VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Red Falcon
Magic Bus
jdlaugh
econopoor
misterbee
9 posters

Looking for a replacement gas tank for 1962 Econoline

misterbee
    misterbee

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2014-12-30

Looking for a replacement gas tank for 1962 Econoline Empty Looking for a replacement gas tank for 1962 Econoline

Post by misterbee Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:32 pm

I'm looking for a NOS or replacement gas tank for my 62 E100 pickup. I see a lot of Falcon tanks for sale from this era, but I don't think they are the same.

My existing tank is OK. It has multiple layers of paint from what appears to be older restorations. I did look inside and saw some blue-colored material. Perhaps some sort of sealer?

Your thoughts appreciated.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Looking for a replacement gas tank for 1962 Econoline Empty Re: Looking for a replacement gas tank for 1962 Econoline

Post by econopoor Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:34 pm

There are no new Econoline gas tanks. It's real easy to convert one of the common Mustang tanks to fit. All you need to do is cut the filler tube and vent tube from your tank and have the welded or soldered into the replacement tank. Here is a link to Fred Carello's photo page showing how to do this conversion.

https://s225.photobucket.com/user/fmc56/library/Econolines/20%20gallon%20fuel%20tank?sort=3&page=1
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Looking for a replacement gas tank for 1962 Econoline Empty Re: Looking for a replacement gas tank for 1962 Econoline

Post by jdlaugh Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:47 pm

I did this conversion, and it was fairly simple, although you need to get the filler tube location pretty exact -- not a lot of wiggle room if it is out of alignment even by a little.

I left off the vent tube and I'm using a venting gas cap. Jury is out on whether that's a good idea....
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:51 pm

The vent tube needs to be in place because the fill tube enters the bottom of the tank. You need some way to release the air trapped above the top of the fill tube.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:08 pm

econopoor wrote:The vent tube needs to be in place because the fill tube enters the bottom of the tank. You need some way to release the air trapped above the top of the fill tube.

Im glad you pointed that out, things were getting a little slow and we were thinking about laying you off for a while but I guess you earned your keep for a few more days... Razz
    Red Falcon
    Red Falcon

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2014-05-12

Post by Red Falcon Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:06 pm

As long as Duane's still on call...........how the heck to you get that vent tube hooked on to the tank vent? By the time you have the tank in position the vent tube can t be reached.
    stanyon
    stanyon

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2013-08-29

Post by stanyon Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:02 am

When I reinstalled my tank I put the vent tube on before Mounting the tank, and then connected the vent tube to the vent with a slip joint right at the corner before it started its path up into the venting area.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:02 am

The vent has to be in the center of the top of the tank. Anywhere else and cornering forces will force fuel out of the vent. So, when installing the vent tube make sure it's centered. I install the hose to the tube before lifting the tank in position. The hose goes thru the hole in the frame then bends back to the vent box in the corner of the bed-body. The hose will have to be inserted in the hole before the tank is raised. It's kinda a pain to juggle all this back in place but I've done it several times by myself so it can be done. Believe me, If my crippled ass can do it anybody can.

I've been looking for my notice any day now. The Econoline traffic has been really slow on this site. Thinking about retirement! Just not much going on nowadays. I've seen a lot of traffic move to the Facebook pages. EconOline page is jumping. Nothing gets saved on Facebook so it's no good for reference. I'm guilty myself as I've been helping a friend repair all the rust in his 67 pickup and I haven't posted a thing on the work we've done. My 67 is in standby mode while we work on his. I just got my 61 out for the first time since before Christmas just last weekend. We're going to have to get our traffic back up on here.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:35 am

When it comes to getting information on our old vans, this is the only place I come to. When I first joined this great group, I had lots of questions and received lots of help and after some time I was able to help others from what I have learned here. That "search" feature we have here sure does save a lot of time and saves people from having to ask a question that has been asked 50 times over. Once summer comes...which better be soon...lol... I will get some more progress pics up as I move forward with my 66. It sucks not having a shop to work in over the winter. Things will pick up around here once the warm weather rolls in. Best site in town.. cheers cheers cheers
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Post by AZ SuperVan Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:46 am

Facebook is killing forums. People don't realize what they are losing Facebook is terrible for anything other than posting pictures. I think the best way to deal with it is to direct people here if they want technical help. That way the information stays where it can be found.
    misterbee
    misterbee

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2014-12-30

Post by misterbee Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments! I will pass this along to my builder. I'm also costing out having the existing tank blasted and recoated (inside). I'm adding fuel injection to my 62, so I will have to modify the tank anyway for the FI drain line.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:22 pm

Have a good look at the tank. I was going to totally rehab mine, but after giving it a good inspection it's actually in great condition, so I just cleaned up the outside, painted it and gave it a good flush. Just have to ground the tank and it's good to go.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:40 pm