BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's


Add Some Zoomies?

Share
avatar
Cuzz

Number of posts : 62
Location : Michigan
Age : 52
Registration date : 2015-07-17

Add Some Zoomies?

Post by Cuzz on Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:49 pm

Thinking about adding some "white" zoomies that exit right in front of the rear tires? Just wonder if it would sound good if I totally eliminate the muffler (still has the original straight 6 in it)



avatar
Vantasia

Number of posts : 1388
Location : New Jersey
Age : 63
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Re: Add Some Zoomies?

Post by Vantasia on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Talk to and look at posts by JoeVan, he just put a set on his early GMC with sound video links too! I think he put them after a set of small flowmasters to keep them "reasonable" sounding, some cherrybomb glaspacks would certainly do the trick too....straight open might be a bit much IMHO! (and the cops too!) But talk to Joe Van in FL.


I have a six in my Chevy but with dual rear exhaust. I have a muffler with a single pipe input and dual pipe output (walker? but look at Summit Racing, several made). Then the rear pipes route out from the muffler, medium loud. The same set up could be used for zoomies on each side with a six, just use a 1 in 2 out muffler. Look at my avatar to see the dual pipes, they both have very even output from this type muffler too....
Like this one to connect the zoomies too...its a flowmaster
avatar
Cuzz

Number of posts : 62
Location : Michigan
Age : 52
Registration date : 2015-07-17

Re: Add Some Zoomies?

Post by Cuzz on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:04 pm

Very cool, thanks for the info.. To be honest, I like loud, lol.. Im sure no muffler at all wont be any louder than my Pro Street Camaro with Big Block 496 that only has a 16" piece of pipe and a free flowing race muffler on the end, lol.. Im gonna take the muffler of first and see how loud it is and then go from there.. Cops around here are pretty good as long as its a classic.

I think the muffler pictured above is a Flowmaster Super 10, which is the loudest muffler Flowmaster makes
avatar
Vantasia

Number of posts : 1388
Location : New Jersey
Age : 63
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Re: Add Some Zoomies?

Post by Vantasia on Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:07 pm

[quote="Cuzz"]Very cool, thanks for the info.. To be honest, I like loud, lol.. Im sure no muffler at all wont be any louder than my Pro Street Camaro with Big Block 496 that only has a 16" piece of pipe and a free flowing race muffler on the end, lol.. Im gonna take the muffler of first and see how loud it is and then go from there.. Cops around here are pretty good as long as its a classic.

I think the muffler pictured above is a Flowmaster Super 10, which is the loudest muffler Flowmaster makes[/quote
It should be, it's tiny!
avatar
Joe Van
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
Location : Ocala fl
Age : 50
Registration date : 2012-10-11

Re: Add Some Zoomies?

Post by Joe Van on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:23 am

I have the "2 chamber" flowmasters with 2-1/2 pipe on mine they are pretty loud at highway speeds the one chamber would really sound good but its way to loud with out any mufflers on the street unless you are in good with the local police plus you need some kind of back pressure for the motor a 1/4 mile at a time is way different than a two hundred mile trip..!!!... Smile ...Keep Us Posted....!!!..


_________________
1966 GMC Handivan "Panel"....1975 Chevy Van G10 "Panel"....1991 Chevy Van G20 "Conversion"
avatar
Cuzz

Number of posts : 62
Location : Michigan
Age : 52
Registration date : 2015-07-17

Re: Add Some Zoomies?

Post by Cuzz on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Joe Van wrote:I have the "2 chamber" flowmasters with 2-1/2 pipe on mine they are pretty loud at highway speeds the one chamber would really sound good but its way to loud with out any mufflers on the street unless you are in good with the local police plus you need some kind of back pressure for the motor a 1/4 mile at a time is way different than a two hundred mile trip..!!!... Smile ...Keep Us Posted....!!!..

I have 5 months of winter now so there is plenty of time for test and tune, lol.. I will keep yall posted
avatar
Joe Van
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
Location : Ocala fl
Age : 50
Registration date : 2012-10-11

Re: Add Some Zoomies?

Post by Joe Van on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:31 am

Cuzz wrote:
Joe Van wrote:I have the "2 chamber" flowmasters with 2-1/2 pipe on mine they are pretty loud at highway speeds the one chamber would really sound good but its way to loud with out any mufflers on the street unless you are in good with the local police plus you need some kind of back pressure for the motor a 1/4 mile at a time is way different than a two hundred mile trip..!!!... Smile ...Keep Us Posted....!!!..

