VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Automatic transmission crossmember.

fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Automatic transmission crossmember. Empty Automatic transmission crossmember.

Post by fmc56 Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:57 pm

I just completed a crossmember to adapt a passenger car C-4 into an early Econoline. I used a 65-67 engine crossmember and a 4"X6" gusseted steel plate. On the 61-64 trucks the original transmission hanger must be removed or trimmed, the 65-67 does not. I used the frame mounts from the 65-67 to attach the crossmember to the frame rails. It's very simple to make. Finding an original automatic transmission is becoming difficult. This should make swapping a more common passenger car transmission easy. I am checking to see if it will also fit an AOD.
    Fred
    Automatic transmission crossmember. Automa10
    Automatic transmission crossmember. Automa11
    Automatic transmission crossmember. Automa12
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Automatic transmission crossmember. Empty Re: Automatic transmission crossmember.

Post by RipVanArkie Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Looks great!

Later,
    Rip
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Automatic transmission crossmember. Empty Re: Automatic transmission crossmember.

Post by Old Skool Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:57 pm

Fred,, glad to see you here,, now that you showed the pics I like it better than the universal member, it doesnt extend under the tranny, and really fits up in there nicely. Impressive and clean. BTW. measured the short tail stock with the under tranny mount,, its exactly the same as the long tail stock,but with the short setup.
    vic
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:05 pm

looks great what was the 65-67 engine crossmember out of?
    fmc56
    fmc56

Post by fmc56 Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Old Skool wrote:Fred,, glad to see you here,, now that you showed the pics I like it better than the universal member, it doesnt extend under the tranny, and really fits up in there nicely. Impressive and clean. BTW. measured the short tail stock with the under tranny mount,, its exactly the same as the long tail stock,but with the short setup.
    vic
    Vic,
    That's a similar set up I used on my 62 4 wheel drive pickup for the Bronco transmission/transfer case. I have one mocked up for an AOD in the 63 Navy pickup.
    Fred
    fmc56
    fmc56

Post by fmc56 Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:27 pm

61econoline wrote:looks great what was the 65-67 engine crossmember out of?
    Any 65-67 Econoline engine crossmember will work. You have to remove the engine mount towers and be sure to cut the inner and outer mounting brackets from the frame rails.
    Fred

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:58 pm