VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
donivan65
dan nachel
ggallinzo1
7 posters

cooling problems

ggallinzo1
    ggallinzo1

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2015-04-06

cooling problems Empty cooling problems

Post by ggallinzo1 Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:55 pm

i rebuild my 350 and threw it in my 68 chevy van, it runs really good, i installed a brand new 3 fire aluminum radiator with an electric fan and shroud, but I'm over heating just driving it around for 15 min, i don't have a thermostat and i redid my times. could it be my valves?
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

cooling problems Empty Re: cooling problems

Post by dan nachel Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Not having a thermostat is often worse. The water moves through the system too fast and doesn't have time to cool down in the radiator.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:53 pm

The real radiator needs a surge tank with a recirc hose on it to let the air bleed out of the cooling system,,,,,did you get all the air out of the system with that radiator?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:21 am

Yeah , air in the system is your enemy. If you have eliminated the  tank? you still need the high point in line fill and a coolant recovery tank along with a stat.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:38 am

Ditto on the stat, the water/coolant, 50/50, needs to stay in the radiator long enough to cool, full flow will run hot. I just put in a recored radiator and a new 180 stat with my 6 cyl. You can watch the temp on the gauge go up and down between 165 and 180 as the stat opens and closes.
    ggallinzo1
    ggallinzo1

Post by ggallinzo1 Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:48 am

Alright I'm going to put a thermostat in and see how that works. I modified the new radiator and welded and aluminum bung on it to accommodate the stock fill can. But i feel like it still needs an overflow.?..?
    ggallinzo1
    ggallinzo1

Post by ggallinzo1 Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:48 am

Alright I'm going to put a thermostat in and see how that works. I modified the new radiator and welded and aluminum bung on it to accommodate the stock fill can. But i feel like it still needs an overflow.?..?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:50 pm

The surge tank also has a hose that goes to the coupling on the upper hose,,,,,,

cooling problems 2nd_ge11
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:59 pm

remember-when these vans were NEW!! They never had  overflow cans , thermostatic Clutch  fans, electric fans!! They cooled fine then. Therefore- air flow & not circulation is the leading problem! With a =NEW Radiator!Thermostst =YES A=180F! after 1965 some mfg's added the clutch fans -usually GM. Do you have a shroud?? scratch

Clutch Fans & Shrouds= were the solution to factory air conditioning
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Mon May 04, 2015 10:13 am

I live in one of the hottest places in the US......I routinely eliminate thermostats and have never had any of my vehicles ever run hotter without a stat......My 91 Olds wagon now runs at 160 degrees with no loss of fuel mileage or drivability....... Times I've had overheating issues, it has ALWAYS been a malfunctioning thermostat...... I've been told that 1 in 3 malfunction right out of the box and I have found it to be more like 2 in 3........I WILL NEVER INSTALL A THERMOSTAT WITHOUT DROPPING IT INTO A CUP OF APPROPRIATELY HEATED WATER FIRST to see if it opens....I once replaced water pump, radiator, and hoses on a car, and installed a mechanical gauge because I didnt suspect the new thermostat.
    I get that you are overheating without a stat, and I agree with the advice about a fan shroud and eliminating air pocket up top. I also would look closely at the lower hose for an aneurism, kinking or sucking shut. Also want to make sure that fan is running constantly until the van runs cooler than spec.......You didn't say what kind of rebuild you did, but if you did a high compression "hotrod" rebuild on a 350, it may just be too hot for a classic van........Air flow and radiator size are limited...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:14 am