VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
Toast
6 posters

Bad Bog at WOT

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Bad Bog at WOT - Page 2 Empty Re: Bad Bog at WOT

Post by RodStRace Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:45 pm

destro360, Didn't mean to imply you were wet behind the ears. Your posts show a good knowledge, so I'm sorry if I offended.
    Sounds like you have covered all the bases, so either you missed something (doubtful) or it's a problem beyond normal repairs (common on older stuff).
    The following are suggestions based on the info you have provided and what I have run across, not indictments of your work.
    1. Coil weak. Commonly fails open (no spark) or shorts across the windings (less power). Full throttle is the time when the most spark is needed, so if it's marginal, it could cause this. A 'scope is the best tool to check this. Hooking up the coil backwards can cause issues, but it's normally a high speed miss, not a load problem.
    2. Spark scatter. I have never seen this on a Mopar, but have on other brands. Due to the Dist. being off (phasing), the rotor is not pointing at the cap terminal, but in between 2 terminals. This can cause the spark to jump to the further terminal under high load since electricity follows the path of least resistance.
    3. Engine issues. Weak rings can also give up the ghost under high load. Usually is followed by lots of smoke which you have not mentioned.
    4. Obstruction of exhaust or intake. The exhaust usually hits at higher speeds, your description is at any speed under high load. That's why I suggested a vacuum gauge. Intake clogging also tends follows this, but is more load sensitive.
    5. Power circuit in the carb. I've seen a few carbs that will fall flat when opened past a certain point. Quickest test is to squirt carb cleaner down the throat of the carb when it bogs. This can cause a big flaming backfire out of the carb, so be careful!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:05 pm

RodStRace wrote:destro360, Didn't mean to imply you were wet behind the ears. Your posts show a good knowledge, so I'm sorry if I offended.
    Sounds like you have covered all the bases, so either you missed something (doubtful) or it's a problem beyond normal repairs (common on older stuff).
    The following are suggestions based on the info you have provided and what I have run across, not indictments of your work.
    1. Coil weak. Commonly fails open (no spark) or shorts across the windings (less power). Full throttle is the time when the most spark is needed, so if it's marginal, it could cause this. A 'scope is the best tool to check this. Hooking up the coil backwards can cause issues, but it's normally a high speed miss, not a load problem.
    2. Spark scatter. I have never seen this on a Mopar, but have on other brands. Due to the Dist. being off (phasing), the rotor is not pointing at the cap terminal, but in between 2 terminals. This can cause the spark to jump to the further terminal under high load since electricity follows the path of least resistance.
    3. Engine issues. Weak rings can also give up the ghost under high load. Usually is followed by lots of smoke which you have not mentioned.
    4. Obstruction of exhaust or intake. The exhaust usually hits at higher speeds, your description is at any speed under high load. That's why I suggested a vacuum gauge. Intake clogging also tends follows this, but is more load sensitive.
    5. Power circuit in the carb. I've seen a few carbs that will fall flat when opened past a certain point. Quickest test is to squirt carb cleaner down the throat of the carb when it bogs. This can cause a big flaming backfire out of the carb, so be careful!

hey bud no offense taken at all in anyway and im sorry if i came off that way. i did forget to thank you for the advise (my bad) THANK YOU VERY MUCH. i was just trying to process what you had recommended in my already clogged brain haha this will not take full throttle at low speeds but will at high speed. but it does not smoke one drop of smoke. NO LIE thats the reason i bought it because when i put a battery in and fired it up for the first time in like five years it did not let out one drop of black (fuel) or blue (oil) smoke. i have sprayed carb cleaner down its throat while bogged and it did not make it better or worse Shocked the thing that bugs me right now is i have a brand new webber 32/36 off my old datsun that i would really like to try out on my van but as far as i know i'd have to find a special intake to do so.... im leaning towards defect carb or dist problem.... i just dont know at this point.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:08 pm

anybody got a decent running single carb up for grabs for a price less than my arms legs or third leg??? i'll slap it on just to test and keep the other for back up...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:01 pm

might check the exhaust before you buy a carb or dist . cut it before muffler, like 8-10 inches behind Y this way you can get a coupler from a flaps to put exhaust back together after testing. keep us posted

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:36 pm