CrashVan was a 2nd Gen?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:00 am

Nope,,,,,CrashVan was a 1st Gen,,,,,I just brought up that rear end because you are looking for a 3:73 or 4:11 and It was just sitting there when I left. I am pretty sure the rear spring perches are not in the same position on the 1st and 2nd Gens,,,,,I know the 1st Gen springs are 47 1/4" on center and I would like to know what are the 2nd Gens? Its just an option for you ,,,,it would be easier if you got a 2nd Gen rear end,,,,,but we like to use what we got if we can......
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Post by PolarBear2 Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:09 pm

It would be tough to get a good measurment right now by myself with the Van all together sitting on the ground.

I'll just stick to my plan and get a 9" from Currie unless a 12 bolt from a 2nd Gen shows up.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:15 pm

How about just try and measure from center to center of the rear springs or even from the shackles to see what we got or just from the outsides and I can compare it to mine to see how these rear ends match up.....
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Post by PolarBear2 Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:32 pm

OK.... I measured from center to center (as best I could) of the leaf springs right behind the perches/shocks and got 48". Might have 1/4"-1/2" margin of error, so there can't be too much difference between 1st & 2nd Gens. They may even be the same??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:39 pm

Someone with a 2nd Gen rear end out needs to measure it. All I have ever heard is that they are not the same and need to be moved on the rear end so that the spring centering bolt would drop into the perch. So we need someone who knows or has a 2nd Gen rear end to measure one.,

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:54 pm

the problem i had when i needed a rear for my 67
    i had a 66 rear, it would have bolted but the springs are narrower in a 1st gen
    so proper perch position would have to be done
    i just took the guts out of the 1st gen and stuffed em in my 2nd gen rear
    of course it should have been set up "proper" but i just dropped it in
    then tromped it for a few thousand trouble free miles.. only a slight groan about 15-20 mph
    i got lucky doing that,,, it SHOULD have popped on the first highway ride
    -i would see a gear supplier like richmond, or randy's ring gear
    (wookie may have the number or website,he got his gears there)
    then you can get the gears you want to have and have it set up proper in your old housing IMO thats the best route for ya
    www.car-part.com could list a possible available rear.. never know till ya check, listings change by the minute there
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:19 pm

Hey LeadFoot, were you going from a 10 bolt to a 10 bolt or a 12 to 12? I think PolarBear got a 10 bolt and the 1st Gen 3:73 and 4:11 are 12 bolts,,,,and the ring gears are different sizes and so are the axles,,,so I don't know that a 12 bolt gear set will fit a 10 bolt differential.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:42 pm

10 bolt one leggers
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:54 pm

So we will have to put that "Will a 12 bolt ring and pinion fit into a 10 bolt housing or vice versa?" into our list of parts interchange mystery book,,,,,to be solved later......

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:12 pm

maybe run the part numbers of the same part for both applications would tell?
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:35 am

PolarBear2 wrote:Hmmm...

I understand there may be/are differences between 1st & 2nd Gen rear spring pad locations......or something to that effect? Is the Anza rear end from a 2nd Gen? Why would a 2nd Gen fit a 1st but not the other way around? I would be interested in the CrashVan rear end if it's in good shape as far as not being bent and has a good ring & pinion set. I'll be glad to make a trip to Vanish's place to check it out.

On another note......

Doug and I had a great trip over to Havasu yesterday to pick up the `79 donor van for his `72 G20 . My rebuilt trailer worked great! cheers
    Mark I am Glad to Hear that every thing went well on the trip !!!!!! I bet it was HOT THERE !!!!!! Did you ever check on that van you were telling me about ?????????

PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Post by PolarBear2 Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:18 am

No I haven't checked on the 2nd Gen in town yet. We are in Oklahoma right now and will be back Tues. night. I'll call that guy Wed.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:08 am

We were at Pick A Part today and found a 67,,,,,,I measured the rear spring perches,,,,,48 1/4" which makes the 2nd Gen springs mount an inch wider than a 1st Gen,,,,,

Hey PolarBear Chevy_20
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046

Post by VANagain Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:32 pm

Once again, a fun time was had by all at the local Pick A Part! Don and I hung out with Harry, as we removed some good stuff off that 2nd Gen. Meeting Harry at the junkyard gave me deja vu, reminding me of when I met Joe (64chevy) with Don working on a very similar 2nd Gen at the same place! I guess that's where all the cool folks hang out! I gotta say, it's a nice way to spend an afternoon! Very Happy
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Post by PolarBear2 Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:14 am

I knew my measurement of 48" was close.

48.25", that's good to know. Too bad the available 1st Gen rears won't fit. Sad

On the other hand, the rest of PolarBear2's drivetrain will be brand new so the new Currie 9" will complete the package and already have rear disc brakes. Just need to get it lifted and find the new pinion angle.

PB2

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 10:42 am