I have 5 months of winter now so there is plenty of time for test and tune, lol.. I will keep yall posted
Sounds good I will tell you the hardest part of the whole job is getting all 8 pipes evenly spread apart and the same hight took me 3 trips to the exhaust shop but a good tip make sure you put a peice of steel strap just behind the tips to keep them from moving when its running I used a peice if 1/2 x 1/2 strip to connect all 4 pipes together to keep them in line when you are ready I will post some pictures to save you a lot of guess work use the one stage flowmasters and you will be the terror of the neighbor hood..!!!...LOL..I like going through big parking lots setting everyones car alarms off...!!!.. cheers


_________________
1966 GMC Handivan "Panel"....1975 Chevy Van G10 "Panel"....1991 Chevy Van G20 "Conversion"
avatar
Cuzz

Number of posts : 62
Location : Michigan
Age : 52
Registration date : 2015-07-17

Re: Add Some Zoomies?

Post by Cuzz on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:14 am

Joe Van wrote:
Cuzz wrote:
Joe Van wrote:I have the "2 chamber" flowmasters with 2-1/2 pipe on mine they are pretty loud at highway speeds the one chamber would really sound good but its way to loud with out any mufflers on the street unless you are in good with the local police plus you need some kind of back pressure for the motor a 1/4 mile at a time is way different than a two hundred mile trip..!!!... Smile ...Keep Us Posted....!!!..

I have 5 months of winter now so there is plenty of time for test and tune, lol.. I will keep yall posted
Sounds good I will tell you the hardest part of the whole job is getting all 8 pipes evenly spread apart and the same hight took me 3 trips to the exhaust shop but a good tip make sure you put a peice of steel strap just behind the tips to keep them from moving when its running I used a peice if 1/2 x 1/2 strip to connect all 4 pipes together to keep them in line when you are ready I will post some pictures to save you a lot of guess work use the one stage flowmasters and you will be the terror of the neighbor hood..!!!...LOL..I like going through big parking lots setting everyones car alarms off...!!!.. cheers

LOL, are you still running a straight 6 motor? Its times like this that I wish I had my own pipe bender.. What size pipes did you use, 1-3/4'? Do you know what degree they were bent?
avatar
Joe Van
Moderator 1st Class
Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
Location : Ocala fl
Age : 50
Registration date : 2012-10-11

Re: Add Some Zoomies?

Post by Joe Van on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:48 am

I have a 307 V8 in mine....The Zoomies you have pictured are from the guy on ebay he made my tips I found a NOS set of zoomies from a different guy they are 1-3/4 pipe with 9 inch long tips with a 70 degree bend I had my tips made in alunumized pipe you will save a "TON" of work just buying a set from the guy on ebay they are "Very" hard to make to look right... I have owned a automotive repair shop here in Florida since 1987 we do everything except exhaust and after 33 years of turning wrenches it was tough as the pipes would heat up after a drive and move thats why the steel strap behind the tips is so important I still have $400,00 in mine with a ton of labor if I had to do it over again I would just buy them already made and just worry about getting all the tips straight and even..!!!.. Very Happy ..Drawing by the "Great" Richard Don Linkel....


_________________
1966 GMC Handivan "Panel"....1975 Chevy Van G10 "Panel"....1991 Chevy Van G20 "Conversion"
avatar
Cuzz

Number of posts : 62
Location : Michigan
Age : 52
Registration date : 2015-07-17

Re: Add Some Zoomies?

Post by Cuzz on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:22 pm

Joe Van wrote:I have a 307 V8 in mine....The Zoomies you have pictured are from the guy on ebay he made my tips I found a NOS set of zoomies from a different guy they are 1-3/4 pipe with 9 inch long tips with a 70 degree bend I had my tips made in alunumized pipe you will save a "TON" of work just buying a set from the guy on ebay they are "Very" hard to make to look right... I have owned a automotive repair shop here in Florida since 1987 we do everything except exhaust and after 33 years of turning wrenches it was tough as the pipes would heat up after a drive and move thats why the steel strap behind the tips is so important I still have $400,00 in mine with a ton of labor if I had to do it over again I would just buy them already made and just worry about getting all the tips straight and even..!!!.. Very Happy ..

Thanks, I think your right, the labor alone isn't worth the small cost savings so I will probably just buy them from the ebay guy.. Im still running the original 170ci motor so im thinking it might be perfect with just straight pipes and no muffler.. I just hope it doesn't sound like a pea shooter, lol..

Sponsored content

Re: Add Some Zoomies?

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:21 am