VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Casimier
Seth G
AZ SuperVan
QCT
8 posters

Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions..

QCT
    QCT

Number of posts : 559
    Registration date : 2015-01-01

Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions.. Empty Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions..

Post by QCT Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:09 pm

I am looking at a 62 Falcon with automatic trans, however the engine is shot. I have located a possible replacement with a 3 speed trans, however the engine size is unknown. Is anyone able to identify the size by these pictures? It came out of a 67 Econoline truck if that's any help.. Also would this be a suitable replacement? Van is automatic and the possible replacement engine has a 3 speed which comes with it..

Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions.. 00h0h_10

Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions.. 01111_10
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions.. Empty Re: Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions..

Post by AZ SuperVan Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm

Looks like a 170 to me.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions.. Empty Re: Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions..

Post by Seth G Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:54 pm

Yep, I'd say 170, blue valve cover, came out of a 67, has the late style trans hanger and 3.03 3-spd

You're better off finding a 200 if you can, but yes that engine should "drop right in", minus the transmission of course.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions.. Empty trans and linkage

Post by Casimier Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:27 am

Kyle

How is it going?

Watch out for the do's and don'ts when it comes to swapping with the Econolines.

Transmissions, linkages , steering columns, motor mounts, drive-shafts for certain years are all different.

You are starting with a 62 falcon with a 144 or 170 engine & automatic trans....

You want a 170 with 3 speed or are you just swapping the motor?

I'm sure everyone will jump in on this as soon as we know what you want as an end result.

Jim in NJ aka Casimier
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:33 pm

Here's a link to help identify the motor for sure. It could be anything from 144-200, to be honest. Just b/c it came out of a 67 econo doesn't mean it was the stock or original engine. One of the main things to look for is the number of "freeze" or core plugs on the side of the block, if it has 3 it's either a 144 or a 170, if it has 5 it's a 200.  The 200 is a common swap so it wouldn't be surprising. Telling a 144 from a 170 is much more difficult, but it's unlikely that it's a 144. Anything you need, like the flexplate, starter, carb, motor mounts(your's are different) you can rob off of your motor and they will all bolt right on to this one

http://www.classicinlines.com/Ident.asp
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:33 am

I would be looking to strictly swap the motor and keep the auto trans. The guy who has the motor in the pictures said it has about 60,000 miles on it and has rebuilt carb and new manifold intake gasket. I feel just making the swap would save some cash but it'd be somewhat of a risk because i'd be taking the sellers word for the fact the engine ran great.

I spoke to a local shop today and the owner suggested I just rebuild the motor and rebuild the trans already in the van rather then swapping out. He couldn't even give me a ballpark price without seeing the van in person.. Kinda tough when I have yet to make a deal with the seller. I can't even imagine what it would cost to rebuild the engine and trans. Any thoughts if this would be a better route and if anyone has had a shop do this what would be a reasonable price? With my work schedule I don't have the time nor the patience to do it or else my father and I could probably do it.

Ideally the least expensive option would be most attractive however I do want to be able to drive the van anywhere without worry..
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:57 pm

If it were me I'd be tempted to just drop it in and run it. Rebuild it when it needs it. Could have it done in an afternoon or 2 with a little help. You can check the oil, pull the valve cover and see what the valve train looks and smells like. You could also easily do a compression test on each of the cylinders with it sitting on the ground, looks like the starter is on it so it should turn over. That's the safest bet. Just need a battery and a compression testing setup. Pull all the plugs and go after it one cylinder at a time.
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Sun May 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Well it had been a long cold winter here in the northeast and haven't got much accomplished. Now with the warmer weather I'd like to get this van on the road. The engine I posted back in February ended up being sold. A friend of mine is looking to sell his 67 Mustang 200ci engine. I'm not super mechanically inclined but believe this should drop right in.. Can anyone confirm this?

Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions.. Image10
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun May 10, 2015 1:25 pm

should fit!
    Econolove
    Econolove

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2014-10-13

Post by Econolove Sun May 10, 2015 2:11 pm

It will fit. Just did that same swap on my wife's van. Im not a mechanic and I managed to do it so Im willing to bet you'll be just fine!
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Sat May 30, 2015 2:20 pm

Ok soooo.. I was at an auction locally for a shop which was closing. The owner who was retiring had a warehouse full of equipment, supplies and cars. I spoke with him prior to the auction and he stated he had a 200ci engine and transmission out of a 67 Mustang. He said he personally drove the Mustang into the shop to do an engine swap for a family member. It had 66k miles on it when removed. He confidently said "its good to go".. So I got my number and figured I'd throw out a few bids. Fortunately it came up in the morning. Even with a 200+ people there I stole it for $90 given the same engine just sold on eBay for $551 without the trans or engine stand! I got the engine, trans and engine stand which is almost new with a $99.99 price tag still on it! Later in the afternoon as more people milled about and saw it sitting in the corner, I could have probably sold the engine 10 times and made a couple hundred bucks! Here are a few pics. Any thoughts or observations would be appreciated. I can't wait to get started going over it. I apologize for the pics, they always get cut off on this forum. Please excuse my messy garage!

Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions.. 67m1_210

Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions.. 67m5_210

Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions.. 67m7_210

Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions.. 67m8_210

Help identifying this engine.. and a few swap questions.. 67m6_210
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat May 30, 2015 2:56 pm

appears as said!!="Good to go!!"
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Sat May 30, 2015 5:44 pm

That is awesome! What a deal. You should be able to recoup more than what you've got into it when you sell the transmission and stand Smile One thing you might consider doing, if it were me I'd go ahead and rebuild the carb. They are super easy to rebuild. Get a kit for it and a gallon of chem-dip and you're good to go. At the very least I'd pull the lid off the carb and look in the bowl. If it's been sitting there a long time it's probably all varnished and crusty.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat May 30, 2015 8:28 pm

Congrats on a Fantastic Score! Looks like you got an unbelievable deal!! That's like driving to work and getting green lights the entire way! I'm stoked for you, man! cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Sun May 31, 2015 5:36 am

Hey Kyle

What a score!
    You are lucky man.

Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun May 31, 2015 8:53 am

Great deal indeed. cheers SCORE cheers
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Sun May 31, 2015 7:26 pm

Thanks guys! My buddy from work got me to go to this auction because he wanted to bid on a 64 Corvette for his Florida beach house. While I was stuck at work the day before he went down to preview the auction and saw this engine sitting in the shop. Think I owe him a case.. Or maybe a few cases of beer for tipping me off on this one! I will rebuild the carb and thoroughly go over it before dropping it in the van. Hopefully I can get this thing on the road in time for the Northeast Van Show! I will share some pics soon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:40 am