VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
scarlin
diamond dave
chainsaw
wirepuller
Cuzz
9 posters

Centering The Front Wheel

Cuzz
    Cuzz

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2015-07-17

Centering The Front Wheel Empty Centering The Front Wheel

Post by Cuzz Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Is there a way to move the front wheel back about 1.5" so its more centered in the wheel well?  Im getting a slight tire rub on the front side when I turn and would easily clear on the front and back if I can move it back about 1.5"

Centering The Front Wheel Cam01410
    wirepuller
    wirepuller

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

Centering The Front Wheel Empty Re: Centering The Front Wheel

Post by wirepuller Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:29 pm

There certainly isn't any kits available that I know of.  The way I see it you would need to cut the spring mounts off the frame and re-weld it back about 1.5".  Then you would need to relocate your shock mount.  Then you would need to extend your steering idler arm that connects the steering box to your tie rod.  you might also have to relocate your brake lines, depending on how big of a loop there is.  I can't comment on the interferences you may have with the motor/radiator and the axle.

Hope this helps, but you will have some planning and fabricating to do.

WP
    Cuzz
    Cuzz

Post by Cuzz Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:35 pm

wirepuller wrote:There certainly isn't any kits available that I know of.  The way I see it you would need to cut the spring mounts off the frame and re-weld it back about 1.5".  Then you would need to relocate your shock mount.  Then you would need to extend your steering idler arm that connects the steering box to your tie rod.  you might also have to relocate your brake lines, depending on how big of a loop there is.  I can't comment on the interferences you may have with the motor/radiator and the axle.

Hope this helps, but you will have some planning and fabricating to do.

WP

Thanks, I was also thinking about having a local spring company make me some new leafs and move the stud back 1.5" (unless they can rework mine) but as you stated, there are other factors as well such as the extending the steering idler arm and maybe the brake lines too.
    Cuzz
    Cuzz

Post by Cuzz Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:11 pm

Im sure it would be much easier to just get a smaller tire (LOL) but I was hoping to keep the front tires because they match the larger rear tires and are period correct for a 70's hot rod look which im trying to achieve.
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Number of posts : 226
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by chainsaw Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:04 pm

I'm not a Econoline expert but all the ones Ive seen had the tires centered. Is there any way someone could have put the springs in reversed?
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:34 pm

my 65's front tires were centered, i'm pretty sure.
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

Post by scarlin Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:50 pm

Per Old Skool Vic I believe. The leaf springs will move the axle from front to rear depending on the load, Your front seems to sit very high. I have 14's on the 66 and 67 and seem centered.
    Cuzz
    Cuzz

Post by Cuzz Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:21 pm

scarlin wrote:Per Old Skool Vic I believe. The leaf springs will move the axle from front to rear depending on the load, Your front seems to sit very high. I have 14's on the 66 and 67 and seem centered.

The front end is on jackstands in the picture but even at normal ride height they still are not centered. Everything in and under the van is original so no one has ever replaced or moved anything and there is no extra load in it. The G60 tires in the picture are equivalent to 275/60 so I think im just going to look for a slightly smaller tire to put on that rim. I just need to find a 14" tire that will somewhat match the rear tires, which are the same but in L60-14
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:17 pm

I have 14" tires on my 66 and they are centered. As I look at your avatar pic...it looks to me like your offset of the front wheels, are sticking out to far. Could this be playing a part on why they are rubbing? My tires are in farther and is lower to the ground and they don't rub. Now I know mags ain't cheap, so I would try a smaller tire first as well....would be a good start and would probably work for you as well.
    Cuzz
    Cuzz

Post by Cuzz Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:29 am

Big W wrote:I have 14" tires on my 66 and they are centered. As I look at your avatar pic...it looks to me like your offset of the front wheels, are sticking out to far. Could this be playing a part on why they are rubbing? My tires are in farther and is lower to the ground and they don't rub. Now I know mags ain't cheap, so I would try a smaller tire first as well....would be a good start and would probably work for you as well.

I have smaller tires on order and there is no doubt the offset of the wheel is the main cause of the tire rub but I want to try and make these wheels work if I can. I still want to lift the front 2" too.. I already had the rear springs re-arched to give it a 3" lift.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:57 am

The problem is the arc of the spring. As the truck is raised it moves the axle forward. You can have a set of custom springs made to move the axle back but the drag link will have to be extended the same amount so you don't create bump steer. Those are some OLD tires. They haven't used the letter system since the early 80's. G-60's equate to a 245-60. L-60's were 275-60's. I'm running just about the same wheel and tire on my 67 pickup. These are 235-60-14's and they clear with no issues.

Centering The Front Wheel IMG_20140917_172900597-vi

Duane
    Cuzz
    Cuzz

Post by Cuzz Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:58 am

econopoor wrote:The problem is the arc of the spring. As the truck is raised it moves the axle forward. You can have a set of custom springs made to move the axle back but the drag link will have to be extended the same amount so you don't create bump steer. Those are some OLD tires. They haven't used the letter system since the early 80's. G-60's equate to a 245-60. L-60's were 275-60's. I'm running just about the same wheel and tire on my 67 pickup. These are 235-60-14's and they clear with no issues.

Centering The Front Wheel IMG_20140917_172900597-vi

Duane

Im trying to achieve an early 70's hot rod look and that's why I went with this tires/wheel combo. As old as these tires are, they are like new and don't have any cracking or weather checking at all. Its like someone put a few hundred miles on them and then put them in a time capsule for over 30 years. I found a handful of websites that also say the G60 is equivalent to a 245/60 but that's not true, they are actually equal to a 275/60 and the L60 is equal to a 295/60.. I have a brand new 245/60 here and the G60 is both wider and taller by over an inch.

Once I pull the front leaf springs off this week, I will decide which route I want to go. I can lengthen the drag link myself by cutting it and welding a sleeve over it to gain an inch or so.
    Hawgford
    Hawgford

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2015-08-17

Post by Hawgford Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:30 pm

my 62 has this issue,because P o decided to put shackle bars [!]on the front springs..a pic of the correct sent up to my inbox would be sweet as i don't know if I am missin a middle mount or springs go right in frame mount? For sure wheel offset is a factor 'tuckin" them in and skinnier will help. I am runnin late model steel ranger 15in wheels 255 70 back 205 70 ft,6in rim,they fill the wells,um,well.. the 255 rear might be a lil big..OLd tires you say? hmm i got 4 wasted 14 in keystone klassics with delta road maxes on 2,true tall tread square tires. they're up for grabs and holdin air but NOT NOT road worthy. the letters must be at least 3in,lol
    Cuzz
    Cuzz

Post by Cuzz Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:36 pm

I took my front leaf springs to a reputable spring shop and they are moving my center bolt back 1" and also re-arching them to give me 1.5" of lift.. The combination of moving the bolt back and the lift should help clear my tires.. I hope to have them back in a few days and will post the results once I install them.. Worse case I might have to lengthen the drag link a little.. I now have 215/60-14's on the front.. Here is the latest picture with the old leaf springs and new front tires..

Centering The Front Wheel Img_0311
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:57 pm

Well at least your spending your time and energy on something that is cool!
    Cuzz
    Cuzz

Post by Cuzz Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:01 pm

Well I had the pin in my leaf springs moved back 3/4" and then re-arched add 1.5".. Now every things fits and there is no tire rub.

Centering The Front Wheel Img_0312

Congrats Cuzz! I just have to say this again, I LOVE this van!!! One of the cleanest, straightest Econolines I've seen in a while. The stance is Great too! your wife has a "keeper" there for sure!!! cheers Very Happy Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:16 pm