VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

finally going to get a radiator. help please

Arnolds Garage
    Arnolds Garage

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2013-03-23

finally going to get a radiator. help please Empty finally going to get a radiator. help please

Post by Arnolds Garage Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:51 pm

I have a 69 gmc with an early 70 s 350. I've had mine worked on twice already so its time for a new one. I've read most of the previous post on the subject. The 67/70 mustang/cougar radiator that kookykrispy looks like it will work. Just wondering if anyone has used it in a second gen with a v8. Any help is appreciated.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

finally going to get a radiator. help please Empty Re: finally going to get a radiator. help please

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:39 pm

Heres what i do - get in ebay!!!!!!!!!! Look for Chrysler cars (BIG) & Chrysler=trucks -1/2 & 3/4 ton applications. in the late 60's early 70's = maybe up to 78??-era!!  They are minimum 3 core & some 4 core ones =WITH  side mounts on them.  What to watch out for on these is  = where the water inlets & outlets are!!! They make   both for chev & ford 9opposite) applications!!!!!!!  usually costs below 200 bux & all usually have tranny coolers & some even come with elect. Fans!! What i suggest is also -   get -or have made a fan shroud to fit these!! Your cooling problems will be  a thing of the past!! Its what i do !! cheers
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

finally going to get a radiator. help please Empty Re: finally going to get a radiator. help please

Post by Vantasia Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:19 pm

Do you have your original?  I had my original re-cored using a 2 X 45, 5/8" tube core instead of the stock 2 X 30, 1/2" tube core, more than 40% more cooing capacity and flow!  Fantastic results, my 6L runs all day at +/- 170 with no shroud or extra fan, 20-30 degrees less than the old clogged core.  Trick is find a good shop that still does this work, all the new rads are plastic/aluminum throw aways so re-coring is disapperaing fast and the cost of copper made this a bit more costly than a new aluminum one, but no worries about fitment.  Consider it if you have the original, all they need are your tanks.
    Arnolds Garage
    Arnolds Garage

Post by Arnolds Garage Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Two years ago I had it fixed but now it just has too many leaks. I would really rather spend the money on a good new one.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:54 pm

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:53 pm

Arnolds Garage wrote:I have a 69 gmc with an early 70 s 350. I've had mine worked on twice already so its time for a new one. I've read most of the previous post on the subject. The 67/70 mustang/cougar radiator that kookykrispy looks like it will work. Just wondering if anyone has used it in a second gen with a v8. Any help is appreciated.

The cougar radiator works, but only if being used in a downflow application.

If your van is a crossflow configuration, you will need to replace with a crossflow type radiator.

That being said, I imagine the aluminum cougar/mustang radiator we used on my buddy's van would cool a v8 no problem.
    Arnolds Garage
    Arnolds Garage

Post by Arnolds Garage Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:08 am

I think the one kookykrispy had will work. It even looks like the one I have now. It does have a fittings for a Trans cooler correct? I have a 350 turbo Trans.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:34 pm

Here's the one we used on my buddy's van. I want to stress that there were two different radiator set-ups offered in 2nd gen chevy vans. This will work only if you have a downflow set-up. Note that this has the correct inlet/outlets for chevy engines, and yes it does have a built in automatic trans cooler. You can see the threaded holes on the bottom tank and that's where your tranny cooler lines go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-70-Mustang-Cougar-aluminum-radiator-V8-left-inlet-right-outlet-/230828903261?fits=Model%3ACougar&vxp=mtr&hash=item35be798b5d

finally going to get a radiator. help please $(KGrHqR,!nYE-z14in5fBQCttlwt!w~~60_57

Arnolds Garage
    Arnolds Garage

Post by Arnolds Garage Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Ordered the mustang /cougar radiator. I thank you for the info. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:58 pm

If it were Mine I would run an external Trans Cooler !!!! Keep some of the heat out of the Radiator !!!! Plus if that cooler in the radiator ever leaks .. your pumping water back to the trans ..... and trans fluid into the cooling system ..... ruin your trans and your radiator and Heater hoses ......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 am