VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Joe Van
L L
6 posters

Seats w/ integrated belts (ABTS)

L L
    L L

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2015-01-12

Seats w/ integrated belts (ABTS) Empty Seats w/ integrated belts (ABTS)

Post by L L Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:19 pm

Hi everyone, I just joined and am currently looking for the right van, but am trying to plan ahead a little.

Has anyone installed front buckets or a rear bench w/ integrated seat belts? Assuming you can find something that fits, I'm wondering how you did it and where/how you reinforced the brackets and mounts. I'm looking at some of the original brackets on these vans and they seem pretty skinny - I'm wondering if they should even be considered when trying to adapt a seat with built in belts.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Seats w/ integrated belts (ABTS) Empty Re: Seats w/ integrated belts (ABTS)

Post by Joe Van Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:32 am

Welcome To VV..!!!.. cheers ..Most guy's use the "Hummer" 3 point seat belt but on mine I used the universal buckle lap belt and screwed them in the factory holes...Good Luck on your search... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Lift-Vintage-Buckle-Non-Retractable-Universal-Lap-Seat-Belt-60-Black-/251777777016?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a9f1ffd78&vxp=mtr

Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 pm

It is best to attach the belts to the van frame rather than to the seat.
    L L
    L L

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2015-01-12

Post by L L Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:42 am

Barnabas wrote:It is best to attach the belts to the van frame rather than to the seat.

Just wondering why you think that? If you can find some seats that were originally designed to have integrated belts and if you mount/reinforce the brackets securely to the floor (I'm thinking simply some 1/8 plate underneath or similar), then it seems the only weak point to consider would be the seat brackets. I don't know how beefy the brackets need to be to handle a couple hundred pounds coming to a sudden stop.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:06 pm

I haven't been around a lot of the integral set ups, just a couple trucks. But the ones I have had have a lot of structure to them that might be hard to work with height wise. Width isn't the only obstacle in the Chevys anyway. To high and it's like sitting on a lawn tractor.
    Van crazy

Number of posts : 533
    Registration date : 2011-08-04

Post by Van crazy Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:36 pm

I plan on using seats from chevy extended 2001 cab or similar in rear, integral belts. and other models hit the bone yards to see whats out there. I hope to hit atleast 1 crossmember and add a crossmember when need be. Use caution metal will sheer like paper with the right amount of force. I would think 1000 2000 lbs of force in a server crash.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:02 pm

these have integral belts
    Seats w/ integrated belts (ABTS) Dscn0214
    Seats w/ integrated belts (ABTS) Dscn0215
    Seats w/ integrated belts (ABTS) Dscn0510
    Seats w/ integrated belts (ABTS) Dscn0217
    Seats w/ integrated belts (ABTS) Dscn0219

from  a 1994 ford aerostar van with the fold down seat option.  Good for camping
    The brackets I made make the seats interchangable to either spot.
    Any seat with integril belts has to be fastened to the van real well otherwise the only thing the belt is going to do is keep the seat attched to your ass as you go throught the windshield. If its a bench seat it might have three people on it when in an acident so it would have to suport that possibly 5oolbs of people under a 6 or 7 G load break away force.

just something to think about.

m1D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:01 am