VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info

Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info Empty Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info

Post by Seth G Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi, I'm gathering information on the different rear parking brake setup's for our Econolines. I welcome anyone who has information on the rear cable setup on your van to chime in. Hopefully we can document how many variations to the setup there are.

I bought a 9" rear end from a '65 Falcon Van. It came with the drums and the brake cables still attached. I have a '64 which came with the small rear end. Below are pictures of the differences to these two cables. I don't think having the 9" vs the 7.5" rear end makes any difference, but more the year of the van. I could be wrong but the my original '64 cable fits both rears.

The '64 and '65 cables are the same overall length. The brake end on both cables are identical. On the forward end, the '65 cable jacket is 5" longer.

The '65 cable is on top.

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info VQPXk1

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info Iw02vJ

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info 67GJKn

Here they are mounted to the van. You can see that the '65 cable is to short b/c of the extra jacket length. Also you can see the cable brackets and the mechanism that connects them to the forward cable on my '64.

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info C2ujo4

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info YqARVs

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info MNbyuM

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the '65 system. But I have a friend who has a Heavy Duty '65 8 door that I need to look at anyway for another reason and I will snap a pic of it soon.

Duane posted this in another thread the other day. I'm placing it here for reference. Don't know exactly what years this is from.

econopoor wrote:The early Econolines had a one piece rear E brake cable. It loops from backing plate to backing plate with a small saddle to pull it.

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info IMG_20160131_1039403981-vi

You can update it to the latter more common dual cable setup but you will need to weld the cable brackets to the frame. They are different than the early bracket. As far as I know nobody is making the early setup.

Duane.

If I can work out a descent price I will be having new cables made for my '64. If/when I send one of my '64 cables in for reference I will also send on of the '65 cable so they will have the reference for it as well.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info Empty Re: Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info

Post by econopoor Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:04 pm

You are connecting the cables to the wrong bracket. The 65 bracket is very different than those. The picture I posted that you referred to is from the 61 manual. It has brackets like the ones in your truck. They changed this in 65 to a one piece bracket. I tried to post a picture of this bracket on here but the way this site chops off the picture it wasn't doing any good. It cut the above picture in half and that was the part that was important. Same thing here. I tried but to no avail it still cuts the picture. I've resized both and this still is my problem so I'm pretty much done with posting pics here if they just get cropped. No point. But anyway. You are trying to use cables designed to work with a different bracket. Either get the correct one piece cable or the correct bracket.

Duane.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info Empty Re: Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info

Post by Seth G Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:36 pm

Thanks Duane. Everything on my 64 assembly is the same as your 61 manual except for the frame mount for the equalizer lever and the equalizer itself. When did they go from that to what I have?  And yes, I'm aware that the brackets are different after 64. They have to be Wink. That's why I posted that. I'll have a pic of the 65 setup tomorrow.

So it seems there are 3 different cable types. And the first type used a single rear cable??? Then dual cables, then a change in the brackets going to a single bracket and adding 5 inches to the cable jacket but leaving the cable itself the same length.

Anyone with a 61, 62 and 63 want to post a pic of there rear parking brake cable system?
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:09 pm

The pics have to be 640x480 Duane. It's a pain in the ass, they should be at least 1024x768. We lose alot of detail at that low res. Schematics and printed stuff get's real blurry which kind of defeats the purpose when you're posting detailed drawings with text

Here's the 65-67 setup. The equalizer setup is the same as 64, the brackets are different. Looks like I had my equalizer upside down in the pics above (I couldn't remember which way it went) but other wise they are the same. Ford went to a more complicated single bracket setup w/ 1-hole strap hangers on either side.

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info EImZ7U

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info GBA5r6

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info 0MdBkQ

Rear Parking Brake Cable Reference Info BYukRc

I need pictures or info from 61,2, & 3's to see what the earlier setup was or more importantly if they are all the same from 61-64. I want to know b/c I'd like to be able to tell the mfr the year span for the early cables when I send mine and the 65-67 cables in to be made....   well, spec'd for the 65-67.

If there's a 3rd cable I'd like to send it as well.

To be clear, no one makes either cable. No point in changing brackets; the equalizer yes, if the book is true. But easily fabbed as it's just that bent sheet metal bit with the slots and the holes Wink and a threaded pc of round rod with a crook in the end
    vkarppinen
    vkarppinen

Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2015-08-28

Post by vkarppinen Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:10 pm

my 66 has the same set up, except I am missing that u shaped piece that connects the cables together
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:33 pm

Thanks for the info vk. I think you could make that piece easy enough. If you need any help or info on it let me know

I've called, v msg'd and emailed for a quote on the cables from mdm/bruin cables and am yet to be phoned or even emailed back again....  I'll try and call again tomorrow on a different line of theirs or reply to the original quote from a couple months back

From what I can tell there are 2 or 3 types. 6?-64 and 65-67.

