VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

What does that wire doooo!

What does that wire doooo! Empty What does that wire doooo!

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2009 1:53 pm

i'm having fits. the '67s brake lights/running rears are not functioning. well, not entirely. i was getting voltage through the left brake light even when the van was off. i sourced that to a missing return spring on the brake lever, it wasn't fully engaging the switch when i let off the brake. so that tiny little glimmer of light that gave me such a headache has now been extinguished.

now to the part that's baffling me.

in the left rear corner (right on the 69?), below the light housings, through the floorboard is a wire. dirt and grime have long since robbed it of any identifiable color. i've looked through the color diagram (i printed and laminated a copy from the forum) but can't find where this mystery wire goes, and whether or not its supposed to have power? has anyone got any advice for me? i'd really appreciate any help at all!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

What does that wire doooo! Empty Re: What does that wire doooo!

Post by donivan65 Sat May 02, 2009 3:02 pm

Well,,,,,,,A wire has to go inside the left rear door for the license plate light and it could have a ground wire from inside the door to inside the van,,,,,another goes down through the floor and to the top of the gas tank for the fuel gauge,,,,

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2009 3:24 pm

i came, i read, i understand.

my rear lights still won't work, but now the gas gauge surely does! thanks donivan! now i need to figure out how to cut power to my dome lights. they're long gone, and the orange and white wires look hella crispy. could this be why my lights aren't cooperating? or maybe just a bad headlight switch?

me, the laptop, and my dikes are inside the van right now on the prowl. thank god for wireless internet. i'd be lost without vintAGE vans!

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2009 4:51 pm

well, aside from the blinker issue (column woes) all the lights are functional. the charred orange and white remnants are stripped out and i pulled the white pin from the rear of my headlight switch. problem solved. no more fuses boiling and no strange irregularities to speak of... and i'm sure if a factory dome light is called for somewhere along the line, i can just re-pin the switch with a fresh ground.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Sat May 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Good job! Donivan is always a great help, like having a living shop manual or virtual mechanic!

Later,
    Rip

Post by Guest Mon May 04, 2009 9:19 am

grr, to continue my wiring woes, the only light not functioning on the van is my pass. front marker. it gets very low voltage. barely enough to show up on my test light. i've traced the purple lead directly up to... my harness column!

what're the chances that since the signal lever is long gone, that the plastic assembly inside the column is stuck in such a manner its messing with my right light? and is there anything that'll work for that piece besides a van signal? i got the one out of the parts van, its cracked also. but LESS cracked.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon May 04, 2009 11:09 am

If you are talking about the front parking lights, the wires go up to the headlight switch,,,,,so check for voltage there,,,,,,the turn signal wires would go up to the switch,,,,,,usually its a bad ground or a connector that dims the front marker/parking lights,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:28 pm