VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Alternate Steering Column 64 E100 DCW

jschwandt
    jschwandt

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2015-08-10

Alternate Steering Column 64 E100 DCW Empty Alternate Steering Column 64 E100 DCW

Post by jschwandt Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:29 pm

Hey guys,

I have a 64 DCW and I'm currently having a 200ci motor from a '78 Fairlane rebuilt. I'd like to put in an automatic tranny which means I'll also switch out the steering column.

I was checking out the "falcon" option from Ididit but I'm not sure if that will work, still waiting to hear back from them. I've also poked around looking at early bronco options and F100s but I'm having problems finding any fitment information.

You guys have any ideas on what a good aftermarket option would be?

austinmodhouse, its been a great project thus far! glad it worked out.

Here's a few shots of the 200

[img]Alternate Steering Column 64 E100 DCW IMG_9079[/img]

[img]Alternate Steering Column 64 E100 DCW IMG_9107[/img]

econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Alternate Steering Column 64 E100 DCW Empty Re: Alternate Steering Column 64 E100 DCW

Post by econopoor Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:25 am

Our steering columns are part of the steering box. There is no joint between the steering wheel and the steering box. To change this you would have to custom fabricate a way to use another column. There is no lower bearing supporting the steering shaft so this would have to be addressed as well. So-cal Vic on here as Old Skool builds auto columns for our trucks.

Duane.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Alternate Steering Column 64 E100 DCW Empty Re: Alternate Steering Column 64 E100 DCW

Post by Barnabas Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:25 pm

Just because you switch to an automatic transmission does not mean you have to change the steering column. It is true that Vic (Old Skool) will convert your manual column to an automatic, and make it better than it ever was, but you can also just use the existing steering column and use the 2-3 shift rod to control your transmission. This will not give you an indicator, but after a while you can figure out what gear you are in by feeling the clicks and seeing which way the van wants to go.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:27 pm

Barnabas wrote:Just because you switch to an automatic transmission does not mean you have to change the steering column.  It is true that Vic (Old Skool) will convert your manual column to an automatic, and make it better than it ever was, but you can also just use the existing steering column and use the 2-3 shift rod to control your transmission. This will not give you an indicator, but after a while you can figure out what gear you are in by feeling the clicks and seeing which way the van wants to go.
    ....That's what I did and it works great. It's hooked to a chevy auto, and I use 2 & 3 lever and used the ford arm with the adjuster underneath. Works like a charm. But yea...no indicator.Alternate Steering Column 64 E100 DCW Shifte10
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:01 pm

Alternate Steering Column 64 E100 DCW Shifte11Alternate Steering Column 64 E100 DCW Shifte12
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:30 pm

I should also add to this...that I am still in the planning and fitting stages of getting everything to fit and work smoothly on this van. The long shifter arm will eventually be bent in closer to the trans and the U shaped lever will be cut and re drilled to fit a proper bushing and bolt so it won't snap the shifter rod on the side of the trans. When I am done the shifter rod will line up with shifter properly. But again....this does work really well.
    jschwandt
    jschwandt

Post by jschwandt Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:21 pm

econopoor wrote:Our steering columns are part of the steering box. There is no joint between the steering wheel and the steering box. To change this you would have to custom fabricate a way to use another column. There is no lower bearing supporting the steering shaft so this would have to be addressed as well. So-cal Vic on here as Old Skool builds auto columns for our trucks.

Duane.

Duane,

Thank you for the information! Greatly appreciate it!

Jay
    jschwandt
    jschwandt

Post by jschwandt Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:33 pm

Big W wrote:I should also add to this...that I am still in the planning and fitting stages of getting everything to fit and work smoothly on this van. The long shifter arm will eventually be bent in closer to the trans and the U shaped lever will be cut and re drilled to fit a proper bushing and bolt so it won't snap the shifter rod on the side of the trans. When I am done the shifter rod will line up with shifter properly. But again....this does work really well.

Big W! You da man! Thanks for the information and more importantly the pictures, super helpful. I'll have to give this some thought on which direction to go.

Jay
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:58 pm

You can't beat one of Vic LaFountaine's columns with the cable shift setup. It's first class.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:09 pm