VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Synthetic Oil vs. Petroleum Oil

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Synthetic Oil vs. Petroleum Oil  Empty Synthetic Oil vs. Petroleum Oil

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:12 am

Motor rebuild is almost done and trying to determine whether to go with synthetic vs. petroleum based motor oil.

I know the motor will get broken in with traditional oil and whatever else is recommended.

I've switched my modern cars and '87 German motor to synthetic.

Anyone running synthetic or have any pros or cons based on knowledge/experience?

I realize that I can't go back to petroleum based oil once I start synthetic.

Motor will be pretty stock 350 and I don't foresee that changing at any point.

Thanks!
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Synthetic Oil vs. Petroleum Oil  Empty Re: Synthetic Oil vs. Petroleum Oil

Post by samsvan Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:18 am

What happens if you go back to real oil after running synthetic?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:54 am

go with synthetic!! yet!! if the engine is =a NON ROLLER LIFTER engine ( I suspect it is) = make sure u add the zinc additive to each oil change!! There is NO reason u cant go back to a regular oil- thats another myth from long ago now!! affraid cheers so u know -im still a believer on changing oil & filter @ least every 4000 miles too!! cheers I have engines here that have syn oil in them for over 200,000. now - never a problem & i also have gone back to regular oil;s in the past also. never a problem!!
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:17 pm

Good, I didn't want to blow up my daily driver.
    Thanks, Sam
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:45 pm

If I started running synthetic oil in a brand new rebuilt engine I wouldn't ever go back to conventional oil. I have read that you can go back to conventional oil if you use synthetic or go to synthetic oil if your engine has always had conventional oil ran in it. I have read that synthetic oil is better than conventional motor oil and it lasts longer. I have read that you only have to change it every 8-10 thousand miles vs every 3 thousand miles with conventional motor oil. If true the extra cost of synthetic oil would probably come close to the cost of synthetic oil. I personally can't afford to run synthetic oil in my vehicles but would most definitely run it in them if I could.

Last edited by HandiVanMan on Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    billo
    billo

Number of posts : 274
    Registration date : 2008-11-03

Post by billo Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:21 pm

I started running syn oil in my 2001 dodge van(bought new) after the first six months. I still change the oil every 5000 miles. now has 210,000 miles on it, the bottom of the engine still looks new. no leaks or dribbles of oil anywhere. I am sold on synthetic oil.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:20 pm