What I'd like to know is what the brakes on a 61-63 look like. Were the 61 cable(s) a one off? 61-62? 61-63? Are 61-64 the same? etc

When I send mine in I'd like to be able to say these are 61-64 and 65-67 respectfully or whatever they are, so that they are correctly listed and available for everyone from Bruin or whoever is willing to make them in the future

I think it's clear the 65-67 are same now

I'll keep beating this drum...

like Guy Clark says, always trust yer cape Wink
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:39 pm

Just an update here to let you know when I say I'm doing something, I do it. Or I'll damn sure try and I'll let you know anyhow

I called "Bruin" back a couple months and talked to the engineer. Never got the owner, but at any rate, they up'd the quote to ~$160 lol. So I offered $50 and the patterns for both of the early cable sets(just a bit less than the $ quote 4 weeks prior with no offer), and mentioned the last price. The owner never got the msg or balked b/c I never heard back. So I'm using my oem set. Everybody's got to make a living and so do I. And judging by the input on this thread maybe they're right, there's no demand...not that they said that.

So I'll wait until some sucker buys a set and then they'll be $50-60 Cool and if not, whatever. I'm going to have an a/t. I'd go w/o or make/rebuild my own at twice the cost before paying them at this point. Morons imo. I can't, nay won't, knowingly do business with halfwits or douchebags if they can't bargain. I bid them good luck

Anyone who would post their visit to Iowa to get a glimpse of Trump on their company website... I could get political here but I won't. If you can't figure out why the jobs are gone and are looking for an option in a dipshit like that, you're a moron too. And probably a little baby greedy f*ck who's just a symptom of the disease of greed that plagues this nation. Gather em up and shoot em for all I care. Not worth the air they breath, the greedy f*cks. I'm not going to get political though lol

But growing up in Indiana I did watch as factory after factory shut down. Including my fathers a few years before his retirement as an industrial engineer. I was the youngest of 4 and that's really why I didn't go to college. They would have sent me but they couldn't afford what they were already committed to and I wasn't about to make them pay for an art degree. The jobs that were left paid shit or didn't hire, I know b/c worked a many, good and bad. I was born in '73 and I saw all the towns I knew dry up.

So go f*ck yourself if you want to fight about it. Vote for Bernie or whoever but don't find yourself voting for the lesser of any evil or you will be voting for what we already have. And it'll be more of the same, as per usua
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:03 am

Seth G wrote:Just an update here to let you know when I say I'm doing something, I do it. Or I'll damn sure try and I'll let you know anyhow

I called "Bruin" back a couple months and talked to the engineer. Never got the owner, but at any rate, they up'd the quote to ~$160 lol. So I offered $50 and the patterns for both of the early cable sets(just a bit less than the $ quote 4 weeks prior with no offer), and mentioned the last price. The owner never got the msg or balked b/c I never heard back. So I'm using my oem set. Everybody's got to make a living and so do I. And judging by the input on this thread maybe they're right, there's no demand...not that they said that.

So I'll wait until some sucker buys a set and then they'll be $50-60 Cool and if not, whatever. I'm going to have an a/t. I'd go w/o or make/rebuild my own at twice the cost before paying them at this point. Morons imo. I can't, nay won't, knowingly do business with halfwits or douchebags if they can't bargain. I bid them good luck

Anyone who would post their visit to Iowa to get a glimpse of Trump on their company website... I could get political here but I won't. If you can't figure out why the jobs are gone and are looking for an option in a dipshit like that, you're a moron too. And probably a little baby greedy f*ck who's just a symptom of the disease of greed that plagues this nation. Gather em up and shoot em for all I care. Not worth the air they breath, the greedy f*cks. I'm not going to get political though lol

But growing up in Indiana I did watch as factory after factory shut down. Including my fathers a few years before his retirement as an industrial engineer. I was the youngest of 4 and that's really why I didn't go to college. They would have sent me but they couldn't afford what they were already committed to and I wasn't about to make them pay for an art degree. The jobs that were left paid shit or didn't hire, I know b/c worked a many, good and bad. I was born in '73 and I saw all the towns I knew dry up.

So go f*ck yourself if you want to fight about it. Vote for Bernie or whoever but don't find yourself voting for the lesser of any evil or you will be voting for what we already have. And it'll be more of the same, as per usua

WORD!
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:27 pm

Sorry, that was a bit of homebrew and homebread tangent. But God damn it

sometimes...
    Tice84
    Tice84

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2015-10-10

Post by Tice84 Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:29 pm

If this is you not get political, I'd like to hear you getting political sometime Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 2:52 pm