VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Electric Fan ?

stanyon
    stanyon

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2013-08-29

Electric Fan ? Empty Electric Fan ?

Post by stanyon Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:51 pm

I've read several posts on using a electric fan to help cooling issues. They all seem to lean towards the use of a two speed fan off a early 90's Tarus, and a hi-output alternator (90amp) also off a early 90's Tarus. Looking thru the local Pick&Pull today I found what appeared to be three different fan blades, 5, 8 & 10, and the alternators I had no idea how to distinguish if in-fact it was a hi output. Do the ones I am looking for have a Ford part no or a identifiable markings or character ?
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Electric Fan ? Empty Re: Electric Fan ?

Post by Big W Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:50 pm

The electric fan I am using is from a Taurus wagon that had a 3.8L with A/C. As for the Alternator from that same wagon...not sure what size it was. This fan fits the 240 radiator nicely with minor modifying of the fan shroud. Trimmed down to fit inside the cores. It took me 10 minits or so to make it fit nice. It also covers about 90 to 95% of the rad. Electric Fan ? Best_f17Electric Fan ? Best_f18Electric Fan ? Best_f19...And I figured out why the pics were not working...DOH!!!!
    stanyon
    stanyon

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2013-08-29

Post by stanyon Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:32 am

Thanks for the picture's that cleared up a lot for me.
    paradiddle
    paradiddle

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2016-03-27

Post by paradiddle Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Bringing this old thread to the top. Did it substantially affect the cooling of the van? I imagine it also freed up some power from the engine cause it didn't have to drive the fan.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:25 pm

So far it works really well keeping a 350sbc at around 185 to 190 degrees. I drove the van into town and it ran very well. I also have a trans cooler with electric fan as well and no squealing on the alternator belt. Eventually I would like to run a dual pulley system for alt belts...but so far so good. I am very happy with this set up. I should also add that the radiator is a NEW 3 core, which is KEY to helping keep these old girls cool.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:49 pm

Ive got one of the 2 speed volvo fan controls, I'm going to mount a 2 speed VW temp switch in the lower radiator tank to control it and a 2 speed fan.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 6:55 pm