VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Augie Hartkoff- Racing Ledgend=Texas

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Augie Hartkoff- Racing Ledgend=Texas Empty Augie Hartkoff- Racing Ledgend=Texas

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:24 am

In my early days racing -late teens- there was this man - "Hands" Augie Hartkoff- always raced chevys- in later years only station wagons. He was reputed to be the best carb builder in texas!! He suffered after high school a disease that allowed him to start growing again!. When grown his hands were so large- i remember watching him drive his chev down the strip with 1 hand covering completely the 16' inch steering wheel!! He was also known for shifting his hurst shifter equipped 4 speed trans & breaking off the shifter handle!! affraid His wedding ring finger was so big that a 50 cent piece coil would go thru the inside!!!!!!!! He was as gentle as any man could be!! Once @ a race in San Antonio,texas - i was witness to a man that had a flat on his race car - & ni jack!! he had a spare & no one would loan him a jack!! Augie noticed this - went over to help him= told him to loosen the lug nuts & get ready to change the tire. Augie went to the rear of the car & LIFTED it off the ground & the man changed the tire!! God's honest truth.!! herea a piz of augie & there are many writeups on him even in "Hot Rod " Magazine after his death. My older sister went to school with him & augie even baby sitted her oldest child early on. heres a documentary on this racing ledgend= http://www.motoraustin.com/buzz/topic.aspx?topic-id=83
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Augie Hartkoff- Racing Ledgend=Texas Empty Re: Augie Hartkoff- Racing Ledgend=Texas

Post by vanny Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Cool story Matt, Thanks for posting!!! Very Happy

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:14 pm